Re: Advice

  • Robbin
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2002
      Well it really depends on the fabric of the hat. You can definately
      try Rit Dye available at Walmart. But you might try the craft store
      for other options. Felt can be made of anything from synthetic
      material to natural. Naturals die well but some synthetics don't.
      Then if it does take the dye well add a spray coating of water
      proofer readily available in the camping section at walmart.

      Take care.

      Vamptasia
    • Jeff Kleinman
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 2, 2002

        Depending on where you live there are hat stores that can clean and restore your hat to a new state... I am having the same done with mine....

        >From: Marsali@...
        >To: Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, trashypeople@yahoogroups.com, chaosfamily@yahoogroups.com, booser@yahoogroups.com, texasrenfaires@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Renfolks] Advice
        >Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:50:47 EDT
        >
        >Okay all you seamstresses and garb-makin' people out there, I need some help.
        >Well, my hat does at any rate. Heh. You see, I was of the opinion that the
        >nice black hat needed some sun and as such, left it baking in the back window
        >of my car. It's developed a nice tan.... a nice *brown* tan. ::mutter:: What
        >do you recommend that I can use to return my poor hat back to it's blackened
        >state? I'm wanting something waterproof and permanent. The hat itself is ...
        >felt I think. ::shrug::
        >
        > ~ Cider the absentminded one ~

      • the Argyle
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 2, 2002
          Cider, If it is the LEATHER hat you are talking about... go to any
          western leather supply store and get leather dye. after it dries it
          usually does not run, (but check with the lable and clerk).
          Tracie

          --- In Renfolks@y..., Marsali@a... wrote:
          > Okay all you seamstresses and garb-makin' people out there, I need
          some help.
          > Well, my hat does at any rate. Heh. You see, I was of the opinion
          that the
          > nice black hat needed some sun and as such, left it baking in the
          back window
          > of my car. It's developed a nice tan.... a nice *brown*
          tan. ::mutter:: What
          > do you recommend that I can use to return my poor hat back to it's
          blackened
          > state? I'm wanting something waterproof and permanent. The hat
          itself is ...
          > felt I think. ::shrug::
          >
          > ~ Cider the absentminded one ~
        • Koolagh
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
            Ok all the motorcyle riders out there, I need some info.  I know next to nothing about bikes and am wondering what size I need to be shopping for.  1200cc? 1500? What?  Talk to me people.
          • Mia S
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
              depends on what you want it for, if you want just a nice crusier to save gas, for speed, for hauling, or for power

              Ok all the motorcyle riders out there, I need some info.  I know next to nothing about bikes and am wondering what size I need to be shopping for.  1200cc? 1500? What?  Talk to me people.

            • Hans Hardin
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

                Depends on what style and what brand, I've been riding 31 years all different styles, from bikes that cruised 190 +, to Harleys that felt like my ass was in a vibrator( no funny remarks)lol  at 75 miles an hr felt like they would fall apart, your size, I would think a Fat boy, Heritage softail, to the Honda Valkrie, jsut dpends what brand you are interested in.

                Admiral Teiwaz

                depends on what you want it for, if you want just a nice crusier to save gas, for speed, for hauling, or for power

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Considering its Koolagh it should at least have a red oval on the front no matter what it is.
                  M)D
                • Cheryl Slaughter
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Koolagh:

                    Been riding for 30 years and that includes racing too.  You have all kinds of choices - obviously Harley's are going to be more expensive (and that includes maintenance and parts).  Honda make excellent bikes as do Kawasaki and BMW.

                    Go out and SIT on some bikes you like.  It's all going to boil down to what is comfortable for you, what you can afford and what you feel comfortable handling.  When you sit on it, are your feet flat on the ground or are you on your toes?  Are the handlebars within comfortable reach?  Can you pick it up if it falls?  Where is the center of gravity on the bike in relation to your body build?

                    If you're set on a Harley - many of the shops offer a rental program where you rent them for a day or more.I I do this everytime I go to Daytona and found out I like Bobs and Glides over a FatBoy anyday)  I know Honda does too.  Take a few different ones out and see what feels right for you.  Engine power - while nice - isn't that important unless you're racing or planning on getting a RoadKing or a touring bike.  Then you do need the extra engine power for compensate for the weight.

                    Hope this helps!

                    Cheryl

                    Koolagh <koolagh@...> wrote:
                    Ok all the motorcyle riders out there, I need some info.  I know next to nothing about bikes and am wondering what size I need to be shopping for.  1200cc? 1500? What?  Talk to me people.

                  • Neraksnikl
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                      A friend of mine rides an 1100cc Honda Shadow Spirit. That would be a great bike for you Koolagh, but nothing smaller, especially if both of you are gonna ride it together.

                      Best of luck,
                      Karen

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

                          Screw it Koolagh, go get yorself a DUCATI 999 Sport bike, learn to do wheelies,endos, learn how to knee drag and handle yor bike at 150+ mph...key word,"learn"!lol Just kidding, good luck on yor search, but ALWAYS REMEMBER,cars are the enemy,they don't see you as well as a car.,...go to my myspace , PIRATEOFPIRATES, (wait,yor already a friend)and see the pictures of what the drunk driver did to me and my bike, not trying to detour you, but just to let you know,it is dangerous.

                          Admiral Teiwaz

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                            Teiwaz,
                             When was your bike accident? I may have heard about it, but "old timers" grabs me every so often and I ferget things, don'tcha' know..

                            Take care and keep the rubber side down,

                            Karen

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

                              It was 2001, but I still hurt and have many medical problems due to it, one, my spine is riddled with severe arthritis and degenerative disks, herniations, and they want to do a 3 disk fusion..oh, and my arm is still seperated from my shoulder, not to mention my hip is displaced and my right leg is shorter than the left...DAMN, now my secret is out,my way of walk is a limp and everyone thought I just had a swagger! LOL

                              Admiral Teiwaz

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                                Oh wow. I hope you were able to prosecute the drunk driver.  Mike and I saw you at Scarby, but you were naked (not in garb) and when it dawned on us who you were, you were gone..

                                Take care,

                                Karen

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

                                  Actually, I testified on his behalf, he was 21, never been in trouble before, and didn't have alot of insurance ,and as alot of you know, lets just say, I've been in a"little" trouble before(but learned from the mistakes of my past)lol, and was forgiven and given a second chance, so I wanted to be the one to reciprocate (and hopefully earn some karma points,lol), so instead of him doing seven years prison, he was given seven years probation and made to pay for the hospital bill I paid for out of my pocket.  So I get a little check every month from the Bexar County Adult probation office, he hasn't missed a month in 5 years, so I know he hasn't gotten into any trouble,......or at least not been caught. lol  But at least I was the one to give him a second chance.

                                  Admiral Teiwaz

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                                    SOmethink w/a sidecar :o)

                                    Don't skimp on the helmet or the insurance, LOTS of medical coverage.

                                    I came across a vintage 86 Interceptor last year, traded a running 2001 Rebel 250 even. Bout a month after I sent my taxes in I put it in the shop to test the compression, sync the carbs and get it roadworthy etc. I was expecting a check from the IRS, I got a bill instead. Hello World, on to plan B.

                                    Think real long and hard about getting a bike, they will fucking kill you quick. Imagine shredding a tire or losing your chain at 120 mph. On the other hand the insurance is cheap and theres the gas mileage.... can't ride in the rain... I dunno, look for something with 3 wheels and lots of lights. I've totaled two bikes so far, three strikes I reckon I'm out.

                                    Dunkin'

                                  • Neraksnikl

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 6, 2008

                                        I've had 14 wrecks (and it's not because I can't ride, I can ride the hell out of bikes),however, ranging from simple fall, to going down over 100mph 2 times, hit by drunk drivers twice, flipped in a wheelie once(wind caught my fairings underneath while riding a wheelie up San Pedro in San Antonio...(thats embarrasing when your notorious for a wheelie rider) slid out in a turn at 85mph..etc.etc.etc., but I still ride and will till the day I die...probably on a bike, but in my defense,EVERY wreck was somehow been attributed to a car..but that would take forever to explain each and everyone.LOL

                                        Admiral Teiwaz

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 6, 2008
                                          I dropped my yamaha a few times but have NEVER crashed < knocks on
                                          wood>. I have yet to drop my Harley < again knocks on wood>, nor do I
                                          want too!! I have had some close calls with cars being stupid but...

                                          --- In Renfolks@yahoogroups.com, Hans Hardin <teiwazthepirate@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I've had 14 wrecks (and it's not because I can't ride, I can ride
                                          the hell out of bikes),however, ranging from simple fall, to going
                                          down over 100mph 2 times, hit by drunk drivers twice, flipped in a
                                          wheelie once(wind caught my fairings underneath while riding a
                                          wheelie up San Pedro in San Antonio...(thats embarrasing when your
                                          notorious for a wheelie rider) slid out in a turn at
                                          85mph..etc.etc.etc., but I still ride and will till the day I
                                          die...probably on a bike, but in my defense,EVERY wreck was somehow
                                          been attributed to a car..but that would take forever to explain each
                                          and everyone.LOL
                                          > Admiral Teiwaz

                                        • Wilma the Woodchuck
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 7, 2008
                                            Admirable Admiral. Watch it your rep will slip!!

                                            WW

                                            wrote:

                                            > Actually, I testified on his behalf, he was 21, never been in
                                            trouble before, and didn't have alot of insurance ,and as alot
                                            of you know, lets just say, I've been in a"little" trouble before
                                            (but learned from the mistakes of my past)lol, and was forgiven and
                                            given a second chance, so I wanted to be the one to reciprocate (and
                                            hopefully earn some karma points,lol), so instead of him doing seven
                                            years prison, he was given seven years probation and made to pay for
                                            the hospital bill I paid for out of my pocket.  So I get a
                                            little check every month from the Bexar County Adult probation
                                            office, he hasn't missed a month in 5 years, so I know he hasn't
                                            gotten into any trouble,......or at least not been caught. lol
                                            But at least I was the one to give him a second chance.
                                            > Admiral Teiwaz

                                          • guy JONES
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 7, 2008
                                              That is sad.....
                                              Having a bike is awsome and fun if you are responsible
                                              enough to have one .and have the smarts to wear a
                                              helmet and have good insurance. yes we have gotten
                                              into a few "comprimised" posssitions a few times, but
                                              thank God were are still here and the insurance paid
                                              off!!!!And YES cars ars stupid for not having the
                                              reespect for all bikes on the road !!!!!
                                              LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            • guy JONES
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 8, 2008
                                                Great advice Cheryl !!!!!!!!!!!!
> [...]

                                                > or more.I I do this everytime I go to Daytona and
                                                > found out I like Bobs and Glides over a FatBoy
                                                > anyday)  I know Honda does too.  Take a
                                                > few different ones out and see what feels right for
                                                > you.  Engine power - while nice - isn't that
                                                > important unless you're racing or planning on
                                                > getting a RoadKing or a touring bike.  Then you
                                                > do need the extra engine power for compensate for
                                                > the weight.
                                                >
                                                > Hope this helps!
                                                >
                                                > Cheryl
                                                >

                                                > Koolagh <koolagh@sbcglobal. net> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > Ok all the motorcyle riders out there, I need some
                                                > info.  I know next to nothing about bikes and
                                                > am wondering what size I need to be shopping
                                                > for.  1200cc? 1500? What?  Talk to me
                                                > people.
                                                >

                                                > Stay informed, get connected and more with AOL on
                                                > your phone.
                                                >

                                                > Stay informed, get connected and more with AOL on

                                              • Cheryl Slaughter
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 8, 2008
                                                  Thank you Teiwaz!

                                                  Cheryl