140443Re: Religion

  • mbrmanning2
    Dec 10, 2013
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, TheSaltyLantern Stark <thesaltylantern@...> wrote:

      > Mr. Johnson,
      > I would ask that you double check your beliefs against actual history. Read Thomas Jefferson's "Notes on the State of Virginia" again Query 18, 1781
      >

      > "And can the liberties
      > of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a
      > conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of
      > God? That they are not to be violated
      > but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I
      > reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."
      >

      > Thomas Jefferson
      >
      > Notes on the State of Virginia
      >
      > Query XVIII, 1781

      This quote uses the word "God" which is perfectly consistent with a Deist's beliefs or a Jew's, for that matter.

      In short, nothing regarding religious affiliation can be discerned from this statement other than Jefferson believed in a supreme being - or at least purported to - at the time of writing.

      YHOS
      Michael Manning
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic