Documentation: Drum signals from Simes

  • Don N. Hagist
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2008
      It is always useful to look to the source of the information before
      discussing it too much.
      Everyone says the drum signals are "from Simes". Did you know that
      Thomas Simes wrote six military texts between 1767 and 1780 (some of
      which went into later printings)? This is covered concisely in the
      article "Thomas Simes, Military Writer", The Brigade Dispatch Vol.
      32 No. 4, but sadly people are more intent on bashing the Brigade
      than noticing the useful information that the organization provides.
      The drum signals first appear in Simes' first book, "The Military
      Medley" (London, 1767). On page 202 and 203 the signals are listed,
      followed by:

      "N. B. There is no order to practice these signals"

      So the original source of the information makes it clear that these
      were not required, never mind widely used.
      The preceeding paragraph explains that soldiers must be taught to
      recognize drum signals such as reveille, retreat, taptoo, to arms,
      parley, etc. It also says "As they are taught to march and perform
      their exercise, maneouvres, &c. it is also very proper to teach them
      every other sound and signal."
      Very proper, but not ordered. And clearly, for the benefit of
      training, not common use in the field.
      Granted, these signals appear in at least one American orderly book,
      but that document dates to the early part of the war when the army
      (and the unit in question?) were still new, still training.
      Don N. Hagist
      22d Regt. F.
    • bdodgeweaver
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2008
        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Don N. Hagist" <dhagist@...> wrote:

        > It is always useful to look to the source of the information before
        > discussing it too much.
        > Everyone says the drum signals are "from Simes". Did you know that
        > Thomas Simes wrote six military texts between 1767 and 1780 (some
        of
        > which went into later printings)? . . . Granted, these signals
        appear in at least one American orderly book, but that document dates
        to the early part of the war when the army (and the unit in
        question?) were still new, still training.
        > Don N. Hagist
        > 22d Regt. F.

        Further to Don's observation, I take it the orderly book he refers to
        is that of the 2NJ while stationed at Ft. Ticonderoga in 1776. The
        reference also notes that the various signals were to be used, so
        this is not merely advice, but something sought to be put into
        practice. My own thought is that the facing and wheeling movements
        were likely used only on a parade and training ground, but some of
        the other stuff seems to have made it beyond that (such as the use of
        the preparative and cease fire).

        Don - is this the orderly book you had in mind?

        Thad Weaver
        German Rt.

        PS - When can fans expect "Patrick O'Kelley's fantasy fiction"?
        Maybe this one gets sold in a plain brown wrapper.
      • Patrick O'Kelley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
          Howdy,

          > PS - When can fans expect "Patrick O'Kelley's fantasy fiction"?
          > Maybe this one gets sold in a plain brown wrapper.

          Just hang around the campfire the next time me and Bert get
          together. If you bring beer, it will be R rated.

          Patrick O'Kelley
          goober.com@...

          Currently working on my next book, which is an account of some stuff
          that happened in my military career.
        • Jay Callaham
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
            From: "Patrick O'Kelley" <goober.com@...>

            > Howdy,
            >
            > > PS - When can fans expect "Patrick O'Kelley's fantasy fiction"?
            > > Maybe this one gets sold in a plain brown wrapper.
            >
            > Just hang around the campfire the next time me and Bert get
            > together. If you bring beer, it will be R rated.
            >
            > Patrick O'Kelley
            > goober.com@...

            "R"???????????????????????? "R"???????? When did you start cleaning up your act?<^;\)

            WELCOME BACK BERT!

            Jay
            Coldm Regt
          • Patrick O'Kelley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
              Howdy,

              > > Just hang around the campfire the next time me and Bert get
              > > together. If you bring beer, it will be R rated.
              > >
              > > Patrick O'Kelley
              > > goober.com@...
              >
              > "R"???????????????????????? "R"???????? When did you start cleaning
              up your act?<^;\)

              > WELCOME BACK BERT!

              The next event (Guilford) I'll have the JROTC students. I tone down
              everything a notch. Normally you would have to work your way through
              the donkeys, midgets and tubs of cool whip.

              Patrick O'Kelley
              goober.com@...
            • Bert Puckett
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
                Howdy,

                > > Just hang around the campfire the next time me and Bert get
                > > together. If you bring beer, it will be R rated.
                > >
                > > Patrick O'Kelley
                > > goober.com@. ..
                >
                > "R"????????? ????????? ?????? "R"???????? When did you start cleaning
                up your act?<^;\)

                > WELCOME BACK BERT!

                >>everything a notch. Normally you would have to work your way through
                the donkeys, midgets and tubs of cool whip.

                Patrick O'Kelley
                goober.com@juno. com

                Well hell I have been hanging out with you sense I was 13 ....I came out OK...I guess .