80181Re: 225 years ago (Queen's Rangers)

  • Gary Corrado
    Jan 5, 2006
      Brendan:

      OK , the Haarman references are definitely 1782-83. I was referring to
      1780-81. I agree with the black cuff for both corps in the 82-83 time
      frame. Both corps were cantoned together(in Huntington, Long Island)
      and I know the QR's were hurting for clothes and materials. I can
      plainly see the junior officers now commanding each of those corps
      getting together and economizing on one coat.
      That dragoon troop who arrived in Virginia with basically nothing, was
      Capt. Cooke's troop, late of the 17th dragoons.Saunders never left
      Charleston till 1782, and seemed not to hurt for supplies. The
      quartermaster of his troop was even doling out gear to other
      Provincial dragoon troops being raised there.That quartermaster even
      makes mention of teaching the carbine exercise while there,surprising
      since carbines seem to have been in short supply.

      Gary Corrado, QR

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bdtm2004" <BDTMorrissey@a...> wrote:

      > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Corrado" <qrranger@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Your reference to the dragoons is interesting. Rather I thought it
      > > was the other way around, where Tarleton got the idea of the
      > > sleeved waistcoats from his prior campaigning with the Rangers soon
      > > after the formation of the Legion. It also appears the dragoons of
      > > both corps wore the same accoutrements. Soon after a newly raised
      > > troop of QR dragoons joined the Rangers in Virginia "without a
      > > single cavalry, appointment, or arms" according to Simcoe,their new
      > > equipment was instead sent to the Legion, by direct order of
      > > Cornwallis. The Legion were hurting for equipment at that point,
      > > also wearing white according to Simcoe, not green. So it is more
      > > of a case of the Legion wearing Ranger dragoon gear, rather than
      > > the other way around.
      > >

      > Gary,
      >
      > Thanks for the info on headgear. Interesting that you mention a brim -
      > do you think they would have added peaks? (The Murray watercolours
      > don't show any, but it was a widespread source of complaint about
      > the "Keppel" light infantry cap.)
      >
      > As regards your comments above, we may be talking about different
      > periods. I had gained the impression from some articles I'd read
      > (but chiefly the Haarman one in JSAHR) that post-Yorktown - maybe the
      > 1782 clothing issue? - the green jacket with black cuffs and collars
      > was sent out to both corps, possibly as an economy measure. I have a
      > copy of Haarman's article somewhere and I shall try and dig it out to
      > quote. Is the light dragoon troop you refer to that of Saunders, or
      > is it another?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Brendan Morrissey
      >
      > > Gary Corrado, QR
      > >

      > > -- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bdtm2004" <BDTMorrissey@a...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Greg,
      > > >
      > > > Further to Gary's answers, it seems likely that green-faced-green
      > > was
      > > > the uniform throughout the unit's active period (ie from the
      > > > Philadelphia campaign until their capture at Yorktown in 1781).
      > > The
      > > > main body of the regiment - the battalion companies - were
      > probably
      > > > dressed similarly to the grenadiers, but without the latter's
      > > > distinctions. By the way, the centre companies were not
      > riflemen,
      > > as
      > > > is sometimes stated - th:at is a mistake made by Lefferts whilst
      > he
      > > > was researching the unit and got it confused it with a later
      > > version
      > > > raised in Canada.
      > > >
      > > > Simcoe refers to leather caps replacing poor quality "contract
      > > hats"
      > > > (usually assumed to be either laced tricornes, or part-cocked -
      > > > ie "slouch" - hats) around 1780-81. Also about that time, part
      > of
> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic