Any input welcomed

  • pete_australia
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      I'm a fulltime Foreign Exchange Currency trader. Apart from trading
      my own funds in my own right, I also work with approximately 200 or
      so clients (online)in a personal development life-coaching capacity.
      Many of those have expressed interest in getting involved in trading
      but are quite fearful of stepping up to the plate given the risk
      generally, and the mental stresses in particular.

      I've found that trying to 'impose' my sense of what's involved there
      doesn't really help another individual tailor their own outlook and
      approach in terms of their thinking, feeling and action.

      I wondered if anyone who maybe has worked in the developing of
      larger groups, could suggest how one might use/apply the RepGrid
      with a group of 200 people, via an internet conference room (with
      whiteboard facilities available). My thinking right now is to coach
      each person over about 12 months, whereby they personally take
      charge of their development into traders that can trade responsibly
      so that they protect both, their financial and psychophysical
      equity. The process of 'taking charge' would include making
      incremental adjustments to their individual oulook, through
      developing a repgrid. Whether that means 200+ grids or one grid of
      which they are each a part, I'm not sure.

      I guess overall, what I'm after is a coaching approach (using
      repgrid) that would help prepare a group of people who together,
      don't yet fully have the mindset for getting into something with
      competent confidence, but will still preserve their need to develop
      individually on their own terms, rather than have someone else just
      tell them how they should think. To me that would be imposing
      someone elses' model onto them.

      All comments welcomed.

      Peter.
    • Colin Benjamin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        Dear Peter,
        My name is Colin Benjamin. I¹m an Aussie. We work with large groups of
        people using computer aided interaction at Australia¹s premium management
        college- The Mt Eliza Business Centre ­ a bit like your Kennedy Centre. We
        have used RepGrids to assist groups to identify elements, constructs and
        links to their own personal development and to understand the dynamics of
        social interactions but not for trading. Three points may help you in
        working with this technique

        (i) George Kelly was on about construing the future by people as
        scientists

        (ii) RepGrid is a polarising agent, that highlights contrasts but it is
        not an
        integrating agent- ie it opens the door to possibilities but it does
        not
        provide security for those seeking answers

        (iii) When used as a collective mindset, it is extremely valuable as a
        means of
        managing the central elements of business strategy by increasing the
        conscious control of choices.

        Accordingly, we would recommend that you look at Zing technology, adopted by
        CocaCola for their interactive communication with their bottlers rather than
        play with whiteboard technoloogies that will fail your lofty goals by
        overcentralising what needs to be kept as an open systems interface with
        your 200 clients. People need to see the impact of their choices to make
        RepGrids fluent and flexible rather than systematic and structured forms of
        learning. We accordingly support the adoption of a living systems approach
        to a single RepGrid that then enables your client to work on individual
        RepGrids for their own goals in life and investment intentions.

        Best wishes

        Colin G Benjamin
        Marshall Place & Associates