115406Re: Maintenance and Cleanliness on 1776 Campaign

  • raynersteve
    Mar 1 7:05 AM
      Hi John;

      Thanks for your insights, but I'm seeing a different picture.

      A large part of the premise we are examining is that the troops did
      cleaning and maintenance as part of a daily routine enforced where
      need be by the Non-commissioned Officers. If this was the case, why do
      we find these intermittent orders from the Commanding Officers for the
      troops to resume cleaning? The only logical conclusion is because it
      was not being done on any kind of routine daily basis.

      In the record so far we are seeing orders for light kit, not including
      cleaning equipment.

      We are seeing orders for washing linens such as shirts (health) and an
      order to wash seriously soiled trousers (slovenliness).

      But that's all we're seeing at best. We're not seeing a high, daily,
      customary standard of appearance at all. At best, spotty and intermittent.

      As far as the maintenance of firelocks is concerned, perhaps that's
      academic. We would not want to create a hazard to safety.

      Lieutenant Hale is a very good example of how campaigning affected the
      Officers, even early in the war.

      Best Regards,

      Steve Rayner

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "John U. Rees" <ju_rees@...> wrote:

      > Steve, What you are failing to see (I think) is that they did what
      > they could, when they could. For the 1781 references, Richmond was in
      > the midst of the campaign, not at the beginning, and the same goes
      > for the Williamsburg reference. It was not till they reached
      > Portsmouth that they could stand down and be considered at campaign's
      > end.
      >
      > The 29 November 1776 reference for the 17th Regiment was in the
      > middle of the pursuit of GW's forces. It looks as if the 17th went
      > all the way to Trenton, so, no, they were not yet in winter quarters.
      > We in the 40th do a campaign impression; we are dirty, but we do what
      > we can to "clean up" at times. The original troops did pretty much
      > the same. So, it was not yes or no, black or white, but as usual,
      > varying shades of grey.
      >
      > Here is an officer's letter that goes far to show what campaign
      > conditions did to apparel and equipment, but still the men did their
      > best (visions of Continental soldiers looking like scarecrows but
      > with powdered hair come to mind ...)
      >
      > 233-234.
      > William John Hale, lieutenant, Grenadier Company, 45th Regiment,
      > Philadelphia, 20 January 1777.
      > "I am extremely concerned at being obliged to inform you that I have
      > not received a single article of my baggage, excepting my bedstead
      > from the Regt. Whether taken, driven to the West Indies, or not sent
      > is impossible for me to say, the want of it, however, reduced me to
      > the same distress as if totally lost; six shirts were my Campaign
      > stock, and by unavoidable bad usage they are now barely serviceable
      > for lint. My jacket (an old coat turned) cannot now be resembled to
      > any earthly clothing … In this distress I have been forced to borrow
      > from Bellew the sum of twenty guineas, which with my pay have barely
      > sufficed, to get me a suit of clothes and six shirts. Could you form
      > an idea of the misery of the Army you would envy a common sailor. My
      > epaulets cost a guinea and a half each, my linen, 6/- the exclusive
      > making, scarlet cloth six dollars, white 25/- sterl[ing]. … Let me
      > add the enormous price of every article of life; meat for a
      > considerable time before the taking of Mud Island 3s/6d Currency a
      > pound, common brown sugar a dollar …"
      > Lieutenant William Hale, Grenadier Company, 45th Regiment,
      > Walter Harold Wilkin, Some British Soldiers in America (London, Hugh
      > Rees, Ltd., 1914)
      >

      > Cheers,
      >
      > John
      > www.revwar75.com/library/rees
      >

      > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "raynersteve" <steverayner@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi John;
      > >
      > > Thanks for this item, too. Can you or anyone fill in for us where
      > the
      > > 17th were? It's not clear from the orders whether they were at
      > Newark
      > > or another location. Were they on the march or in camp (campaign) or
> [...]
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic