New Yahoo Groups

  • Robbie
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
      To all in Renfolks,

      Many of you may not realise that Yahoo Groups took over Egroups and so
      perhaps you may have to attain a Yahoo ID and sign up with Yahoo to
      continue to receive e-mails from Renfolks members.

    • Pegasus
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
        i sure hope not... cause in my group HoP alot of the
        group doesnt have @... address.
        i sure hope they DONT try this... if they do i know
        ONE group that will pull out.

        Pegasus

        --- Robbie <lilith@...> wrote:
        > To all in Renfolks,
        >
        > Many of you may not realise that Yahoo Groups took
        > over Egroups and so
        > perhaps you may have to attain a Yahoo ID and sign
        > up with Yahoo to
        > continue to receive e-mails from Renfolks members.

        > Lilith

        =====
        http://www.geocities.com/pegasus12162/House_of_Pegasus.html
        House Of Pegasus.
        Scotish Stones
        Pagan Egoups
        Rituals
        Jewelry

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Sorcha MacComyn
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
          They already switched to Yahoogroups.
          It's a done deal.
          As for yahoo addresses, you just have
          to sign up for a yahoo ID. You don't
          have to use that Yahoo address to get
          the mail.

          It's not a big deal.

          Trish
          ~Moderator

          FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
        • Bill Watters
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
            If you just use egroups (actually remember when it was onelist) via your
            email address, you do NOT have to have a Yahoo account - only if you access
            the website to post messages to the group (or use the egroups website in
            general to do things) will you need to get a yahoo ID.

            Yahoo has owned egroups for about 6 months now, and about three weeks ago
            did the changeover to yahoogroups.com.

            For something that we get for nothing (remember when listservs were
            expensive unless you had your own unix box to play with and even then not as
            functional) it's not so bad. Amazing how much people whine about free stuff
            when it comes with ad banners.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
              >(remember when listservs were expensive unless you had your own >unix box to play with and even then not as functional)

              Ahhh...Bill...you made me nostalgic!

              Ah for my old unix shell account.
              (I actually still have a unix shell acount, but with all the graphics intensive emails, I have trouble with some of em)

              ...before AOL.

              I wanna go back to BBS's.
              I wanna do 'phone' from a shell account, instead of ICQ.
              I wanna be able to 'finger' a server and see who is logged in.
              I wanna just have text in my email!!!!!
              (And for that matter, I want email addresses to make sense, like they used to: name@placetheywork/school.edu/com)
              I don't want happy shiny bouncy dogs helping me!
              I don't like to point and click, I wanna just type in commands.

              Though...I do not miss my 1200bps modem that I used in high school...I /so/ do not miss that. :P

              I think I'll start using my unix shell more.
              I'm a big ole geek, that's all. Who beats me in geekdom? I know there are a lot of older geeks than me! I think I started online in 1989...
              Let's all share!
              *le sigh*
              Trish
              ~The nostalgic moderator

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                *nods atta Bill*

                I think I still have a onelist link for Renfolks on my web page :P

                I'm sorry, I guess I shoulda said that, too. The yahoo ID is only important if you want to access the Renfolks on the web. If you just get email sent to you and don't go in and look at the pictures and check out the chat and such, you're cool...it'll be fine. And again, you need not use the yahoo.com email address, you can still use your normal one.

                I think the change to Yahoo will be a good thing. Yahoo has so many other things involved with it, if you grab a yahoo ID, you can make use of their other things as well. (Love my technical terms "things") But, I know where everyone is coming from...doing the change over is "change".

                Anyway...cheers :)

                Trish
                ~Moderator

                FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
              • Robbie Sheehy
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                  Peg - you may want to check with everyone in HOP, less me & Arie. We
                  both have local ISPs which is QUIK.com so we had no trouble at all
                  converting our Egroup accounts to Yahoo Group accounts. I have heard
                  that folks who have a .net e-mail will have problems though. I know at
                  Lark's this past weekend we spoke about this problem.

                  MamaLoki aka Carrie Borden wasn't getting Renfolks mail so on IM I told
                  her how to go in to Yahoo Groups and last night she converted over. So I
                  would advise you getting with HOP folks and let them know if they are
                  also on Renfolks and not getting posts this is because Egroups is no
                  more and was taken over by Yahoo Groups.

                  Lilith

                  Pegasus wrote:

                  > i sure hope not... cause in my group HoP alot of the
                  > group doesnt have @... address.
                  > i sure hope they DONT try this... if they do i know
                  > ONE group that will pull out.
                  >
                  > Pegasus
                  >
                  > --- Robbie <lilith@...> wrote:
                  > > To all in Renfolks,
                  > >
                  > > Many of you may not realise that Yahoo Groups took
                  > > over Egroups and so
                  > > perhaps you may have to attain a Yahoo ID and sign
                  > > up with Yahoo to
                  > > continue to receive e-mails from Renfolks members.

                  > > Lilith
                  > >

                  > =====
                  > http://www.geocities.com/pegasus12162/House_of_Pegasus.html
                  > House Of Pegasus.
                  > Scotish Stones
                  > Pagan Egoups
                  > Rituals
                  > Jewelry

                • Robbie Sheehy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                    Bill, thanks for the explanation. MamaLoki aka Carrie Borden was on IM
                    with me last night and told me she wasn't getting any Renfolks postings
                    so I told her how to get on to Yahoo Groups. She's since converted. I
                    don't know that perhaps other folks may be experiencing trouble as well.

                    Me & Arie had a bit of a problem at first because on the registration
                    page for the Yahoo ID it asks for an alternate e-mail address so
                    naturally we both put in each other's alternate e-mail addresses but we
                    soon figured that this was not Yahoo meant at all so we finally, after
                    many agonizing minutes got our new Yahoo Groups accts straightened out.
                    But it was a trying experience for both of us.

                    Lilith
                  • ladywolf18@ivillage.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                      Hey don't worry Pegasus, everyone is very inventive... 'sides it
                      allows you to get a yahoo id when you convert the egroups account.
                      I'm lucky, my first email addy was a yahoo id.
                    • Pegasus
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                        will do thank you very much...

                        Pegasus