RE: [Revlist] EXTREME farbisms, was Re: Mount Vernon and hair

  • erin michaels
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 1, 2007
      Dear friends,

      I'm going to jump on this wagon. I heard cell phone ringtones multiple times this weekend, and it really annoyed me. I was at Mount Vernon to be in the re-enactment, and cell phone ringtones was one of the last things I wanted to hear/see/experience. Please, pretty please, place your cell phones on vibrate.

      YMHOS
      Erin Michaels
      1MR
      "I have heard that in war Haste can be Folly but have never seen Delay that was Wise." Sun-tzu, The Art of War

      To: Revlist@yahoogroups.comFrom: goober.com@...: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:07:26 +0000Subject: [Revlist] EXTREME farbisms, was Re: Mount Vernon and hair

      Howdy,> One more observation from the weekend was how little farbism I noticed. This was a pretty good weekend, and the Southern Battalion (The Carolina Brigade with attachments) got to hone even more of our battalion drill. The only thing that really annoyed me was the farbism. I'm not talking about hair or anything superficial that can't be recognized from a distance. What I am talking about is the age old psychological need to have a car in camp, until morning, or to have a lantern stand. I was amazed at this, since we have outgrown this bicentennialism down here, but it seemed that about every 10 tents there was the ultimate farbware of a lantern stand. This was also on a night with a full moon, and you didn't even need any lighting at all to see where you are. These lantern stands continued to pervade the camp throughout the weekend until someone physically took them down and threw them in the tents. Within a few hours they would come back out. Why is there a need for this damn thing? Why isn't it just totally outlawed already? The other thing was the cars in camp, til morning. Some unit commander (the cars were parked in the northern and mid-atlantic area) should have found out who's cars they were, and moved the damn things. There are some folks who just have to have their car right beside them, and I don't know why. The newest psychological need is the cell phones. Folks, can you go a weekend without checking your email or walking around the camp talking out loud to your buddies on your cell phone?>We can argue all day about facial hair but it's a > fact that queued long hair was without dispute the predominant hairstyle, and > the majority of the re-enactors this weekend did not have proper hair. Unless you are in the Carolina units. By general order, you can have your hair long and queued up, or you can have hair cut short, so it resembles a modern day military haircut. Works out well for our military folks. I have posted those references from the South Carolina orderly books numerous times, but since I am at work I don't have access to it at this time. Patrick O'Kelleygoober.com@...

    • matt vincett
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 4, 2007
        Hey, and just to drive it home a little more,.... I
        have copies of a merchants manuscritps, (baisicly his
        books) HWere he notes selling cotton cards, this
        was in about 1777/8. He travelled on the edge of the
        apalacians through the upper peidmont and as far north
        as pa. I understand he was primarially located
        (based) near charolotte NC.

        Matt

        http://tv.yahoo.com/