Re: Costuming

  • reddogdamnit2
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13 6:10 AM
      Another harsh reality of the business world is that if the corporate
      entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients they
      don't do business with them any more.

      It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If they
      support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize them.
      It's simple.

      And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is beneath
      response.

      Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.

      Peace.
    • Squire Dunkin'
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13 11:52 AM
        I wish that this would work with the post office. Those S.O.B.'s sent me a roll of 41 cent stamps this month knowing that the price was going up on the 11th then refused to exchange them at the local branch for an extra dollar to make up the difference but I digress... (I know someone out there is thinking :why the hell didn't he just buy 100 1 cent stamps? "that's not what I wanted")

        I think I'm done with SF for the year. I got nothing left to give but half a rubbermade®
         container of candy. Might go on a Sunday afternoon of two to shoot in the tourney but I'm not enjoying it cuz all I do when I'm there is work and hell I can do that here all day long without having to drive.

        God willing... when I find the right piece of land which must include allodial title, Eagle Wolf gets his own villiage where his people can dress however they want.

        reddogdamnit2 <davidj@...> wrote:
        Another harsh reality of the business world is that if the corporate
        entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients they
        don't do business with them any more.

        It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If they
        support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize them.
        It's simple.

        And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is beneath
        response.

        Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.

        Peace.

      • Rain Dove
        Message 3 of 11 , May 23 6:20 PM
          Even though I haven't been around at faire for a while , I must
          comment on what has transpired with Eagle Wolf.
          Now I haven't read the WHOLE thread , but I read enough.
          And frankly , I find the entire thing a bit ridiculous and extremely
          contradictory.
          Scarborough Faire is *suppose* to be a RENAISSANCE FAIRE.
          And if it was a Ren Faire (like it use to be) .. then there would be
          NO DRESS CODE. Period. Business or not.
          I have NEVER ,NEVER ... heard of a "dress code" at a Ren Faire.
          It is totally contradictory.
          As most Rennies already know (and some people that are NOT Rennies
          know this as well) , but Ren Faires were established in the early
          60's with the first one being held in California. ((Berkley ? Can't
          remember what city it was held)). Nonethless , it was established to
          provide a place of festivities for like minded people. Those like
          minded people just happen to be alot of people (and hippies) who
          expressed themselves IN WHOLE or in PART by the way they dressed for
          the Renaissance period and/or time frame. It was fun , it was
          expressive and people felt FREE to dress as their "personalities"
          told them. (yes , I said personalit-ies ,PLURAL) ;)
          In fact, in the older days of Faire , you didn't find
          many "suburbanites and soccer moms" running around the Ren Faire.
          And believe me ... herein lies your problem.
          Sorry soccer moms ... but Ren Faires have NEVER BEEN a "Disney Theme
          Park" and they are going to do nothing but end up shutting them all
          down if they try and turn them INTO one.
          It seems this is what is happening. Its all about the money now and
          not about the Renaissance at all.

          There was no such thing as a "dress code" during the actual
          Renaissance period ((there were many particular "styles" depending
          on what part of the world one lived , but not CODES)).... so why
          should there be one at the Ren Faires ???
          If Scarby was truly a REN FAIRE anymore , this kind of thing would
          NOT be going on. One can claim that its all about "business" if they
          wish , Apparently , they don't see the big picture. That "business"
          they speak of is going to go to hell in a handbasket by trying to
          CONTROL what RENNIES WEAR to the REN FAIRE.
          Where does MOST of their business come from ANYWAY ????
          The suburbanite and soccer mom isn't going to be there for the long
          haul .. the Rennies will be.

          IMMHO ....
          This is sort of like "cutting one's nose off to spite one's face" Oh
          well .. just my 50 cents.
          I don't feel they did themselves any "business" favors.

          Regards,
          Rain Dove

          --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Squire Dunkin' <portal_surfer@...>
          wrote:

          > I wish that this would work with the post office. Those S.O.B.'s
          sent me a roll of 41 cent stamps this month knowing that the price
          was going up on the 11th then refused to exchange them at the local
          branch for an extra dollar to make up the difference but I
          digress... (I know someone out there is thinking :why the hell
          didn't he just buy 100 1 cent stamps? "that's not what I wanted")

          > I think I'm done with SF for the year. I got nothing left to
          give but half a rubbermade®
          > container of candy. Might go on a Sunday afternoon of two to
          shoot in the tourney but I'm not enjoying it cuz all I do when I'm
          there is work and hell I can do that here all day long without
          having to drive.

          > God willing... when I find the right piece of land which must
          include allodial title, Eagle Wolf gets his own villiage where his
          people can dress however they want.

          > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@...> wrote:
          > Another harsh reality of the business world is that if
          the corporate
          > entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients they
          > don't do business with them any more.
          >
          > It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If
          they
          > support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize
          them.
          > It's simple.
          >
          > And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is beneath
          > response.
          >
          > Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.
          >
          > Peace.

        • Robert Mank
          Message 4 of 11 , May 23 8:25 PM
            Very well said RainDove!!!!!
            As every year passes, a movie comes out in regard to 15th &16th Century stuff. And with them you get new ideas of possible ren-attire from these movies also..be they "historical" or fantasy based on 15th century etc (ie: fantasy stuff - fairies, elves, etc).
            Ren-attire makes it so these soo called "soccor moms" and suburbanites can bring thier children and let thier imaginations grow and wander. Then, Scarby, due to maybe a few moms or dads with thier head in the ground with no understanding or remembering what it felt like to be imaginative, placates and says "No!! Can NOT wear that because somebody- with no imagination, complained!"
            RenFaires will never be Disney world. Hell, at Disney world itself I have heard the most boring attraction is the "Pirates Of The Carribean". Why?? Because thier is no imagination..only caricatures of pirates singing dumb songs LOL. Why go see that when a child or an adult still filled with child hood imagination can see real folk wearing Ren attire? :D
            Just goes to show what happens, when a few prudish folk, try to ruin something for everybody else.

            Dobby

            wrote:

            > I wish that this would work with the post office. Those S.O.B.'s
            sent me a roll of 41 cent stamps this month knowing that the price
            was going up on the 11th then refused to exchange them at the local
            branch for an extra dollar to make up the difference but I
            digress... (I know someone out there is thinking :why the hell
            didn't he just buy 100 1 cent stamps? "that's not what I wanted")

            > I think I'm done with SF for the year. I got nothing left to
            give but half a rubbermade®
            > container of candy. Might go on a Sunday afternoon of two to
            shoot in the tourney but I'm not enjoying it cuz all I do when I'm
            there is work and hell I can do that here all day long without
            having to drive.

            > God willing... when I find the right piece of land which must
            include allodial title, Eagle Wolf gets his own villiage where his
            people can dress however they want.

            > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@...> wrote:
            > Another harsh reality of the business world is that if
            the corporate
            > entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients they
            > don't do business with them any more.
            >
            > It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If
            they
            > support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize
            them.
            > It's simple.
            >
            > And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is beneath
            > response.
            >
            > Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.
            >
            > Peace.

          • Rain Dove
            Message 5 of 11 , May 24 6:07 AM
              Right On Dobby.
              You know , I've never even been to Disney Land or Disney World
              either one .. but I am in GREAT hopes that these "new" owners ..
              don't have any intentions of trying to "civilize" (for lack of a
              better word) the Ren Faire.
              I agree with you that the Ren Faire would never turn into an actual
              Disney World , but the "rules and regulations" they seem to be
              coming up with as of late .. are headed in that very direction.
              IMO , the Ren Faire has always been a place where I've never had to
              worry about "freedom of expression" ...
              We have ENOUGH of that fear in our regular mundane world. I've
              always felt that Faire was my reprieve and for any "new owner" to
              come in and say that *ANY* garb / regalia is "offensive" .. is
              offensive in and of itself !!!!
              I know Coy .. and I certainly couldn't imagine that he would EVER
              say something like that. He is NOT that way at all .. so I was glad
              to hear that he had nothing to do with it .. and gave these new
              owners his two cents concerning Eagle Wolf's regalia.

              MY QUESTION IS ;
              "What kind of 'OWNER of a Ren Faire' .. would *EVEN BE* offended" ??
              ((Doesn't make any sense to me. But , who says it is suppose to ,
              right)) ?

              Regards,
              Rain Dove

              --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mank <slverobert43@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > God willing... when I find the right piece of land which must
              > include allodial title, Eagle Wolf gets his own villiage where his
              > people can dress however they want.
              > >

              > > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@> wrote:
              > > Another harsh reality of the business world is that if
              > the corporate
              > > entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients
              they
              > > don't do business with them any more.
              > >
              > > It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If
              > they
              > > support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize
              > them.
              > > It's simple.
              > >
              > > And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is
              beneath
              > > response.
              > >
              > > Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.

            • Robert Mank
              Message 6 of 11 , May 24 6:23 AM
                That is the trouble with some owners..they look at a Faire ,with money signs in thier eyes..rather than what a RenFaire truly is. They see....money potentail..when the Faires are a place to escape the realities of the real world...turn time back so to speak to another time AND to turn back time - in folk, to the earlier years when we still believed in myths, fairies, and wanting to be a pirate or a Musketeer as children.
                The worst thing i always find..and fight against in my stories....is THAT loss of our fantasy and imagination....and of the magic - of the world brought to us in the RenFaires. For an Owner of one to turn and say You can't wear something...that keeps that Magic so alive in ourselves..AND more impiortant..in others, is soo much an affront to me inside.
                The world is already sooo cold ...The RenFaires are a place to bring back the light and warmth within all of us....something direly needed for all. And our regalia, costumes, garb worn...is an expression of this by each person.
                If the owners can turn a blind eye on littel girls allowed by parents to look like hookers with what they wear, or a parent wearing something soo innapropiate out in public..then the owners of a renFaire are getting folk to see you can wear things, skimpy or lush in costume..and in class and respect!!

                wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > God willing... when I find the right piece of land which must
                > include allodial title, Eagle Wolf gets his own villiage where his
                > people can dress however they want.
                > >

                > > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@> wrote:
                > > Another harsh reality of the business world is that if
                > the corporate
                > > entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients
                they
                > > don't do business with them any more.
                > >
                > > It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If
                > they
                > > support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize
                > them.
                > > It's simple.
                > >
                > > And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is
                beneath
                > > response.
                > >
                > > Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.

              • Squire Dunkin'
                Message 7 of 11 , May 24 9:42 AM
                  You are a wise elf Doby. Faire is my escape as well, well it used to be but Hawkwood is gone and no amount of wishing/hoping/remembering will bring it back but there is still a little magic here and there. When I was old enough to change the channel on the TV, the Lone Ranger and Zorro were my escape and irony of ironies... my benevolent, wealthy benefactor and employer today is one Sr. De La Vega lol. Ah the synchronicity....

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > God willing... when I find the right piece of land which must
                  > include allodial title, Eagle Wolf gets his own villiage where his
                  > people can dress however they want.
                  > >

                  > > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@> wrote:
                  > > Another harsh reality of the business world is that if
                  > the corporate
                  > > entity's behavior becomes less than acceptable to its clients
                  they
                  > > don't do business with them any more.
                  > >
                  > > It's time to make businesses accountable for their behavior. If
                  > they
                  > > support causes or behavior you disagree with, don't patronize
                  > them.
                  > > It's simple.
                  > >
                  > > And the response that's it's faire, and one has to go, is
                  beneath
                  > > response.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you Brother for the advice as to legal representation.

                • reddogdamnit2
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 27 7:37 AM
                    But even Hawkwood had some "rules" I can remember at least 4 peple
                    being escorted out. A couple of absolutely hammered young women who
                    kept falling out fo their garb, such as it was; and a mundane couple
                    who felt it appropriate to go well beyond a display of affection at the
                    main pub.

                    Businesses have the right to decide what is appropriate; the question
                    them becomes one of reality (is it really in appropriate) vs business
                    decision (we just don't want it) Philosophically, I don't care what
                    anyone wears, I may not want to see it, but hey, it's their choice. In
                    reality, if a young woman decides to skinny dip in the San Marcos
                    river, next to the main road at 2 PM, she's going to get arrested (true
                    story, saw it happen) and certainly a business can decide that it
                    doesn't want patrons dressed like hookers or gangbanger or (fill in the
                    blank) If my long hair offends some one, that's their problem, not
                    mine. But if I'm walking around in public whith my unit in the breeze,
                    I'm going to get busted.

                    I don't think the "offending" garb was offensive, my opinion, and one
                    shared by most, if not all of us here. But the business decision isn't
                    mine to make; but I can certainly criticise it.