riddle

  • Sturmritter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2002

      Here something that is OT but still facinating , so  I thought I would share it.

      Riddle:

      You find yourself in a room with two exit doors, one painted green and one painted yellow.  You don't know how you got in the room itself but you do know that you can only exit one of those doors safely. If you exit through the wrong door you will set off a trap that will blow the place up. In the room are two computers, both knowing which door you can exit safely. One computer will tell the truth, and the other computer is programmed to lie. You don't know which door is the safe door to exit or which computer will tell the truth. There is only one question you can ask  either one of the computers to exit the room safely.

      What question will you ask the computer to get out of the room safely?

      -Lord Sturm

    • ladydimoondancer
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2002
        Isn't this sort of the same riddle that was in the movie, Labyrinth?

        'So you want to get to the castle? Well, then, you'll have to answer
        the riddle. With a little smile, Sarah said to Ralph, "Answer yes or
        no. Would he," and she pointed at Alph, "tell me that this door," she
        pointed at the door behind Ralph, "leads to the castle?"

        Alph and Ralph looked at her, then at each other. They conferred in
        whispers.

        Ralph looked up at her. "Uh . . . yes."

        "Then the other door leads to the castle," Sarah concluded. "And this
        door leads to certain death."

        "How do you know?" Ralph asked slowly. His voice was aggrieved. "He
        could be telling you the truth."

        "Then you wouldn't be," Sarah replied. "So if you tell me he said
        yes, I know the answer was no." She was very pleased with herself.

        Ralph and Alph looked dejected, feeling that they had obscurely been
        cheated. "But I could be telling the truth," Ralph objected.

        "Then he would be lying," Sarah said, allowing herself a broad smile
        of pleasure. "So if you tell me that he said yes, the answer would
        still be no."

        "Wait a minute," Ralph said. He frowned. "Is that right?"

        "I don't know," replied Alph airily. "I wasn't listening."

        "It's right," Sarah told them. "I figured it out. I never could until
        now." She beamed. "I may be getting smarter."'

        Of course, she chose wrong. if I remember right,

        Diana-Moondancer

        --- In Renfolks@y..., Sturmritter <sturmritter_tx@y...> wrote:

        > Here something that is OT but still facinating , so I thought I
        would share it.

        > Riddle:
        >
        > You find yourself in a room with two exit doors, one painted green
        and one painted yellow. You don't know how you got in the room
        itself but you do know that you can only exit one of those doors
        safely. If you exit through the wrong door you will set off a trap
        that will blow the place up. In the room are two computers, both
        knowing which door you can exit safely. One computer will tell the
        truth, and the other computer is programmed to lie. You don't know
        which door is the safe door to exit or which computer will tell the
        truth. There is only one question you can ask either one of the
        computers to exit the room safely.

        > What question will you ask the computer to get out of the room
        safely?

        > -Lord Sturm

      • Wolfman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2002
          This riddle has been around for ages, and has been
          used and reused many times over.

          As for Labrynth, she stepped through the door, and
          fell into the hole that led to the oubliette which
          actually was a step forward on her journey.

          Cuthbert

          --- ladydimoondancer <ladydimoondancer@...>

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • _illyanna
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2002
            Some people just have too much time on their hands. Please tell me
            that you cut and pasted this dialogue, and didn't type it from
            memory...

            _illyanna
            Bliss of Trash Tribe
            Frenchie of the Toast, thrice
            TrashMistress
            G.G. *ahem* Griffin's Girl, for those of you who can't get it.

            --- In Renfolks@y..., "ladydimoondancer" <ladydimoondancer@y...>

          • ladydimoondancer
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2002
              Me.....memory? Ok, you can all stop laughing now. I did indeed cut
              and paste. <g>

              Moondancer