BBOS

  • kelakos
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
      Trying to get BBOS working. I use SQLyog and I have Python 2.5.2 downloaded on to my desktop. I've tried to follow the BBOS\doc\install.txt directions but I'm running into trouble.

      Step 1: Download Python... done.
      Step 2: Download and install MySQLdb for Python 2.5... if I have SQLyog, do I need this?
      Step 3: Start the MySQLServer that comes with BBOS by running
      <install directory>\BBOS\BBOS\bin\install.bat

      If I double click on the install batch, a DOS screen flashes for half a second and disappears. If I try to Restore from SQL Dump in SQLyog, an error appears. What am I doing wrong? I don't know when/if I need to use Python in this step.

      Step 4: When I click on loadAllAvailableGames.bat, it only runs for a moment as well. This step is supposed take hours to execute according to the install.txt.

      Throughout my floundering *something* must have worked because I have a "gameday" database in my SQLyog left pane with action and hits tables and columns. The problem is there's no data when I run, for example:

      SELECT * FROM action;

      I get column headings but no records.

      What am I doing incorrectly? I fully admit I'm a new user to SQL and relational databases.

      Thanks guys.

      Tom
    • Brian L. Cartwright
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
        >Step 1: Download Python... done.
        >Step 2: Download and install MySQLdb for Python 2.5... if I have SQLyog, do
        >I need this?

        I don't know for sure, but I would think so. MySQLdb allows Python to insert
        records into a MySQL db. I am not familiar with SQLyog, but if it's only an
        interface that allows you to browse tables and run queries, it would not
        provide the functions that MySQLdb does.

        >Step 3: Start the MySQLServer that comes with BBOS by running

        Although BBOS is designed to run with it's own MySQL server, I've had much
        better results using a seperately installed MySQL. I've been using 5.0.

        >If I double click on the install batch, a DOS screen flashes for half a
        >second and disappears.

        To debug, it will help a lot to open a command prompt and navigate to
        <install directory>\BBOS\BBOS\bin. Then the window won't close when
        execution is complete, allowing you to read any error messages.

        >Throughout my floundering *something* must have worked because I have a
        >"gameday" database in my SQLyog left pane with action and hits tables >and
        >columns. The problem is there's no data

        It sounds like the install create the blank db, but Python was unable to
        insert any records into it. Back to step 2.

        Brian
      • kelakos
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
          --- In RetroSQL@yahoogroups.com, "Brian L. Cartwright" <brian.cartwright2@...> wrote:

          > >Step 1: Download Python... done.
          > >Step 2: Download and install MySQLdb for Python 2.5... if I have SQLyog, do
          > >I need this?
          >
          > I don't know for sure, but I would think so. MySQLdb allows Python to insert
          > records into a MySQL db. I am not familiar with SQLyog, but if it's only an
          > interface that allows you to browse tables and run queries, it would not
          > provide the functions that MySQLdb does.
          >
          > >Step 3: Start the MySQLServer that comes with BBOS by running
          >
          > Although BBOS is designed to run with it's own MySQL server, I've had much
          > better results using a seperately installed MySQL. I've been using 5.0.
          >
          > >If I double click on the install batch, a DOS screen flashes for half a
          > >second and disappears.
          >
          > To debug, it will help a lot to open a command prompt and navigate to
          > <install directory>\BBOS\BBOS\bin. Then the window won't close when
          > execution is complete, allowing you to read any error messages.
          >
          > >Throughout my floundering *something* must have worked because I have a
          > >"gameday" database in my SQLyog left pane with action and hits tables >and
          > >columns. The problem is there's no data
          >
          > It sounds like the install create the blank db, but Python was unable to
          > insert any records into it. Back to step 2.
          >
          > Brian

          Thanks Brian for the quick response.

          I've opened up the command prompt. What do I write in after C:\Documents and Settings\Tom>

          The file I need to run is C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\downloads\BBOS\bin\install.bat
        • Kyle W. Willkomm
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
            Yep that's pretty much it.

            Google says SQLyog is a database browser tool.  So you can look at a MySQL database, see what tables are in it, query them, ect.  Just like you can do with the web MySQL client that comes with BBOS and many MySQL/Apache/PHP installs (WAMP servers) called phpMyAdmin.  One of the reasons BBOS comes with its own WAMP server and doesn't make you install your own MySQL (at the expense of performance) is that you get the phpMyAdmin tool with the install and don't have to install something like SQLyog.  But SQLyog is much faster to use than phpMyAdmin so its nice you have it.

            Anyhow, yes, you have to install MySQLdb for Python to be able to insert records into its own or your own MySQL database.  The database is created by simply running an SQL script using whatever MySQL you have installed.  But the insertion of data is done by the program written in Python which uses MySQLdb to be able to write into the database.  MySQLdb is a database driver for Python that works well on Windows.

            Much like you installed SQLyog in order to query and write to your MySQL database using a nice interface and screen, MySQLdb does the same thing for Python.

            Now, once you have the data loaded SQLyog away when your trying to play with it.  That's what SQLyog is for.

            p.s. You could also look in your c:\temp directory and find the BBOS log file.  It will also likely tell you the same thing, "where the heck is MySQLdb?  I need it."  The same thing will probably print to the screen when you run at the dos prompt as Brian is helping you do.

            C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\downloads\BBOS\bin\
            install.bat will run fine and reinstall the database you saw that it already had.
            C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\downloads\BBOS\bin\loadRecentGames.bat will probably blow up with the above error.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2009
              OK, I downloaded and installed mySQLdb from the sourceforge site. I'm not sure what I do with it now. So, I understand that now I need to run install.bat, but how do I do that? I've never worked with DOS commands.

              I have MySQL Command Line Client open. I see

              mysql>

              What do I do from here?

              --- In RetroSQL@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle W. Willkomm" <kyle.w.willkomm@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > provide the functions that MySQLdb does.
              > >
              > > >Step 3: Start the MySQLServer that comes with BBOS by running
              > >
              > > Although BBOS is designed to run with it's own MySQL server, I've had much
              > > better results using a seperately installed MySQL. I've been using 5.0.
              > >
              > > >If I double click on the install batch, a DOS screen flashes for half a
              > > >second and disappears.
              > >
              > > To debug, it will help a lot to open a command prompt and navigate to
              > > <install directory>\BBOS\BBOS\bin. Then the window won't close when
              > > execution is complete, allowing you to read any error messages.
              > >
              > > >Throughout my floundering *something* must have worked because I have a
              > > >"gameday" database in my SQLyog left pane with action and hits tables >and
              > >
              > > >columns. The problem is there's no data
              > >
              > > It sounds like the install create the blank db, but Python was unable to
              > > insert any records into it. Back to step 2.

            • Kyle W. Willkomm
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 16, 2009
                I think you just need to return to the Install.txt instruction you obviously read and continue from step 5.

                Now that you've downloaded and installed mySQLdb you just double click install.bat, you don't need the mysql prompt for anything.  then you click one of the loading scripts.  The only reason Brian wanted you to run from a DOS prompt was so you could see if an error was printed to the screen.  You can just double click the scripts now that the proper installs are in place.

                Also, if its BBOS specific you can post things to http://sourceforge.net/projects/baseballonastic/support instead to the RetroSQL list.

                p.s. the step 3) below is what your SQLyog is.  A TOAD equivalent.

                - Download and install Python from
                   http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.2/
                  Step 2 is not supported in Python 2.6 yet and so please install 2.5.
                - Download and install MySQLdb for Python 2.5 from
                   https://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/
                - Start the MySQLServer that comes with BBOS by running*
                   <install directory>\BBOS\UniformServer\Server_Start.bat
                  You may run another MySQL server if you like or if you are not on Windows.
                - Prepare the database to hold game information by running
                   <install directory>\BBOS\bin\install.bat
                - Load games into the database running one of**
                   <install directory>\BBOS\bin\loadAllAvailableGames.bat
                   <install directory>\BBOS\bin\loadRecentGames.bat
                   <install directory>\BBOS\bin\load2006Games.bat
                   <install directory>\BBOS\bin\load2007Games.bat
                   <install directory>\BBOS\bin\load2008Games.bat
                   option be prepared to return later.
                - Congratulations, you now have a Gameday Pitch F/X and MLB player database.
                - To begin using your data connect to the running MySQL database using one of
                  three popular methods.
                  1) BBOS itself contains a database browser which is capable of viewing,
                     querying, and exporting data to Excel.  It is available to you when the
                     server is running at
                     http://localhost/apanel/phpMyAdmin/
                  2) Set up your MySQL server as a datasoure in Windows and use the Professional
                     Edition of Microsoft Excel or Access to connect.
                  3) Several free highly functional database browsing packages are available
                     for MySQL.  TOAD for MySQL is one suggestion.
                     http://www.quest.com/toad-for-mysql/
                - If you wish the database to stay continually up to date feel free to schedule
                  the loadRecentGames.bat to run nightly in Windows or you favorite scheduling
                  tool.
                - Go forth and prosper.  Ask questions of your database.

                *Advanced options such as using you own MySQL instance are configurable at
                    <install directory>\BBOS\src\bbos\config\gamedayConfig.py

                **If a load fails mid way and you feel a game's data has not been completely
                  loaded you can remove all the data for a particular game by running
                  <install directory>\BBOS\src\deleteBBOSGame.py gid_2008_03_21_balmlb_slnmlb_1
                  using the game name you would like removed

                ***More complex load options are available via the bbos script directly.
                   C:\temp\bbosTempInstall\release3\BBOS\src>bbos.py -help
                     INFO 2009-01-31 14:59:48,101 log.init.20
                     Logging to c:\temp\bbos.py.log
                     INFO 2009-01-31 14:59:48,101 loggingsetup.initializeLogging.7
                     INFO 2009-01-31 14:59:48,101 loggingsetup.initializeLogging.8 Starting bbos!
                     Usage: bbos.py [options]
                       -h, --help            show this help message and exit
                       -g GAME, --game=GAME  the gameday game name to load
                       -a ALL, --all=ALL     load all available games
                       -d DAY, --day=DAY     the day to load in the format ('2008', '09', '24')
                       -y YEAR, --year=YEAR  the year to load