Spotlighted Portrait of the Month

  • Gil
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,

      We have so many new additions to our populace here and we
      are so pleased to have you all joining in our merry gathering. I
      would like to take this time to welcome you all! We have unique group
      with members from all across the country as well as internationally.
      Our group takes pride in having such a diverse, interesting,
      highly active and knowledgeable online community, so you can be
      almost certain that there are some club members who attend the
      Renaissance Faires in your own areas. My Lords and Ladies, please do
      your best to make our new members feel at home here among us!

      Our spotlight member fills the space on yonder blank parchment of our
      home scroll! Those who are of a mind to provide images for our honored
      spotlight, be they of yourself, your family, or your "furry",
      "feathered" or "scaled" children, feel free to dispatch an e-missive
      to my humble self. Also remember that our member for April, 2004, was
      our first spotlighted non-human character, but hopefully not the last.
      So if you are a fairy, a troll, an orc, an elf, or what have you,
      please feel free to contact me. September 2005, was our first
      Illustrated Spotlight Member and May 2006 was the first time that we
      are using an example of the member's work as a photographer. Which
      were both the first time that we have featured a member in either
      fashion, but hopefully they will open the doors to an additional ways
      in which member can be featured. I think these may both be a new ways
      for our members to express themselves within the group, especially
      those who have artistic talent but may not be comfortable with
      appearing in person in our spotlight...

      LordCygnusX@...

      Our spotlighted portrait of the month for July 2006 is Master Artisan
      Lord Andrew MacGregor (A.K.A. Charles Knutson), of MacGregor Historic
      Games / Rose & Pentagram Design Purveyors of historic pastimes to
      re-enactors around the world! Here are his own words about
      his life as a carpenter, craftsman, playtron and rennie, among many
      other things.

      "Our home fair is MNRF where we started out as street characters
      (Andrew & Ellesh MacGregor) in 1989 with a Scottish historical
      reenactment group. My wife, Beth didn't know a craft to demonstrate to
      portray women's roles, so she often got stuck cooking. But, she did
      play Backgammon, and eventually used her love of the game to create a
      niche for herself in our group teaching the public about the history
      of games.

      Over several years, so many people asked if the games were for sale
      anywhere, that we designed our own boards featuring my Celtic
      knotwork, and began selling them as MacGregor Historic Games (
      http://historicgames.com ) at various Renfairs and historical
      reenactments. We've been in business teaching and selling period games
      since 1995. We try to keep an educational asspect to what we do, and
      so along with demonstrating the games, I also demonatrate a small wood
      lathe that I built myself based on my research (
      http://historicgames.com/lathes/lindex.html ) on which I make small
      toys and game pegs and other small objects turned from wood and bone."

      From more information about MacGregor Historic Games:
      http://historicgames.com

      June 2006 was the first time that we have featured members of our
      group as an ensemble, but hopefully other troupes will want to
      be spotlight thusly. I think this may be yet another way for our
      members to feature themselves, their guilds, fair cast members and
      other organizations. If you need a little FREE "P.R." for your group,
      then I'd be happy to assist you in this way.

      If you would like to be featured thusly, either your artwork or your
      garbed self, (it matters not how long you may have been a member) feel
      free to contact me.

      Please be sure to make full use of our link listings in our Map Room
      and place up your own homepages or other fun and useful links. Feel
      free to examine all the past postings. Know that you are free to
      invite any of your circle or friendly companions that you feel would
      enjoy our happy little assembly.

      I thank thee one and all for your time, humbly yours,

      ~Lord Cygnus

      Moderator for Yahoo E-Groups - Renaissance Faires - Guilds, Troupes,
      and Fans of Renaissance Faires.

    • Gil
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
[...]

        Our spotlighted portrait for the month of September 2006 was submitted
        by Spotlight alumnus as well as a highly prolific posting member of
        RF2, Rev. Warflight the Wrong. Here are his own words about this
        photograph that he was so kind to bestow to us.

        "This is a picture of two rather famous people dressed as Barbarians
        (who wish to remain nameless, as faire in this garb is their fun time,
        and so far nobody from the media has staked out their homes yet...
        they are NEVER out of garb, or character while at faire... and they
        are the only folks stout enough to handle more than one shot of my
        homemade rum... or that $800 bottle of French Absinth... those
        bastards... Go Chargers... "

        June 2006 was the first time that we featured members of our group as
        an ensemble, and hopefully other troupes will want to be spotlight
        thusly. I think this will be yet another way for our members to
        feature themselves, their guilds, fair cast members and other
        organizations. If you need a little FREE "P.R." for your group, then
        I'd be happy to assist you in this way. If you would like to be
        featured thusly, either your artwork or your garbed self, or have
        another member that you would like to nominate for our spotlight (it

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
[...]

          Our spotlighted portrait for the month of November 2006 Olaf, is the
          Red A.K.A The Big Red Viking and his lovely wife. Here are his own
          words about their lives as playtrons, rennies and Vikings.

          "We've enjoyed CA ren faires for over 8 years and seeing dozens of
          friends each year. Even the small Folsom faire was delightful, as it's
          all about the good folks there. One day we plan to travel nationwide
          to see the most of the large faires, perhaps using a huge RV to
          celebrate our retirement (which is still many many moons away).We were
          married in ren faire garb and I hope everyone finds their soulmate."

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 13, 2006
            Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,

            Due to the holiday rush, I am running a behind. So let's get to it,
            shall we?

[...]

            Our spotlighted portrait for the month of December 2006 was submitted
            by Spotlight alumnus as well as a highly prolific posting member of
            RF2, Rev. Warflight the Wrong. Here are his own words about this
            photograph that he was so kind to bestow to us.

            "This is a picture of our Rabbi (we did a 15th century Rabbi, and have
            been told my a few folks that nobody has done this before. Josh Sirek
            (we call him Schrek) was studying to be an Orthadox Rabbi at one
            point, and so I did some research of Rabbis hiding with Gypsies during
            the Inquisition, up until the Elizabethan period, and put together
            this costuming originally for myself, but he was a natural for it,
            since he speaks fluant Hebrew, and can curse out a sailor in
            Yiddish... besides, I also have priest garb, and it's SO worth it to
            have the Rabbi, and the priest walk into the tavern...)"

            Since I always try to tie in something with our spotlighting and up
            until now I've done a Yule Tide or Christmas theme, during this month.
            This year I thought I might go with Chanukah, the Festival of Lights.
            Admittedly, I don't know much on this festival, but after doing a bit
            of research and adding that to what little I already know, I can tell
            you this much. Chanukkah is probably one of the best known Jewish
            holidays, not because of any great religious significance, but because
            of its proximity to Christmas. Many non-Jews think of this holiday as
            the Jewish Christmas, adopting many of the Christmas customs, such as
            elaborate gift-giving and decoration. It is bitterly ironic that this
            holiday, which has its roots in a revolution against assimilation and
            the suppression of Jewish religion, has become the most assimilated,
            secular holiday on the Jewish calendar. It is a celebration of the
            victory of the Maccabees and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple.
            It also commemorates the miracle of the oil that burned for 8 days.
            Every year between the end of November and the end of December, or,
            while very rare in occasion, early January Jewish people around the
            world celebrate the holiday of Chanukah, the Festival of Lights.
            Chanukah begins at sunset on the 25th day of the Hebrew month of
            Kislev and run until the 2nd of Tevet, but the starting date on the
            western calendar varies from year to year. The holiday celebrates the
            events which took place over 2,300 years ago in the land of Judea,
            which is now Israel.

            For more on this subject there are MANY sites, here is one of them:

            http://www.ou.org/chagim/chanukah/whatischanukah.htm

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 31 10:01 AM
[...]

              Our spotlighted portrait for the month of April 2007 is the
              mystically exquisite and entrancing creature known as "the
              Peacock Fairie" of the Texas Renaissance Festival one of the nation's
              largest, most acclaimed renaissance theme parks. Here are her own
              words about her life as a playtron, a rennie and a Fairie.

              "My true name is Allison, and I haven't yet been able to stick to a
              faire name for I am just referred to as the Peacock Fairie at my home
              faire, the Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville, TX. I have
              been going to that faire since I was 10 (I am 23) but only as this
              persona for 5 years now. I've not yet made it to any out of state
              faires, but have been to the Dallas faires Hawkwood and Scarborough
              many times, as well as the Faire near Austin, Excalibur. I try to
              change some part of my costume every year, including adding a second,
              white paire of wings two years ago. I love the renaissance faires --
              I love the chance to leave my normal 9-5 life and become some sort of
              crazy creature for a couple days."

[...]

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 31 10:37 AM
                > Our spotlighted portrait for the month of April 2007 is the
                > mystically exquisite and entrancing creature known as "the
                > Peacock Fairie" of the Texas Renaissance Festival one of the
                nation's
                > largest, most acclaimed renaissance theme parks. Here are her own
                > words about her life as a playtron, a rennie and a Fairie.
                >
                > "My true name is Allison.

                Nice! Very Eastern.

                Olde Richard