Re: [Renfolks] silly question....Wha't a wench?

  • Dora Reyes
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1 9:20 AM
      I have a bodice but it is made from a cheap spandex one (it is hidden underneath the fabric. I don't have a belt but I have a loop sewn to my skirt to hold my bag... And i need to go get some muslin to make a decent shirt..mine does NOT breathe...
      And that is the problem I don't know how to walk up to people and judt start talking...I don't feel that I know enough to just walk up and jump in a conversation...

      bethy0123@... wrote:
      A wench would normally wear a bodice that laces up the front.  They didn't have the funds to hire servants to lace them up the back (but at renfaires, there never seems to be a shortage of men volunteering to tie up a woman, front or back..hehehe).  Wenches were typically shop girls and hand servants, etc.

      Everyone in that period had their head covered, as it would be considered indecent to go without your head covered (as the modern shower and shampoo hadn't been invented yet)... A lot of playtrons don't abide by that rule (rule? what's a rule?), but everyone who works at faire has to.

      Most have belts with their pouches and mugs attached, as they didn't have purses back then.  A simple drawstring bag works well.

      A chemise (blouse that goes under the bodice) and a long skirt will complete the costume. The amount of clevage you show is totally up to you, but I have to say the more you show, the more you catch the attention of the rogues, etc.  Most wenches didn't have the funds to accessorize, but at faires you see all kinds of fun things.  Just walk around and notice the things people have on their costumes.  A lot of it can be done with things you may already have around the house.

      As for meeting people to hang with, just go, be friendly, hang out in the pubs, introduce yourself as being on renfolks, and you're sure to find a lot of us around.

      Happy faires!!

      Beth

      "the greatest thing to learn is to love, and be loved back."

    • vamptasia
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1 9:23 AM
        I currently wear a pendragon I got from a friend, a black skirt, brown or white skirt I made, a dagger another friend gave me, a belt given by yet another rennie friend,  A horn I picked up from TRF for $15 or $20 I can't remember real nice though.  A pouch the friend that gave me the pendragon gave me.  She gave me some chamies too and depending on your size I'm sure I have 1 or 2 I can give up *evil grin*  Oh and my flogger A friend rennie friend made for me out of some 8 oz leather I picked up off ebay.  I find alot of good deals on ebay.  I got bells for $3:50 from excal and a fox tail for $5 bucks off ebay.  I don't buy everything at once this was all aquired over the past year and a half of making ren friends and attending faire.  I'm a big girl but I think I have one bodice I can give up if your near my size.  I'll have to check my garb container.  I have fabric gallor I can always whip something up after I get through with my wedding gear so hand in there aquire slowly and soon you will have the perfect Rennie garbdrobe to keep you buisy for days figuring out what your gonna wear next giggles.

        Pouches are easy to make or cheap to purchase on ebay.  Belts can be acquired for $15 on ebay.  Just type in SCA renaissance belt.  Also their are several seamstresses that will do bodice/skirt sets for about 30 bucks on ebay at times.  This will at least be an inexpensive way to acquire some variety.

        Before you know it you will know us all giggles.  Oh and where are you located exactly?

        Huggles,

        Take care, Live Safe, Play in the Shadows, and Search the Night for the Wondering Fire Fairies.

        Vamptasia  AKA Robbin
        Mistress of the Erotic Darkness
        Giggle Goat of the Goat Clan
        Nightbreed of Midian
        The Wolfpack chef extraordinaire
        http://www.vamptasia.com
      • Dora Reyes
        Message 3 of 23 , May 1 9:36 AM
          I guess I need to look at Ebay my problem is that i am not working right now because I am in school at ITT Tech and don't have a sitter for all day...
          And I would be indebted to you in any help you could give...
          I live in Irving but am constantly in Richardson...

          vamptasia <vamptasia@...> wrote:
[...]

        • austinrengirl
          Message 4 of 23 , May 1 9:55 AM
            Hey Dora,
            If your picture on your profile serves me correct, you will be one
            HELL of a wench. If you are interested in the International Wenches
            Guild, go to www.wench.org for more info. I am a member of the IWG
            and there are several other ladies on this group that are members as
            well. As far as your garb, go cheap for now and upgrade to more
            expensive clothing if you decide to do this long-term. I have been
            going to faire for over 20 years and have collected quite a bunch of
            faire garb. Take a look at pictures from faire & that may give you
            some ideas on what you want. Rengeek has the best site with a bunch
            of pix of faire.... http://www.pbase.com/rengeek

            Have fun with your search!

            -selena
          • Dora Reyes
            Message 5 of 23 , May 1 10:05 AM
              The picture is me and with the right ppl that isn't even the half of it....And yes I would be interested Thank you for the link...

              austinrengirl <austinrengirl@...> wrote:
              Hey Dora,
              If your picture on your profile serves me correct, you will be one
              HELL of a wench.  If you are interested in the International Wenches
              Guild, go to www.wench.org for more info.  I am a member of the IWG
              and there are several other ladies on this group that are members as
              well.  As far as your garb, go cheap for now and upgrade to more
              expensive clothing if you decide to do this long-term.  I have been
              going to faire for over 20 years and have collected quite a bunch of
              faire garb. Take a look at pictures from faire & that may give you
              some ideas on what you want.  Rengeek has the best site with a bunch
              of pix of faire....  http://www.pbase.com/rengeek

              Have fun with your search!

              -selena

              "the greatest thing to learn is to love, and be loved back."

            • Cherry, The Lifesaver
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1 10:46 AM
                If you're 21 or over you can come to the White Horse Tavern and just
                sit down and chat. Everyone chat's with everyone there. Or come to
                the wench line in front of the Frozen Lemonade stand in crown
                meadow. Ask for Cherry and I'll chat with you... If you're in
                costume you can start a conversation with someone you want to talk to
                by asking them about their costume. Everyone that's in costume likes
                to chat about costuming. Then you can go from there... Go to a
                Rouges show and chat about Nelson (teheeheehe), most girls are googoo
                over him. Hope that helps.
                Cherry

                --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Dora Reyes <gemmdoras@y...> wrote:
                > I have a bodice but it is made from a cheap spandex one (it is
                hidden underneath the fabric. I don't have a belt but I have a loop
                sewn to my skirt to hold my bag... And i need to go get some muslin
                to make a decent shirt..mine does NOT breathe... And that is the
                problem I don't know how to walk up to people and judt start
                talking...I don't feel that I know enough to just walk up and jump in
                a conversation...

                > bethy0123@a... wrote:A wench would normally wear a bodice that
                laces up the front. They didn't have the funds to hire servants to
                lace them up the back (but at renfaires, there never seems to be a
                shortage of men volunteering to tie up a woman, front or
                back..hehehe). Wenches were typically shop girls and hand servants,
                etc.

                > Everyone in that period had their head covered, as it would be
                considered indecent to go without your head covered (as the modern
                shower and shampoo hadn't been invented yet)... A lot of playtrons
                don't abide by that rule (rule? what's a rule?), but everyone who
                works at faire has to.

                > Most have belts with their pouches and mugs attached, as they
                didn't have purses back then. A simple drawstring bag works well.

                > A chemise (blouse that goes under the bodice) and a long skirt will
                complete the costume. The amount of clevage you show is totally up to
                you, but I have to say the more you show, the more you catch the
                attention of the rogues, etc. Most wenches didn't have the funds to
                accessorize, but at faires you see all kinds of fun things. Just
                walk around and notice the things people have on their costumes. A
                lot of it can be done with things you may already have around the
                house.

                > As for meeting people to hang with, just go, be friendly, hang out
                in the pubs, introduce yourself as being on renfolks, and you're sure
                to find a lot of us around.

                > Happy faires!!
                >
                > Beth
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.

                > "the greatest thing to learn is to love, and be loved back."

              • Selena
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1 10:51 AM
                  :big ole grin: Did someone say Nelvis?? Yummmm....

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 1 10:54 AM
                    See it worked already! Yes dear Selena, Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson Nelson
                    How about that.... hahahaha
                    Cherry

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 1 11:02 AM
                      Cherry ,
                      Dear you already know me..I am the blonde that has been with Larry...I haven't ever been to the lemonade stand so maybe that will help...

                      "Cherry, The Lifesaver" <hippler@...> wrote:
                      If you're 21 or over you can come to the White Horse Tavern and just
                      sit down and chat.  Everyone chat's with everyone there. Or come to
                      the wench line in front of the Frozen Lemonade stand in crown
                      meadow.  Ask for Cherry and I'll chat with you... If you're in
                      costume you can start a conversation with someone you want to talk to
                      by asking them about their costume. Everyone that's in costume likes
                      to chat about costuming.  Then you can go from there... Go to a
                      Rouges show and chat about Nelson (teheeheehe), most girls are googoo
                      over him.  Hope that helps.
                      Cherry

                      --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Dora Reyes <gemmdoras@y...> wrote:
                      > I have a bodice but it is made from a cheap spandex one (it is
                      hidden underneath the fabric. I don't have a belt but I have a loop
                      sewn to my skirt to hold my bag... And i need to go get some muslin
                      to make a decent shirt..mine does NOT breathe... And that is the
                      problem I don't know how to walk up to people and judt start
                      talking...I don't feel that I know enough to just walk up and jump in
                      a conversation...

                      > bethy0123@a... wrote:A wench would normally wear a bodice that
                      laces up the front.  They didn't have the funds to hire servants to
                      lace them up the back (but at renfaires, there never seems to be a
                      shortage of men volunteering to tie up a woman, front or
                      back..hehehe).  Wenches were typically shop girls and hand servants,
                      etc.

                      > Everyone in that period had their head covered, as it would be
                      considered indecent to go without your head covered (as the modern
                      shower and shampoo hadn't been invented yet)... A lot of playtrons
                      don't abide by that rule (rule? what's a rule?), but everyone who
                      works at faire has to.

                      > Most have belts with their pouches and mugs attached, as they
                      didn't have purses back then.  A simple drawstring bag works well.

                      > A chemise (blouse that goes under the bodice) and a long skirt will
                      complete the costume. The amount of clevage you show is totally up to
                      you, but I have to say the more you show, the more you catch the
                      attention of the rogues, etc.  Most wenches didn't have the funds to
                      accessorize, but at faires you see all kinds of fun things.  Just
                      walk around and notice the things people have on their costumes.  A
                      lot of it can be done with things you may already have around the
                      house.

                      > As for meeting people to hang with, just go, be friendly, hang out
                      in the pubs, introduce yourself as being on renfolks, and you're sure
                      to find a lot of us around.

                      > Happy faires!!
                      >
                      > Beth
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Service.

                      > "the greatest thing to learn is to love, and be loved back."

                      "the greatest thing to learn is to love, and be loved back."

                    • angie forester
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 1 11:17 AM
                        selena - you are a hopeless case... quit drooling i t
                        will ruin the keyboard and go home and change your
                        panties...

                        angel
                        --- Selena <austinrengirl@...> wrote:
                        > :big ole grin: Did someone say Nelvis?? Yummmm....
                        >

                        > >Go to a Rouges show and chat about Nelson
                        > (teheeheehe), most girls
                        > >are googoo over him. Hope that helps.

                        http://search.yahoo.com
                      • Cherry, The Lifesaver
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 1 1:12 PM
                          "Oh", ~waves~ Hello... So are you dating Larry? He's cool. Like the
                          long red hair. Grrr We've been friends, faire friends for years.
                          Getting to know people just takes time. I know a lot of rennies, but
                          I've been going to 4 to 7 faires a year for over 7 years. Once you
                          meet one person, they introduce you to one more and so on. Sorry I
                          didn't put the name to the person. Have a super day. See ya this
                          weekend.

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 1 1:55 PM
                            no no Larry and I are not dating, we are friends...I gave up on wanting to date him..he's a pain in the arse...but i love the hell out of him...And Larry would be the perfect person to introduce me to people but he doesn't walk around much and forgets to help bring people into a converstaion...I will hopefully be there this weekend I even have a sitter....YEAH Party.. no kids....

                          • James Huckabay
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 1 7:41 PM
                              Where do you live? If you are close to Houston, you could come to one
                              of our monthly gatherings. I'm sure there would be plenty of people
                              glad to give you pointers. There is also lots of people in DFW &
                              Austin that you might could hook up with.

                              Tavern Knight

                              --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Dora Reyes <gemmdoras@y...> wrote:
                              > I have a bodice but it is made from a cheap spandex one (it is
                              hidden underneath the fabric. I don't have a belt but I have a loop
                              sewn to my skirt to hold my bag... And i need to go get some muslin
                              to make a decent shirt..mine does NOT breathe... And that is the
                              problem I don't know how to walk up to people and judt start
                              talking...I don't feel that I know enough to just walk up and jump in
                              a conversation...

                              > bethy0123@a... wrote:A wench would normally wear a bodice that
                              laces up the front. They didn't have the funds to hire servants to
                              lace them up the back (but at renfaires, there never seems to be a
                              shortage of men volunteering to tie up a woman, front or
                              back..hehehe). Wenches were typically shop girls and hand servants,
                              etc.

                              > Everyone in that period had their head covered, as it would be
                              considered indecent to go without your head covered (as the modern
                              shower and shampoo hadn't been invented yet)... A lot of playtrons
                              don't abide by that rule (rule? what's a rule?), but everyone who
                              works at faire has to.

                              > Most have belts with their pouches and mugs attached, as they
                              didn't have purses back then. A simple drawstring bag works well.

                              > A chemise (blouse that goes under the bodice) and a long skirt will
                              complete the costume. The amount of clevage you show is totally up to
                              you, but I have to say the more you show, the more you catch the
                              attention of the rogues, etc. Most wenches didn't have the funds to
                              accessorize, but at faires you see all kinds of fun things. Just
                              walk around and notice the things people have on their costumes. A
                              lot of it can be done with things you may already have around the
                              house.

                              > As for meeting people to hang with, just go, be friendly, hang out
                              in the pubs, introduce yourself as being on renfolks, and you're sure
                              to find a lot of us around.

                              > Happy faires!!
                              >
                              > Beth
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.

                            • Marsali@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 1 8:27 PM
                                In a message dated 5/1/2003 12:53:09 PM Central Daylight Time, austinrengirl@... writes:

                                :big ole grin:  Did someone say Nelvis??  Yummmm....

                                  I still miss BRYAN!!! ::pout:: And his cute dimples. ::sniffle::

                                ~ Cider ~
                              • Cherry, The Lifesaver
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 2 8:41 AM
                                  Great, look for me at the WHITE HORSE PUB and then at the Parade.
                                  Just ask someone where's the wench line. You'll find me. I'M SO
                                  EXCITED! Hey, I'm camping next weekend at Bardwell. If you have a
                                  tent you can camp on my site with me and meet some more people. $5
                                  per night per tent. Let me know.
                                  Cherry

                                  --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Dora Reyes <gemmdoras@y...> wrote:
                                  > no no Larry and I are not dating, we are friends...I gave up on
                                  wanting to date him..he's a pain in the arse...but i love the hell
                                  out of him...And Larry would be the perfect person to introduce me to
                                  people but he doesn't walk around much and forgets to help bring
                                  people into a converstaion...I will hopefully be there this weekend I
                                  even have a sitter....YEAH Party.. no kids....Dora