Hello Fellow Ren Lovers

  • pugzilla
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I have a question that i am looking for major imput on.

      My husband and I love Renaissance Faires and would like to develop one
      where we are now. we dont know where to begin we know there is a lot
      that goes into it and would appreciate any input anyone would share.
      Our plan is to develope a longer running ren enviroment that would
      allow a more emerced ren experiance. we are just in our beginning
      stages but would welcom any info or comments and intrests.

      Thank You
    • Lurch
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        Before you take a single step creatively, make absolutely certain you are ready to run a small business in both a hostile economy AND a field prone to failures well above the going rate (with the requisite difficulties securing credit and such).

        If you don't have the fundemental knowledge and skill base to handle revenue/investment generation, business structure, advertising programs, talent recruitment, vendor relations and more, then I would strongly suggest not starting an event until you have them.

        In the short term, I'd *highly* suggest involving yourselves into your local event(s) on a management level if you are not already. Beyond the already formidable tasks of running a business, you'll also need to have the specific faire-related knowledge of how your particular customer base will view faires, how local groups expect to interact with faires, etc. Just be careful to keep things polite and proper between yourselves and your faire, and remember that direct poaching should you set yourself up as a competitor may backfire.

        Finally I'd also suggest going to most if not all major internet social networking sites and checking faire communitites there for potential support - facebook, myspace, livejournal, tribe etc. ad nauseum. They're a good place to find potential volunteers and get localized input from people who may actually be in a position to help.

        > I have a question that i am looking for major imput on.
        >
        > My husband and I love Renaissance Faires and would like to
        > develop one
        > where we are now. we dont know where to begin we know there
        > is a lot
        > that goes into it and would appreciate any input anyone
        > would share.
        > Our plan is to develope a longer running ren enviroment
        > that would
        > allow a more emerced ren experiance. we are just in our
        > beginning
        > stages but would welcom any info or comments and intrests.
        >
        > Thank You

      • Squint Eye
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          I would suggest talking to Paul at Middlefaire after the faire is over next weekend.
          This is the 3rd year of Middlefaire here in Hillsboro, Texas.
          They have a yahoo site on yahoo360.com