RE: [chaosfamily] Re: [campredstar] Re: Xpost: Excal Thoughts & Pics..2 cents or 2 pounds, but still a nice taste.

  • Akt
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
      In past I was in mind to decline on discussion of Excal and everyone's opinion of how things are run.  But, I thought I'd post on the topic, then Vandor spoke up and that encouraged me to say this:

      I never attended the old Excal faire.  Then, when I decided to go, it died.  Then there was rumor of a new Excal, huzzah.  Then, the land deal fell through.  But before that even happened there were rennies bounding at the fact that someone wanted to resurrect Excal in a new location and said, "Huzzah, we'll help!"  Thus, with new land acquisition, the faire became anew.  And rennies bounded out and helped.  And the slogan became, "Excal, a faire for rennies, by rennies".  Huzzah!

      Although it may seem unappreciated by the owners to the rennies, I've seen how miscommunication occurs, I've seen how mismanagement occurs, bleh, don't care for it.  Vandor said, this is a new faire, complete with growing pains (and there will be more and more often as it grows).  Those who make it out there to clear out a spot or two or a field, my hat's off to ya.  I'd come out there if/when I could to help, just haven't had the opportunity/ability to.  Thanks to the gracious Rennie community and my friends, I've had a place to camp and eat and drink and be merry with everyone, and every time I've been to Excal, I've had a great time, without drama.  I'm not saying I didn't see or hear drama, I just didn't have any personally, HUZZAH!

      So, to those who want to complain I can only say this:  Did you go?  Did you not enjoy being at a faire where more than 90% were just Rennies?  Few mundanes to spoil the fun I say makes for a quaint good time between bigger faires.  And this one will grow, and I will contribute, because I'm a rennie, and I love it.

      Solo and founding member of the Covert Ops Team Rainbow (even though rainbows scare me)
      Snarkmate to Scorn, who gave me the previous title.
      Slave to no one, and proud of it.  You don't like?  Taste me sword!

      "He'd make a lovely corpse."
      --
      Charles Dickens (Martin Chuzzlewit, Chapter 25)

      "Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend. "
      --
      Albert Camus

      "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. "
      -- Unknown

      http://www.myspace.com/akt_of_chaos

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
        And just in case someone has misunderstood, the issue with the
        parking was not the fault of the owners and I have not given up on
        Excalibur. There are issues yes but there are issues with
        everything. Hell there are issues with Scarby and TRF for gosh
        sakes. However, they do have to address the issues that are making
        people decide to stay away because it won't be good if they don't.

        Rae

        --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Vandor"
        <LordVandorofCHAOS@...> wrote:

        > One thing we must all remember is that while the name is Excalibur
        Faire, it
        > is still only in its Second year at this location. This is still
        a NEW
        > faire, with an old name. I am speaking not only as a vendor, but
        as a
        > member of the groups that love the faires. TRF, nor Scarby
        started out and
        > became an immediate success without going through some growing
        pains and we
        > all still patronize those faires.
        >
        > If we start judging the faire by the actions of the owners or the
        perceived
        > actions of the owners, we will not have a faire to attend because
        you must
        > remember that many of these items are nothing but hearsay, which
        as we all
        > know has about as much power in a court of law as not being able
        to prove
        > your case beyond any shadow of a doubt. It is going to take time
        for THIS
        > Excalibur Faire to become what the old faire was, or what any of
        us hope a
        > faire will become. We as patrons should be understanding, if not
        accepting,
        > to some inconveniences in the growth stages.
        >
        > I implore you to give the faire a chance to grow and change and to
        be a part
        > of that growth so that when the faire is a larger entity that we
        can all sit
        > around the faire saying "I was here in the beginning of this
        faire, I
        > remember when the joust field was nothing more than a pile of
        dirt". That
        > sort of thing, I know this may be asking alot from some of you as
        it would
        > appear there is a "bad taste" in the mouth. But, I still ask you
        of this
        > anyway as a friend, and a brother, not as a vendor of the faire.
        >
        > Lord Vandor
        > The Purple Dragon
        > Royal Harbinger of CHAOS
        > Dragon of The Serpentarium
        > Demon Master of The Dark Realm
        > Dark Cloud
        > The Claw
        > Gnightie Gnicking Gnome
        > First Officer of The Rogue Wave
        > Master Gunner Plisskin of The Blissful Demise
        > Master Gunner of AMARDON
        > Master Gunner of The Black Pearl
        > Godfather of Lady Calypso
        > Silver Dagger
        > Honorary Terror Tastie
        > Durch Stange Mighty Odins hebe ich hiermit Ihre Garantie auf und
        sende Sie
        > zurück zu Gott.
        > Bin Ich Schlecht? Ja BIN Ich!!!

      • Lord Vandor
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
          I understand and respect your concerns and comments.  Unfortunately, as I am but a humble vendor at this faire, there's not much I can do to fix the "management issues" you bring up.

          There is however something we can all do.  We can as I stated earlier, help the faire grow and improve by continuing our patronage.  While I understand it is not the greatest faire conditions at the moment, we must remember that even Scarby or TRF even had to experience growing pains when they were first starting out.  Sure, some people will work and EXPECT to be compensated for their time and effort, it's human nature after all.  However, for some people it is as has been stated a labor of love.  It's not easy to take time out of our own personal schedule and go out there, making a 2, 3 or 4 - 5 hour drive, to work our butts off clearing land or building structures.  We do it because it needs to be done in order to help the faire grow.  I know that not everyone can do some of that work for one reason or another, but there are other ways to help the faire as well.  Advertising, promotions, coming out on work weekends during the year and being someone that runs drink and food to those working in remote areas of the grounds.  All of those are ways to contribute to the construction of the faire, and all help offered is greatly appreciated, if not shown in a monetary way, then simply by word of mouth, I have personally shaken the hands and thanked as many of the people that I saw working out there when I was there setting up my booth.  It's not easy to do something for free, but I cannot think of any other way to spend a weekend knowing that my efforts are going to help others enjoy the festival.

          Sure, there are many improvements that could be made to the faire itself, and perhaps other acts, more well known acts could eventually be brought in, but one cannot have a faire where they are paying top dollar for the high end acts if there are no patrons for them to entertain.

          This is my first season as a vendor there, and honestly I don't know what is going to happen over the next four weekends.  I am going to be there each weekend, and I will be building a permanent structure before next season should that become a feasibility for myself to do.  I have plans to be there for time to come.  I want to be one of the vendors that is essentially there from the start so that I can see the faire grow around me, and see that particular faire become a great success.

          You heard from a "former" vendor...  well, it is patially because of "former" vendors that there is limited selection of goods and services.  These are the vendors that had a rough season last year and rather than ride it out persay, they chose to pull up stakes and not be there anymore.

          Sure, the website is not the greatest, but you get what you pay for right?  I mean, if they are having some kid do it for passes.. that's the quality of work they are going to get.  I don't have a website for my company because I cannot afford to have a webmaster to put one together for me that would be quality enough to meet my standards and show my customers that I am a quality business.

            <LordVandorofCHAOS@ ...> wrote:

            > One thing we must all remember is that while the name is Excalibur
            Faire, it
            > is still only in its Second year at this location. This is still
            a NEW
            > faire, with an old name. I am speaking not only as a vendor, but
            as a
            > member of the groups that love the faires. TRF, nor Scarby
            started out and
            > became an immediate success without going through some growing
            pains and we
            > all still patronize those faires.
            >
            > If we start judging the faire by the actions of the owners or the
            perceived
            > actions of the owners, we will not have a faire to attend because
            you must
            > remember that many of these items are nothing but hearsay, which
            as we all
            > know has about as much power in a court of law as not being able
            to prove
            > your case beyond any shadow of a doubt. It is going to take time
            for THIS
            > Excalibur Faire to become what the old faire was, or what any of
            us hope a
            > faire will become. We as patrons should be understanding, if not
            accepting,
            > to some inconveniences in the growth stages.
            >
            > I implore you to give the faire a chance to grow and change and to
            be a part
            > of that growth so that when the faire is a larger entity that we
            can all sit
            > around the faire saying "I was here in the beginning of this
            faire, I
            > remember when the joust field was nothing more than a pile of
            dirt". That
            > sort of thing, I know this may be asking alot from some of you as
            it would
            > appear there is a "bad taste" in the mouth. But, I still ask you
            of this
            > anyway as a friend, and a brother, not as a vendor of the faire.
            >
            > Lord Vandor
            > The Purple Dragon
            > Royal Harbinger of CHAOS
            > Dragon of The Serpentarium
            > Demon Master of The Dark Realm
            > Dark Cloud
            > The Claw
            > Gnightie Gnicking Gnome
            > First Officer of The Rogue Wave
            > Master Gunner Plisskin of The Blissful Demise
            > Master Gunner of AMARDON
            > Master Gunner of The Black Pearl
            > Godfather of Lady Calypso
            > Silver Dagger
            > Honorary Terror Tastie
            > Durch Stange Mighty Odins hebe ich hiermit Ihre Garantie auf und
            sende Sie
            > zurück zu Gott.
            > Bin Ich Schlecht? Ja BIN Ich!!!

          • Moon Dawg
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
              Well ya could have me doing the website! Then the s... would really be in the fan.
            • Norath Tovaar of Chaos
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                Vandor,

                I aggree with your post on this and want to add a few thoughts as well:

                1) Like Karl posted in his message, This Fair is ONLY TWO YEARS OLD! What
                do you expect??? Do you think that TRF was This advanced in 1976? Come on
                Grow up, Put yer big girl panties on and get over it! George and Terri have
                pretty much betted their lives and lively hood on this endevourbecause When
                Excalibur did fall through the crack because of the red tape it got tangled
                up in, They actually HAD the SACK to do something about it. Now Here you
                all come and You go and when you get a chance to say something about the
                time you all had whet do you do?

                YOU BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT HOW MISERABLE YOU WERE!
                Where were you all when the rain began to fall?
                Where were you all when people get lost in the brambles?
                What did you do when some one showed up and was not familiar with the the
                procedures of how things were to be done?
                And knowing that there were people who stayed sunday night, did you watch
                the weater?

                Think about those questions. And then think about this...
                What kind of TRUE rennie are you?

                One thing we must all remember is that while the name is Excalibur Faire, it
                is still only in its Second year at this location. This is still a NEW
                faire, with an old name. I am speaking not only as a vendor, but as a
                member of the groups that love the faires. TRF, nor Scarby started out and
                became an immediate success without going through some growing pains and we
                all still patronize those faires.

                ----SNIP----

                Lord Vandor

                8:41 AM
              • Iver Gunnar MacComyn
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Selena
                  I completly understand what you're saying about
                  some of the conditions at Excal but it takes money to
                  do alot of it but what hurt the owners some this year
                  is they didnt have someone manning the front gate
                  24/7. I wonder how many of us just rolled right on in
                  and didnt pay because there was no one to take the
                  money. Second they were not selling tickets at the
                  back gate so how many of us just walked right on in?
                  What they were doing at the back gate when there was
                  someone manning it, was telling folks they would have
                  to go to the front gate. Thats my two cents worth for
                  the moment. Cyaz Iver
                  --- Selena <austinrengirl@...> wrote:

                  > While it might be a start up faire, they sure aren't
                  > charging start up
                  > prices. Daily pass= $13/per. Season pass= $50 (are
                  > you fucking
                  > kidding me?? That's Scarby's price for a season
                  > pass!) Beer= Meh...
                  > average; no complaints there. Camping= What was it,
                  > $7/person?? For
                  > what? Cleaning out your own primitive spot and
                  > trying to have
                  > squatters rights and being told "oh well" if you
                  > didn't squat long
                  > enough??
                  > camp!!
                  > I also heard from a former vendor that the rates of
                  > the vendor spots
                  > more than doubled. Again... for what purpose?
                  >
                  > I spoke with Terrie myself LAST year about the
                  > terrible TERRIBLE
                  > website they have and that we/Chris could help. She
                  > told me and Chris
                  > that they had some high school kid doing it... and
                  > boy, did it show!
                  > The website this year is worse than it was before,
                  > with very shitty,
                  > small, hard to read logos, and very unprofessional
                  > misspellings. I'm
                  > not a web designer, but fuck, I know the difference
                  > between a
                  > terrible, good, wonderful and a top of the line
                  > website. It doesn't
                  > cost much these days to have a decent site, if
                  > anything at all
                  > (especially with help from rennies!).
                  >

                  > None of us mind helping out. No one has complained
                  > about giving this
                  > place a chance. MY complaint is that the owners
                  > don't seem to be
                  > matching the free help they are getting from the
                  > rennie community. I'm
                  > not talking dollar for dollar, but effort for
                  > effort.
                  >
                  > Chris and I went one day this year. We are not
                  > going back again this
                  > season and unless we see major improvements with the
                  > basics of what a
                  > festival should be and improvements with the
                  > attitude of management,
                  > we are not likely to return again next year. I'm
                  > sorry, Terrie, but we
                  > just can't do it anymore.

                  Lord Iver Gunnar MacComyn
                  Protector of Chieftress Violet MacComyn
                  Gaurdian of the Twin Peaks
                  Wench Inspector
                  Calamity's sanity saver
                  Holder of the sacred Chalice of the United Booser Society
                  "Wake the wenches and pour the beer, Iver Gunnar is here!"

                  It's here! Your new message!
                • Robert Mank
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                    Toward when the rain began to fall...this elf was at Faire, standing outside and enjoying.
                    As the Capt. of the Motleigh said, when saw some of our crew run for cover : ""You're supposed to be pirates! You're supposed to be used to getting wet! all of you running for cover...You're FIRED!!"
                    I did find out that rain makes a turkey leg easier to chew on LMAO :P

                    dobby

                    Norath Tovaar of Chaos <tovaar@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Never miss an email again!
                    Yahoo! Toolbar

                  • Rivkah
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                      Well, it looks as though this is becomming a discussion, and I think
                      I should say something. I never attended Excal at the old site, but
                      I was there helping to tear it down and move it to the new. I had
                      never met George and Terrie, but I was willing and eager to try my
                      hand at land clearing, braving the bugs, snakes, "death trees" and
                      Rennie men enthralled with the idea of graduating from dull cutlasses
                      to real, live chainsaws. Why did I do this? Because I love you
                      guys. I love faire because you, my friends, are there.
                      That is why I love Excal so much; because I spent those weekends
                      with so many of you braving the elements and the forces of mother
                      nature, and got to know you better. We have so many memories wrapped
                      up there . . . for goodness sake I was married there! Not because I
                      love those few weekends a year so much, but because I have so many
                      memories with all of you that took place there. That's what its all
                      about for me. And if we have miserable moments there, then we have
                      them there together. I want these problems solved as much as anyone,
                      but there is a better way of going about it.
                      Sure, I have complaints, and part of me cheered when I realized that
                      some of you have written out thoughts that I myself have had. But
                      then I felt guilty, because complaining about a problem doesn't get
                      it fixed, going to the source respectfully and politely at least has
                      a chance. Believe me, I know it is difficult to get ahold of George
                      and Terrie, but I know that though they may not always answer, they
                      do read thier e-mails and listen to thier voice messages.
                      For those of us who have concerns, I think the best course of
                      action would simply be to take a few minutes and write to George
                      and/or Terrie about it. trying to handle it any other way will only
                      make it worse. As it is, I think they might listen, because the
                      rumbles of discontent are getting louder, and it makes no sense to
                      ignor them and lose your support if you have the opportunity to do
                      the opposite.
                      I agree with Tovar . . . there are going to be problems, and there
                      are going to be frustrations; Rennies as a breed are not wimpy
                      people. We are tough and we can rough it and do so with drunken and
                      enthusiastic abandon. Let's try to make it better and think about
                      why we're there in the first place. For me,my reason is you guys, the
                      rest is window dressing.
                      -Rivkah

                      --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, "Norath Tovaar of Chaos"
                      <tovaar@...> wrote:

                      > Vandor,
                      >
                      > I aggree with your post on this and want to add a few thoughts as
                      well:

                      > 1) Like Karl posted in his message, This Fair is ONLY TWO YEARS
                      OLD! What
                      > do you expect??? Do you think that TRF was This advanced in 1976?
                      Come on
                      > Grow up, Put yer big girl panties on and get over it! George and
                      Terri have
                      > pretty much betted their lives and lively hood on this
                      endevourbecause When
                      > Excalibur did fall through the crack because of the red tape it got
                      tangled
                      > up in, They actually HAD the SACK to do something about it. Now
                      Here you
                      > all come and You go and when you get a chance to say something
                      about the
                      > time you all had whet do you do?
                      >
                      > YOU BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT HOW MISERABLE YOU WERE!
                      > Where were you all when the rain began to fall?
                      > Where were you all when people get lost in the brambles?
                      > What did you do when some one showed up and was not familiar with
                      the the
                      > procedures of how things were to be done?
                      > And knowing that there were people who stayed sunday night, did you
                      watch
                      > the weater?
                      >
                      > Think about those questions. And then think about this...
                      > What kind of TRUE rennie are you?

                      3/12/2007
                      > 8:41 AM

                    • Kindle Hall
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                        OK , my simple opinion here is, there are those who are loyal to this faire for personal, finacial or nostalgic reasons, that will believe that what some of us experienced this weekend was nothing more than growing pains, and there will be those that feel like the owners of excal are exploiting rennies and generally ripping people off. I'm inclined to hover somewhere in the middle of the 2, however its seems the only logical recourse is to agree to disagree.
                           There will always be those that want a mint on their air matress if having to pay a camping fee. and then there are those that are content to pay for a spot that requires a tractor to make ready for tent construction as long as they can get their drink on among friends, Again.... I tend to hang out in the middle.
                            Personally due to lots reasons, we have decided this is just not the fair for us so we will be examining other options for this time of year. I do hope that conditions improve though because I have friends I dearly love with alot(financial and otherwise) invested in it.
                             So in anycase CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!

                        LOVE YA ALL
                        (pro-excal and against lo-cal alike)
                        Kindle

                      • Robert Mank
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
                          I look at a year ago vs this year.
                          Last yerar, at the start of the Faire opening, everybody gung-ho..."Yes! Let's make this a faire to be proud of!!"
                          This year ....complaints and grumbling. <<shakes my head>>

                          What happened to everybody saying they wanted to make this Faire one of the best? A Faire built and cherished by us....we Renfolk?? It seems for some ,the daunting task seen ahead has decreased the belief maybe.

                          Well for myself, and others that STILL believe in what this Faire can become, with patience and believing....it will be us that will continue to watch it grow. Those that say, *until shows the Faire it should be*, etc...Think of the joy missed...Helping to make it the Faire you want thias to be. Instead coming in and not feeling you built it in some way...even if in the spirit of believing in it.

                          I know there are problems still...HECK...I would had been suprised if there wasn't LOL. This Faire is just two years old. If you were building a bussiness...would you suddenly chuck it all in in the second year...because it is not yet at its peak?? Hell no...you would look for the probelms and "work" someway to help show them...but not by complaining. But constructively.
                          Yet- I looked past the problems...saw the growing Faire for what it truly was...and DAMN GREAT Faire indeed. One where the majority of folk were the renfolk...not the patrons so much. We always talk about wanting a Faire of our own...as if built for us. That is what the people are trying to do. And it is in that way those of us in love with this project look forward, not tear apart what was seen and gripe about instead.

                          For soo many griping and grumbling, it is suprising to me because in the Faire I saw happy smiles...people enjoying being there, with others like themselves. For once not feeling they were second hand to dane patrons. now and then I heard grumbling because there was just one place to get beer or ale. To me..it just meant I had more time to finish my drink, enjoy the walk, and re-join at the bar off and on.

                          For once I could enjoy an auction, knowing that when I was bidding it was against another rennie that felt as i did...wanted to get that item for the special value only we can understand holding that new sword or dagger, etc.  And it felt great seeing deputies that was enjoying the auction just as much. when Dark cloud did the "Ooooooo"..."Ahhhhhhhhhh" thing through the crowd...several times i saw the deputies join in the yell. Being a part of the festivities..yet also there to protect us all.

                          So, this elf will continue to love and believe in this Faire, along with those i know feel as io do do....Rivkah, Vandor, and the rest. And.....many years from now, when somebody sees the Faire this will become and remark how great a Faire it is...I will be one of us that will smile...and say a warm heart felt Thank You....That it is built with the love we gave it.

                          Dobby

                          <tovaar@...> wrote:

                          > Vandor,
                          >
                          > I aggree with your post on this and want to add a few thoughts as
                          well:

                          > 1) Like Karl posted in his message, This Fair is ONLY TWO YEARS
                          OLD! What
                          > do you expect??? Do you think that TRF was This advanced in 1976?
                          Come on
                          > Grow up, Put yer big girl panties on and get over it! George and
                          Terri have
                          > pretty much betted their lives and lively hood on this
                          endevourbecause When
                          > Excalibur did fall through the crack because of the red tape it got
                          tangled
                          > up in, They actually HAD the SACK to do something about it. Now
                          Here you
                          > all come and You go and when you get a chance to say something
                          about the
                          > time you all had whet do you do?
                          >
                          > YOU BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT HOW MISERABLE YOU WERE!
                          > Where were you all when the rain began to fall?
                          > Where were you all when people get lost in the brambles?
                          > What did you do when some one showed up and was not familiar with
                          the the
                          > procedures of how things were to be done?
                          > And knowing that there were people who stayed sunday night, did you
                          watch
                          > the weater?
                          >
                          > Think about those questions. And then think about this...
                          > What kind of TRUE rennie are you?

                          3/12/2007
                          > 8:41 AM

                          with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

                        • reddogdamnit2
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                            OK, first off, we didn't make it opening weekend, and may not make it
                            at all; not because of what I've read, but we are busier than kitties
                            burying crap on a tin roof.

                            That being said, I understand it's a new faire, season #2; but has it
                            grown? How many hard booths? Stage? New vendors? Performers? It's a
                            question of growth, not age. Any Hawkwood vets here? Remember it Year
                            2? If so, to quote many a test; compare and contrast Hawkwood Year 2 to
                            new Excal; Year 2.

                            My personal rant: This is a business and must be run as one. Problem
                            with using an existing name is expectations and problems go along with
                            the name. If someone had problems at old Excal, most likely, they blow
                            off new Excal. If someone had a great time at the old location, they
                            expect the same at the new location. So, in buying the good will, you
                            also get the bad. It's all about the business plan.
                          • Donald Allen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
                              OK, dobby, that one made me laugh. Thank you.

                              Donald Kee
                              AKA Donkee
                              Squire of the Joust A 'bout

                              Norath Tovaar of Chaos <tovaar@clan- of-chaos. org> wrote:
                              Vandor,

                              I aggree with your post on this and want to add a few thoughts as well:

                              1) Like Karl posted in his message, This Fair is ONLY TWO YEARS OLD! What
                              do you expect??? D you think that TRF was This advanced in 1976? Come on
[...]

                              Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            • Squint Eye
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 16, 2007
                                I attended Excal on Saturday, opening day. Hotter then
                                I expected. Drank my one beer in the AM then lot of
                                water during the afternoon. Not that many Mundanes at
                                the faire but a lot of fellow playtrons and other
                                rennies that was not garbed but was there.

                                As you may have read campers has a bee in their
                                bonnets this year. I drove back there before the faire
                                opened looking for some friends but got just over the
                                creek bridge when someone who came in at 3:00AM parked
                                in a gray truck along the narrow road and became a
                                chock point. Then along came a SUV going out so I
                                turned around in a very tight place there by the Claw
                                camp just over the bridge. ---After much forward and
                                back manuvors I got turned around and headed back out
                                to the main parking area. I parked next to Willow and
                                got her laced up then we spent the day together with
                                Chandra along as more company. I enjoyed the faire.

                                Around 5:00 PM I once again tried to drive back into
                                the camp ground But once again the road past the creek
                                bridge was chocked down to a one laner there at the
                                Claw camp site so I backed up and parked at the two
                                porta potties and walked in. Visited the Drunkin
                                Gnomes camp. Stopped by Rae and Dax's camp site. <now
                                they had a very nice set up and the burgers smelled
                                good!--Sigh>. Walked on past Valhalla campsite and
                                found Hans and Rivkahs Armadon, Rogue wave and Pirates
                                of Procideon campsite. Visited with them awhile then
                                went back to my car and drove on back Home. My
                                daughter and Grand daughter came down from Dallas to
                                Waco so I had to get back. The camping areas are still
                                rough and some sites require some work BUT! The camp
                                sites that I visited and have mentions was very nice.

                                Of concern to me though----YES I DO HAVE SOME
                                CONCERNS. Though I am not a camper per say I will say
                                that the way the road is and as narrow as the one road
                                in and out get in places is a safety hazard. I would
                                hate to be in the back camp sites if a fire ever broke
                                out in there with all the brush and dry trees and only
                                one road in and out. Now my TWO CENTS--I think the
                                road should be a one way road in and the road cut back
                                to Pebblestone Road for the exit. That way cars can
                                flow into and out of the camp ground and in an
                                emergancy the road can go either direction. I sure
                                wouldn't trust a fire bowl in there at this time.

                                So, Excal is a second year faire and still growing. I
                                saw some new vendors. With only one bar I think some
                                more seating would be nice for us OLD TIMERS with
                                Creaky Bones---Fun was had by myself and my two Gals,
                                Willow and Chandra.

                                Once the unprinted rules are learned and the reserved
                                spots are marked the campers will work thing out. BUT
                                People don't say I won't be back for only one or twp
                                precieved reasons. Just go the faire for one day or
                                Motel it in Lockheart about 12 1/2 miles away. Why do
                                you think Hawkwood brings out fond memories by those
                                faithful who attended and vended there? I was there
                                and it too was buried into the trees, Much like Excal,
                                but even it had its growing pains before it finely
                                closed down.

                                Excal in it's present NEW location is not anything
                                like Excal was at Smithville and the landscape is
                                totally different. EXCAL today has no real theme yet.
                                Excal at Smithville was CAMALOT and King Arthur. So
                                let the faire find itself and prosper.

                                Squinty---Man of Excal

                                SQUINT EYE----1st Gunners Mate
                                Capt'n Jack Sparrow's Black Pearls Crew
                                Gunners Mate of THE LONG NINE CANNON
                                Finest Shot in the World
                                Clan MacGregor of Scotland
                                Knighted as Sir Ronald Hood --aka Squinty The Pirate 2006
                                By Her Majasity Queen Margaret of Scotland--Muskogee,Ok
                                Willow, MommyKin's, beloved Son---Squinty
                                Clan McBuggins: THE RED ADMIRAL Moth Bug
                                Captain of the Guard Of Valkyries Queen Cara <Sam>
                                Gunners Mate at the end of the bar
                                In THE Drunken Gnome Tavern
                                Gnarrator Gnome of The DRUNKEN GNOMES! Number 000
                                Gatherer of faces FM pic rounder upper Gnome
                                All decked out on Captain Rigor's White Dragon Pirate Ship
                                Proud Member of Fergies Clan McBubba number 39
                                Keeper of the Flame---USMC
                                Dragon Rider in the House of the Golden Dragon
                                Also known as Squinty and Squeeshy <to me friends>
                                Admirer of Buxom Wenches
                                General Pirate Rogue
                                Now Slide that Rum down the bar!
                                After all that I am now thirsty!