re: Breasts of the Renaissance book published.....

  • Mary at Estelril
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2010
      Calling all wenches and rogues!
      Okay...the book was taken down the next day and many folks have not even seen the offending photos. However, with that being said, in all honesty...these photos are his property and the only folks really entitled to complain is the faire itself (due to the ticket verbage.) In walking through the gate of the festival, there is no reasonable expectation of individual privacy. Such lack of expectation protects any photographer that wants to shoot whatever image they want...and use it how they want (within the guidelines on the back of the ticket in relationship to the festival only.) It's the same reason that papparatzi get to sell their photos folks.

      My only real legal complaint on this whole thing is that there are minor children present in his book. With the title being what it is...there is no doubt that the intent is to titalate (no pun intended) the senses and arouse emotional response to the title...thus drawing attention to the photos. Such dispersal of photos containing minor children does, in fact, constitute internet dispersal of child pornography and may be subject to legal enforcement by the U.S. Customs department (the organization that handles internet child pornography.)

      That being said, I'm fairly certain based on this man's other photography, that this was really not his intent and he simply had a brain fart moment (momentary lapse in judgement) by including those photos in such a book.
      From: rainertx <rainertx@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Renfolks] Breasts of the Renaissance book published x-posted to several groups
      To: Renfolks@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 9:03 PM

      Sorry if you've already gotten this on one of the other groups we may share in common, just trying to get the word out the most efficiently
      This was posted by a fellow rennie on Facebook, as a notice to all faire ladies, and I wanted to pass the link along. I counted, on the preview, which I have no idea if it is a sampling, or the complete book, a little over 60 images, almost half of which are people I know personally or recognize from Scarborough (virtually all taken at Scarby, as I recognize the background), including 2 wenches that I know of, several cast members, and 2 performers.
      Everything from this point forward is a quote from the post I saw on Facebook and is not intended as anything other than the passing along of information:

      "ATTENTION RENFAIR LADIES! Please pass this along to any ren group websites and cast members. This jerk is using photos he did not get permission for to use in a book "Breasts of the Renaissance" to sell for profit. Many of these are cast members we know but I also recognize several performers and rennies as well. This ...is not acceptable and the models need to know so they can take legal action.

      http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1048488   Se e More
      Breasts of the Renaissance | By Dave Wilkie & Linessa Lindsay | Category: Arts & Photography | Blurb
      www.blurb.com
      Book title: Breasts of the Renaissance, By: Dave Wilkie & Linessa Lindsay, Category: Arts & Photography, Book Description: Intimate portraits of the ladies of the Renaissance in rich photography ..."

      1b.

      Re: Breasts of the Renaissance book published x-posted to several gr

      Posted by: "Glenn Bailey" glenn.bailey@...   rep1cant

      Sun Jan 3, 2010 12:18 am (PST)

      Well I will say, he is a good photographer after looking at his site ..

      --
      Glenn E. Bailey III - Producer
      glenn.bailey@ hatecitypictures .com

      HateCity Pictures