Re: Crates, Chests and Boxes... - And Markings.

  • Lloyd Moler
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
      There is a good article on Marking Shipping Items at this site
      http://www.northwestjournal.ca/XVII3.htm

      Though a slight bit late for our period, you can get a good idea of
      how items being shipped looked during the time.

      I am also posting a picture in the Photo section titled "Dock
      Scene." I think it was painted during the period and it shows items
      on the dock in England with markings very similar to those in the
      Northwest Journal site. There is even a bale with an East India
      Company marking on it.

      East India Company shipped a lot more than tea. They were probably
      the largest trading company in the Caribbean as well as the Far East
      at the time. Notice in the painting, the blanket that appears to
      have been shipped in the crock container. They had a brisk business
      in sugar, and molasses for the manufacture of rum.

      Hope this helps improve your camps image. A few properly marked
      bales and shipping crates and barrels laying about definitely
      improves the looks of things in my minds eye.

      Lloyd Moler
      Idaho State Lt. ALRA
      Priest River, ID
    • raynersteve
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hi John;

        Indeed, John, that seems to have been the method of marking,
        distinctive for that particular container.

        Best Regards,

        Steve

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Sgt42RHR@... wrote:

        > Steve,
        >
        > So, if I'm understanding this correctly, a shipping container
        (crate, cask,
        > bale, etc.) might be marked (in this case) with the "B" in a circle
        and
        > numbered "34"?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > John
        >

        > steverayner@... writes:
        >
        > Here's another good item on period shipping marks:
        >
        > _http://www.haverforhttp://www.havhttp://www.hahttp:/_
        > (http://www.haverford.edu/library/special/aids/jewer/)
        >
        > "John Ewer Letters, 1772-1776
        > Ms. Coll. 957"
        >
        > Click on the first illustration (a capital "B" in a circle) to show a
        > larger view of the document. "Mark'd & Number'd as p Margin" You'll
        > see the description and how the system of marks works.
        >

        > John M. Johnston,
        > "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry
        >

        > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

      • raynersteve
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hi Lloyd & All;

          Thank you, good sir, for the link. Indeed it shows the marking system
          used by the NW Company and it appears to be related to the systems
          used in commerce as a whole, though as you say, it is somewhat later -
          and styles of lettering, etc. did evolve.

          The East India Company was certainly famous, Lloyd and all, but one
          might wonder about it's relevance -compared to- marks actually known
          to have been used by merchants and military departments within the
          Colonies/States in the era 1775-1782 - especially when we may have
          documents showing what goods were specifically delivered to the armies
          or even the specific regiments we portray.

          The several shipping/transport documents quickly found in the GWP,
          suggest that State and other archives may have similar documents.

          Those who study the Continental Army may have actually already
          collected copies of documents listing what clothing and supplies were
          shipped to their regiment in a given year or location.

          These are the lists that show how many coats, shirts, breeches, etc.,
          or what kind and color cloth was actually sent. It is quite likely
          that the -actual- marks used on those bales, casks or chests, are
          recorded in the margin of the very same documents.

          What could be better than to use that information?

          There could be nothing better, IMHO, to freehand copy the shipping
          mark and package numbers as they appear as they appear on the
          paperwork, copying the style, in flat black oil, or even better,
          milk-based paint.

          If we are looking for models for lettering to beef up our repertoire,
          I would recommend the title pages of books of the 1750-1782 era. I
          would be careful not to go past 1782 because several new font styles
          were introduced after the war.

          Markings such as these would be the finishing touch after we have
          decided that we really do need to have this stuff and accurately
          re-created the chest, cask or bale.

          The earthenware jar in the Samuel Scott dock scene is very
          interesting. It is of a type commonly used for the shipment of olives
          and such goods from Spain and the Mediterranean. Why there is a bundle
          of fabric spilling out of it is a mystery known perhaps, only to the
          painter and the 18th century dock workers he depicts.

          Best Regards to All,

          Steve Rayner

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd Moler" <firelock@...> wrote:

          > There is a good article on Marking Shipping Items at this site
          > http://www.northwestjournal.ca/XVII3.htm
          >
          > Though a slight bit late for our period, you can get a good idea of
          > how items being shipped looked during the time.
          >
          > I am also posting a picture in the Photo section titled "Dock
          > Scene." I think it was painted during the period and it shows items
          > on the dock in England with markings very similar to those in the
          > Northwest Journal site. There is even a bale with an East India
          > Company marking on it.
          >
          > East India Company shipped a lot more than tea. They were probably
          > the largest trading company in the Caribbean as well as the Far East
          > at the time. Notice in the painting, the blanket that appears to
          > have been shipped in the crock container. They had a brisk business
          > in sugar, and molasses for the manufacture of rum.
          >
          > Hope this helps improve your camps image. A few properly marked
          > bales and shipping crates and barrels laying about definitely
          > improves the looks of things in my minds eye.
          >
          > Lloyd Moler
          > Idaho State Lt. ALRA
          > Priest River, ID

        • raynersteve
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
> [...]

            > how items being shipped looked during the time.
            >
            > I am also posting a picture in the Photo section titled "Dock
            > Scene." I think it was painted during the period and it shows items
            > on the dock in England with markings very similar to those in the
            > Northwest Journal site. There is even a bale with an East India
            > Company marking on it.
            >
            > East India Company shipped a lot more than tea. They were probably
            > the largest trading company in the Caribbean as well as the Far East
            > at the time. Notice in the painting, the blanket that appears to
            > have been shipped in the crock container. They had a brisk business
            > in sugar, and molasses for the manufacture of rum.
            >
            > Hope this helps improve your camps image. A few properly marked
            > bales and shipping crates and barrels laying about definitely
            > improves the looks of things in my minds eye.

          • Eric Bloomquist
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
              Steve,
              Regardless of the age of the signs, isn't there a tempting connection to the Revwar, at least for us... I seem to recall that a Sjt.of the King's Regiment went on to be a leading partner in the NW Co.... just don't recall which one, (James Phillips? Bailey?). He had been working part-time for Edward Pollard the Commissary at Niagara and Sutler to the Regiment.

              Eric B.

              raynersteve <steverayner@...> wrote: Hi Lloyd & All;

            • Bernard Carol Kazwick
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                Thank you. Bernie
              • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Eric,
                  I would tend to agree. International shipping was not limited to the
                  military, in fact international commerce was a cornerstone of the British empire.
                  I doubt that when the RevWar ended the system of marking commercial shipping
                  containers was scrapped in favor of a new system. I am confident in fact
                  that it did not and that it continued to evolve. I suspect that a symbol and a
                  number or a written label during the RevWar period and one 25 years later
                  probably differed primarily in the script of the lettering.

                  But hey, I've been wrong before!

                  Cheers,
                  John
                  sjteric@... writes:

                  Steve,
                  Regardless of the age of the signs, isn't there a tempting connection to the
                  Revwar, at least for us... I seem to recall that a Sjt.of the King's
                  Regiment went on to be a leading partner in the NW Co.... just don't recall which
                  one, (James Phillips? Bailey?). He had been working part-time for Edward
                  Pollard the Commissary at Niagara and Sutler to the Regiment.

                  Eric B.

                  John M. Johnston,
                  "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry

                  48)

                • raynersteve
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                    Hi Eric;

                    Indeed, one could scarcely move anything on the St. Lawrence - Great
                    Lakes navigation without competing for space with the NWC. Protection
                    of the Fur Trade was after all, the original reason for the 8th being
                    in Canada.

                    A lot of the names in the page kindly provided by Mr. Moler are
                    frequently mentioned in transactions with the 8th.

                    We would just need to fine-tune the information on the web page by
                    looking at dated shipping documents. No doubt there would be some
                    goods destined specifically to Officers of the 8th. One couldn't get
                    much closer to a correct period marking than that.

                    Best Regards,

                    Steve Rayner

                    --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Eric Bloomquist <sjteric@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > how items being shipped looked during the time.
                    > >
                    > > I am also posting a picture in the Photo section titled "Dock
                    > > Scene." I think it was painted during the period and it shows items
                    > > on the dock in England with markings very similar to those in the
                    > > Northwest Journal site. There is even a bale with an East India
                    > > Company marking on it.
                    > >
                    > > East India Company shipped a lot more than tea. They were probably
                    > > the largest trading company in the Caribbean as well as the Far East
                    > > at the time. Notice in the painting, the blanket that appears to
                    > > have been shipped in the crock container. They had a brisk business
                    > > in sugar, and molasses for the manufacture of rum.
                    > >
                    > > Hope this helps improve your camps image. A few properly marked
                    > > bales and shipping crates and barrels laying about definitely
                    > > improves the looks of things in my minds eye.

                  • raynersteve
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                      Hi John & All;

                      Just to clarify on the NWC...

                      The basis system is as far as I can tell, valid to the AWI era.

                      What we would want to do is to refine the focus on the basis of
                      merchants who were members active during the AWI. Documents specific
                      to the era are lodged in various archives, which would enable us to do
                      that. Once we had specific documents in hand, we would know how
                      specific shipments were marked, possibly, even right down to the exact
                      bale.

                      Cheers!

                      Steve Rayner

                      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Sgt42RHR@... wrote:

                      > Eric,
                      > I would tend to agree. International shipping was not limited to the
                      > military, in fact international commerce was a cornerstone of the
                      British empire.
                      > I doubt that when the RevWar ended the system of marking commercial
                      shipping
                      > containers was scrapped in favor of a new system. I am confident
                      in fact
                      > that it did not and that it continued to evolve. I suspect that a
                      symbol and a
                      > number or a written label during the RevWar period and one 25 years
                      later
                      > probably differed primarily in the script of the lettering.
                      >
                      > But hey, I've been wrong before!
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > John
                      > sjteric@... writes:
                      >
                      > Steve,
                      > Regardless of the age of the signs, isn't there a tempting
                      connection to the
                      > Revwar, at least for us... I seem to recall that a Sjt.of the King's
                      > Regiment went on to be a leading partner in the NW Co.... just
                      don't recall which
                      > one, (James Phillips? Bailey?). He had been working part-time for
                      Edward
                      > Pollard the Commissary at Niagara and Sutler to the Regiment.
                      >
                      > Eric B.
                      >

                      > John M. Johnston,
                      > "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry
                      >

                      > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                      Music.