Re: [Revlist] Re: Crates, Chests and Boxes... oh my!! - And Markings.

  • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 1, 2008
      Peggy, if I recall from an earlier post, some of the extant examples had
      bottoms that were let into a dado, and would have been much stronger. Kind of
      depends what was going in the crate; lighter stuff could have gotten by with
      bottoms just nailed on as in the plans. Heavier stuff would have required
      letting the bottom into a groove cut into each side.

      Just my 2 pence worth.

      Cheers,
      John

      peg11thgen@... writes:

      Regarding these BAR plans-
      I asked my father-in-law, a cabinet-maker, to take a look, and his
      question is this: Why did they go to the trouble to rabbet the side
      panels, and then just nail the bottom on instead of setting it in? The
      cargo was pretty heavy to take a chance like that. He thinks they must
      have been smarter than that.
      Does anyone know whether these plans are copying an original chest?
      Any other comments on that detail?
      Peggy

      True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school
      class is running the country.

      Kurt Vonnegut

      48)

    • raynersteve
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 2, 2008
        Nails from Fort Stanwix.

        Hi All;

        I just wanted to follow up with a worthwhile resource for this topic.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” has a section about nails recovered during
        the archaeological investigations at Fort Stanwix.

        “Rose-head (fig 31a) Rose-head nails appear in all sizes but not all
        specimens of this type have rounded heads; many were flat with only
        short slopes near the edges.” p. 51.

        [In other words - the term ‘rose-head’ is used in a sense similar to
        Band-Aid, Coke or Kleenex, rather than precisely.]

        Fig. 31 indeed shows a range of spikes and nails. Only a few examples
        of the approximately 24,600 nails found are illustrated, of course.

        A few examples are nails in the range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” These
        tend to have tapered square shanks ending in a sharp point, and
        flattened or just slightly domed heads.

        There are some larger nails in the range of 4-1 / 4” to 4-1 / 2”, one
        of which has something resembling a ‘rose-head'.

        Several large spikes are illustrated also, 6 to 8” in length, as well
        as a range of nails and staples for specialized applications.

        See pages p. 51-55 for text, illustrations and considerable
        statistical analysis.

        It seems that the size range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” would be suitable
        for light carpentry work, such as chests.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” by the way is a very good and in my
        opinion, very useful resource. Lots of findngs on personal items,
        utensils, tools, ceramics and glass found at the fort.

        Hanson, Lee, and Hsu, Dick Ping; “Casemates and Cannonballs,
        Archaeological Investigations at Fort Stanwix National Park.” Inited
        States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, USGPO,
        Washington DC 1975.

        Best Regards,

        Steve Rayner