115400Re: Maintenance and Cleanliness on 1781 Campaign

  • raynersteve
    Mar 1, 2009
      Hi John;

      Thanks for this, John.

      The order regarding what was to be carried is very illuminating.
      Especially the allotment of baggage waggons.

      By the dates, when the first orders about belts were given, they were
      at Richmond, which fits pre-campaign cleanup, perhaps. By the second,
      not sure, but at or around Williamsburg, settled down for the time
      being. So for about a full two weeks in transit, they had no coloring
      at all on their belts, apparently didn't bring any with them, and
      finally a promise of a supply. Then they settle down and start
      thinking about belts again. It would be interesting to know if they
      ever got the pipe clay.

      Removing the color from the belts is especially interesting.

      Best Regards,

      Steve Rayner

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "John U. Rees" <ju_rees@...> wrote:

      > Here is something regarding cleanliness from the 1781 Virginia
      > campaign:
      >
      > "Apollo Transport Of[f] Brandon James River 23rd May 1781
      > Orders by Major Ferguson
      > The Quarter Master will issue Canteens Haversacks and Camp
      > Kettles to the Battalion immediately. The Companies to send Returns
      > for their Effectives as this is the only supply the Regiment can
      > possible Receive during the Campaign the Soldiers cannot be to
      > careful to preserve them.
      > Five Regimental Waggons will land with the Regiment. One to each
      > Grand Division the fifth for Major Fergusons Baggage.
      > The Quarter Master will issue an equal proportion of the
      > Trowzers, made since the Embarkation- to each Company to compleat
      > them as near as possible to Two pair per Man.
      > It is positively Ordered that no Soldier lands with more
      > necessaries than his Blanket, Canteen, Haversack, Two pair of
      > Trowzers, Two pair of Stockings, and Two Shirts, and Two pair of good
      > Shoes. The Remaining Necessaries of each Company to be carefully
      > packed up and Orders will be given as soon as possible for its been
      > taken proper care of."
      >
      > "Head Quarters Richmond 18th June 1781 …
      > RO...
      > Officers Commandg Companies to give directions that the Belts of
      > the Mens Pouches and Bayonets are washed as Clean as possible
      > immediately.
      > Horses [i.e., wooden racks] to be made in front of each Company
      > for the Arms"
      >
      > "RO 23rd June 1781 …
      > It is strongly recommended to the Commanding Officers of Companies to
      > pay more attention to the, and in particular that they keep their
      > Accoutrements and Trowzers more clean, they being most shamefully
      > dirty during the March."
      >
      > "RO 3rd July 1781 …
      > Commanding Officers of Companies will give directions for the
      > Accoutrements being coloured with the materials promised this morning
      > Non Commissioned Officers and Soldiers are never to leave the
      > Encampment without their Side Arms."
      > Order book, 43rd Regiment of Foot (British), 23 May 1781 to 25 August
      > 1781, British Museum, London, Mss. 42,449 (transcription by Gilbert
      > V. Riddle).
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > John Rees
      > www.revwar75.com/library/rees
      >

      > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "daniel oconnell"
      > <todanieloconnell@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Radford
      > >
      > > Thanks for this great source (Revwar 75). I didn't know this site
      > was
      > > out there. Thanks heaps.
      > >
      > > Daniel
      > > www.kings8th.com
      > >

      > > R--- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Radford Polinsky" <rpolinsky@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear Steve and List-

      > > > Balderdash.
      > > >
      > > > Please view below some selected transcriptions of an Orderly
> [...]
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic