Citizen Kane's Steak House's Mayfair Salad Dressing

  • craftncook@earthlink.net

      Citizen Kane's Steak House shares Mayfair dressing recipe
      By Babette Morgan Of The Post-Dispatch

      Q: Recently, we went to Citizen Kane's for dinner, and we just loved
      the Mayfair dressing that they used on the salad.

      Is it possible for you to find out their recipe?

      Laura Hart, Chesterfield

      A: Citizen Kane's "searched the world" for Mayfair salad dressing
      recipes, then "combined them all and gave it our little twist,"
      explains Frank Kane, owner of Citizen Kane's Steak House, 133 West
      Clinton Place in Kirkwood.

      The resulting recipe, Kane said, yields a flavor that is less heavy
      on the anchovies compared to some other Mayfair dressings, yet it
      "has a little more substance than your typical Caesar dressing."

      It's the house dressing for the restaurant, which is open for dinner
      every day except Monday.

      MAYFAIR SALAD DRESSING
      Citizen Kane's Steak House

      3/4 cup corn oil
      1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
      2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
      1 rib celery, chopped
      1 egg
      1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
      1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
      4 anchovy fillets
      1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1/4 teaspoon fresh minced garlic

      Combine all ingredients in blender. Process until well mixed.

      Chill in refrigerator before serving. Refrigerate leftovers; use
      within a few days.

      Yield: About 1 pint.

      Note: Uncooked eggs may be contaminated with salmonella and should be
      avoided by young children, the elderly and anyone with immune system
      deficiencies.

      My cooking lists at eGroups.com: 1-Simply-Sides, A-Home-Bakery,
      Clipping-Cooking, Cookbook-Cookery, Crockpot_Recipes,
      MastercookCategories, MC-BonAppetit, MC-CookingLight, MC-Gourmet,
      Meat-Lovers, MoreThanCereal, Restaurant-Recipes, and Soups-N-Stews