the box

  • Judie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2005
      THE BOX

      A young man learns what's most important in life from the guy next

      It had been some time since Jack had seen the old man. College,
      career, and life itself got in the way. In fact, Jack moved clear
      the country in pursuit of his dreams.

      There, in the rush of his busy life, Jack had little time to think
      the past and often no time to spend with those important to him. He
      working on his future, and nothing could stop him.

      Over the phone, his mother told him, "Mr.. Belser died last night.
      funeral is Wednesday."

      Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat
      remembering his childhood days.

      "Jack, did you hear me?"

      "Oh, sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought
      him. I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago," Jack said.

      "Well, he didn't forget you. Every time I saw him he'd ask how you
      doing. He'd reminisce about the many days you spent over "his side
      of the
      fence" as he put it," Mom told him.

      "I loved that old house he lived in," Jack said.

      "You know, Jack, after your father died, Mr.Belser stepped in to
      make sure
      you had a man's influence in your life," she said.

      "He's the one who taught me carpentry," he said. "I wouldn't be in
      business if it weren't for him. He spent a lot of time teaching me
      he thought were important...Mom, I'll be there
      for the funeral," Jack said.

      As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to
      hometown. Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He had no
      children of his own, and most of his relatives had
      passed away.

      The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by
      to see
      the old house next door one more time.

      Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment. It was like
      over into another dimension, a leap through space and time.

      The house was exactly as he remembered. Every step held memories.
      picture, every piece of furniture....Jack stopped suddenly.

      "What's wrong, Jack?" his Mom asked.

      "The box is gone," he said.

      "What box? " Mom asked.

      "There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk.
      I must
      have asked him a thousand times what was inside. All he'd ever tell
      me was
      "the thing I value most,'" Jack said

      It was gone. Everything about the house was exactly how Jack
      it, except for the box. He figured someone from the Belser family had
      taken it.

      "Now I'll never know what was so valuable to him," Jack said. "I
      get some sleep. I have an early flight home, Mom."

      It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died. Returning home
      work one day Jack discovered a note in his mailbox."Signature
      required on
      a package. No one at home. Please stop by the main post office
      within the
      next three days," the note read.

      Early the next day Jack retrieved the package. The small box was old
      looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago. The handwriting
      difficult to read, but the return address caught his attention."Mr.
      Belser" it read. Jack took the box out to his car and ripped open the
      package. There inside was the gold box and an envelope. Jack's hands
      as he read the note inside.

      "Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack
      It's the thing I valued most in my life." A small key was taped to
      letter. His heart racing, as tears filling his eyes, Jack carefully
      unlocked the box. There inside he found a beautiful gold pocket
      his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the
      Inside he found these words engraved: "Jack, Thanks for your time! -

      "The thing he valued most...was...my time."

      Jack held the watch for a few minutes, then called his office and
      his appointments for the next two days. "Why?" Janet, his assistant
      "I need some time to spend with my son," he said. "Oh, by the way,
      Janet...thanks for your time!"

      "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the
      that take our breath away,"

      Send this letter to all the people you care about, if you do so, you
      certainly brighten someone's day and might change their perspective on
      life, .for the better.

      To everyone I sent this to "Thanks for your time"

      Time has a way of getting away from all of us...TAKE THE TIME...NOW..

      Thank you to all my friends for your time:) love ya