Re: Checking in From Air Force NCO Academy

  • austinrengirl
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In Renfolks@y..., "scorchfromchaos" <scorchfromchaos@y...>
      illegibly scribble:
      > Greetings...well I have just about finished my first
      > full week of the NCO academy, so far it has not been
      > what I have expected. It has been FUN.

      You're demented!! ::runandhidebehindmitchell::
      Just teasing, Sweetie. That is fantastic! Can't wait to have a
      drink with ya & laugh with you about your stories!

      -ehugs
      -selena & mitchell
    • Robbie Sheehy
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2002
        Hi Scorch,

        Glad to know you're doing well at the ole NCO Academy. I only made it
        as far as NCO Leadership School as I separated from the Air Force in
        April 1988 as a SSgt. But yes, the Academy is so......muchoo betta than
        Leadership School. Everyday I was on detail plus out of my class I was
        the only student who got to play 3 different roles - why I had no clue
        at that time but it was ok.

        One morning while policing up the grounds in the dark I found a $5.00
        bill (using a flashlight, naturally) so it made doing that detail all
        the more worth it. I wish now I could have stayed in the Air Force and
        made it a full 20 year career but alas had I done so I would not be
        married to Arie now. I got out on the ole Gramm-Rudman RIFF in 1988.
        Me and Arie got married a month earlier in March 1988.

        I don't regret the 11 years I had active duty - I surely miss those good
        ole days but I wouldn't want to do them now. Me and Arie met at Royal
        Air Force Greenham Common in England, home of the Ground Launched Cruise
        Missiles (GCLM). And when he was at the NCO Academy at RAF Upwood he
        would come home each weekend and, get this, still work his part time job
        at the NCO Club on Saturday nights (all night long) then go back up to
        the Academy on Sundays. How he ever made it through I'll never know
        other than he drank tons of coffee. Me and his daughter came up for his
        graduation and it was quite nice. We still have the photo of me and him
        in our uniforms as I wore my service dress uniform at his graduation
        ceremony. Gosh, I miss our days in England even with the war exercises
        we played. They really were the best times of my life!!!!

        Lilith
      • Philip A. Berchtold
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
          Ida and I just got back from teaching at the Kirtland NCO Acadamy for a CAP
          course called Region Staff College last month. We borrow the facilities
          for a week from the AF. Many of the lecturers are on the NCO Academy staff
          - seems they like teaching "older" adults as a change from the normal
          fodder. I taught computers and webpage design. Ida was the Protocol Officer.

          Best wishes on your course.

          Regards,
          Phil

          At 04:55 PM 8/2/2002, you wrote:
          >Hi Scorch,
          >
          >Glad to know you're doing well at the ole NCO Academy. I only made it
          >as far as NCO Leadership School as I separated from the Air Force in
          >April 1988 as a SSgt. But yes, the Academy is so......muchoo betta than
          >Leadership School. Everyday I was on detail plus out of my class I was
          >the only student who got to play 3 different roles - why I had no clue
          >at that time but it was ok.
          >
          >One morning while policing up the grounds in the dark I found a $5.00
          >bill (using a flashlight, naturally) so it made doing that detail all
          >the more worth it. I wish now I could have stayed in the Air Force and
          >made it a full 20 year career but alas had I done so I would not be
          >married to Arie now. I got out on the ole Gramm-Rudman RIFF in 1988.
          >Me and Arie got married a month earlier in March 1988.
          >
          >I don't regret the 11 years I had active duty - I surely miss those good
          >ole days but I wouldn't want to do them now. Me and Arie met at Royal
          >Air Force Greenham Common in England, home of the Ground Launched Cruise
          >Missiles (GCLM). And when he was at the NCO Academy at RAF Upwood he
          >would come home each weekend and, get this, still work his part time job
          >at the NCO Club on Saturday nights (all night long) then go back up to
          >the Academy on Sundays. How he ever made it through I'll never know
          >other than he drank tons of coffee. Me and his daughter came up for his
          >graduation and it was quite nice. We still have the photo of me and him
          >in our uniforms as I wore my service dress uniform at his graduation
          >ceremony. Gosh, I miss our days in England even with the war exercises
          >we played. They really were the best times of my life!!!!
          >
          >Lilith

        • scorchfromchaos
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2002
            Thanks to Lilith, Arie, and Phil! This thing has been alot of
            fun...although I'm in the same town as my home base, I'm actually
            living here during the week and going home on weekends. Yes, tonight
            I go to live at my house for the weekend LOL. We aren't running in
            formation... due to the heat and the competitive spirit, some of the
            older folks (like me LOL) have had some problems when they try to
            keep up with the pack. Therefore the law is NO running in
            formation...we just go at our own pace. The courses are cool and
            everyone gets along great! Talk to ya'll soon, Scorch
          • Ron Sheehy
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11, 2002
              That's what I did for Leadership school, stayed in the dorm's during the
              week, walked 2 blocks home to the wife and kids on the weekends. Ended up
              have a gathering of most of the class on our 5th weekend at may place for
              those who were from off base. 20 gal potato salad, burgers, etc, the works.
              At least there were enough hands to clean dishes (lol).

              Lilith says hi, good luck, and keep studying.

              Arie

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 2002
                Hi Scorch,

                How's the ole NCO Academy going? By the way to clear up what Arie wrote
                - when he was at NCO Leadership School I didn't know him so I thought
                I'd better clear that up - I wasn't near his home for his bash. Ha ha
                ha.... I met Arie in England in April 1985.

                I know you'll be ever so very glad when school is over with:)