Re: Did anyone wear straw hats?Thoughts

  • Harriettdrhm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2008
      List, This is a good thread to review. I note in just the few postings, that
      the hat could be trimmed and looped as your heavy felt/wool/beaver/oxhair/or
      ect hats could be. I had been informed that they were of a very plain sort:
      and straw hatt trimmed in green silk is not plain!
      And straw hats in the Southern Sun(or a warm New England Summer)make more
      sence that a heavy wooly one, at least for this Civilian.
      I would like to hear more of the Flat Top to the crown verses the Round
      Tops. If the Amish hatts of 2008 are flat tops, one would guess that it makes
      that style to the 1800s(when these folks stopped making fashion changes to
      their wardrobes)but how early is it, then? Flat top hatts, of one species of
      another is the reigning style of men's hat, down to our day(with a few notable
      exceptions, some Western Hatts, for example)
      We, I, would like to know more
      Some thoughts from the Maine Woods
      Squire Anthony

    • wa3ngg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        In a message dated 1/31/2008 3:15:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        Harriettdrhm@... writes:

        Some thoughts from the Maine Woods

        While on the subject, I made a Canada Cap for hunting and for camp wear on
        cold days or nights. The name begs the question. Are these at all
        appropriate for civilian or military use anywhere south of New England, or is it like
        duck hunting from a birch bark canoe in Maryland?
        Thanks,
        Bill Deutermann

      • Lloyd Moler
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
          Bill,
          Didn't Ben Franklin wear one while in Philla.?
          I know he was painted wearing a fur cap once and I have understood that
          He wore a Canadian Cap in Paris while he was negotiating with the
          French.

          Lloyd Moler