Bastrop County fire scene: “Complete desolation”

  • Gus & Tara
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
      Bastrop County fire scene: "Complete desolation"
      By Marty Toohey | Sunday, March 1, 2009, 01:26 PM

      We caught up with Round Rock Police Department spokesman Eric Poteet
      Sunday as he and other officers were coming back from helping
      firefighters battle the conflagration raging in Bastrop County.

      Bastrop County Judge Ronnie McDonald estimates the fire has grown to
      about 1,000 acres, although officials say it's about 50 percent
      contained. Poteet, speaking at the emergency-response center set up
      just east of the City of Bastrop, described a fire that had gutted
      the area between Bastrop and Smithville, taking out houses and
      trailer homes and other living spaces. Here are extended excerpts of
      our conversation with him:

      "After the fire had burned down" in areas Poteet saw, "it was a
      matter of going house by house and trailer by trailer looking for
      bodies and evacuating everyone we could evauate." (There are no
      deaths reported, and many of the people had left per a mandatory
      evacuation order).

      "As soon as you go half a mile east of Highway 71" from the fire-
      response center, "there are a number of feeder roads that go off
      into the woods, off into nowhere. There are roads and private
      driveways all through the woods. Trailer parks, trailer homes,
      travel trailers, school buses people live in, but it's all deep in
      the woods."

      "A lot of the houses were completely destroyed. Some were consumed
      to the point where you wouldn't even know it was a house."

      "The nature of the flora, these dry pine trees, (means there is) a
      lot of dry underbrush, just an incredible amount of fuel for this
      fire to consume. And it did. It's complete desolation."
    • lilith690
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        Tara & Gus,

        Oh my Lord... I sure hope the folks we know down in that area are doing OK.
        Please let us know.... Wicken....Queen Bonnie, Blaze... and other folks who
        live in the area.
        Arie and I send you our energies.

        Lilith
      • ZombieKiller79@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
          Wow, about a month ago we almost moved out to right where they are talking about. That's just scary.
          Just...wow. I hope most of them got out.
          Amy

          Oh my Lord... I sure hope the folks we know down in that area are doing OK.
          Please let us know.... Wicken....Queen Bonnie,  Blaze... and other folks who
          live in the area.
          Arie and I send you our energies.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional