Re: [Renfolks] need identification

  • Derek Shotwell (Akt)
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
      It's a green lizard.  There ya go.

      -Akt

      On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:54 -0600, WINDY SMITH wrote:
      We were given this lizard this afternoon and would like to know what kind he is.

      Momma Windy

    • WINDY SMITH
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
        Great, let me know

        Momma Windy

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
          I ran a search on skinks and couldn't find one this big.  from head to tail is over a foot.

          Momma Windy

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
            I found that it's called a Spotted Lizard..LOL

            :-D"Lady" Karen of the Blue Dragon
            Gnaughty Gnomie
            Apothecary on Capt Jack's Pearls

            In a message dated 11/12/08 17:54:23 Central Standard Time, mommawindy@... writes:

            We were given this lizard this afternoon and would like to know what kind he is.

            Momma Windy

          • Cheryl Slaughter
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
              Hi Momma Wendy:

              I believe you have a young Savannah monitor.  I've been in the reptile world for quite some time, however non-poisonous snakes, chameleon, and other lizards have been my specialty.  But I'm pretty sure its a juvenile Savannah.

              Here is a link that will give you an overview of taking care of a monitor.

              Hope it helps

              Cheryl

              We were given this lizard this afternoon and would like to know what kind he is.

              Momma Windy

            • Aditude

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Google:(images)Savannah Monitor Lizard and you will find your new baby. That SOB is gonna get BIG!
                  M)D
                • WINDY SMITH
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                    That's him.  Don is working on his first habitat and Camie is reading the instructions.  Chea isn't real sure but interested.

                    Momma Windy

                    We were given this lizard this afternoon and would like to know what kind he is.

                    Momma Windy

                  • Vandor
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                      I'm going to have to agree with others who have said "Savannah Monitor".  The pattern on the tail and back tend to be the same as that species.  I have forwarded the image to a friend of mine who is part of the Texas Herptological Society for exact identification, but it does appear to be a Savannah Monitor on first glance.

                      Dragon

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                        yep, Don said "well I guess we will have to get an extra bedroom."

                        Momma Windy

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                          Hey Momma Wendy:

                          Yes, he's definitely a Savannah.  I thought I recognized the pattern and the head.  Just do a net search on care of a Savannah monitor.  There are also cheap care guides, but with the proper care he can grow up to 4-5 feet.  They do tend to eat whatever is offered and can get obese leading to premature death.  And yes, they are excellent escape artists!  Don't use any screening on his cage...those claws will shred it.  Also they like to climb and need special lighting to simulate the sun.  UV-A and UV-B light.  Not cheap but they do last.  Also a hot light to bask.

                          It's good he is already tame and permits handling.  You need to keep it up.  They are also creatures of habit.  Feeding at the same time, execise, handling, etc.  They also very smart.

                          While I am not a monitor expert, if you need additional information I can track it down for you, including breeders.

                          Cheryl

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                            Windy,

                            Just got confirmation from my Herptological Society buddy;

                            Savannah (White Throat) Monitor

                            Native of Africa

                            Max size: about 3 feet

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                              Thank you all for the fast and full response.  They will definitely be keeping the baby.  They both have had experience with lizards and really like what it will be and are planning his habitat and care.  She read everything ya'll sent and everything else she could find about them and they are excited about having it.
                              Thanks again, everyone.

                              Momma Windy

                              yep, Don said "well I guess we will have to get an extra bedroom."

                              Momma Windy

                              Google:(images) Savannah Monitor Lizard and you will find your new baby. That SOB is gonna get BIG!
                              M)D

                            • Hans Hardin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                                My wife who works with reptiles says it is a monitor or tegu..but more likely a monitor...BE CAREFUL,they can be agressive.
                                Teiwaz

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 12, 2008
                                  Ah..I see it has already been confirmed..I should learn to go thru all posts,huh? lol
                                  Teiwaz

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 13, 2008
                                    Windy,

                                    According to my friend it is a Savannah Monitor.  If you need any help in "lizard husbandry" yanno, what to feed, what to avoid, environment, etc. I'm sure she won't mind me giving you here contact information.

                                    Here's what she wrote:

                                    It's a Savannah monitor.  One of my fav large lizard.  They are the "Labradors" of lizards, usually big and dopey, just want to eat and stay warm.  It will get big.  Real BIG.
                                    Lemme know if ya' want her info.

                                    Adi

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 13, 2008
                                      Yes, it appears to be a Savannah Monitor. I had one named Iggy, years ago!

                                      They can be 'dog tame' as far as large lizards go. Don't 'power feed' it or it will become aggressive.
                                      Let me know if you have any questons!

                                      Congrats on the new family member!

                                      Jess

                                      I ran a search on skinks and couldn't find one this big.  from head to tail is over a foot.

                                      Momma Windy

                                      I can't really tell by the angle but from the shape of the head it looks to me like a skink. But then i'm no expert lol
                                      Amy

                                      We were given this lizard this afternoon and would like to know what kind he is.

                                      Momma Windy

                                      Checked by AVG.

                                    • swamp bug
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
                                        We had a pet monitor one time, for about a week, until I could find someone who would take it. It was huge, the head was as big as my fist...it ate raw hamburger meat and pooped alot. Gave me the willy-ies.....(OMG, the things I have done trying to be a good mom!)

                                        Hugs, Bug!!!!

                                        I ran a search on skinks and couldn't find one this big.  from head to tail is over a foot.

                                        Momma Windy

                                        I can't really tell by the angle but from the shape of the head it looks to me like a skink. But then i'm no expert lol
                                        Amy

                                        We were given this lizard this afternoon and would like to know what kind he is.

                                        Momma Windy

                                        Checked by AVG.

                                      • Koolagh
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
                                          According to my Cajun family back home.....it is a snack. Best served over rice in a courbion sauce.  Goes best with a nice Cabernet.

                                          Koolagh