Spotlighted Portrait of the Month

  • Gil
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,

      We have so many new additions to our populace here and we
      are so pleased to have you all joining in our merry gathering. I
      would like to take this time to welcome you all! We have unique group
      with members from all across the country as well as internationally.
      Our group takes pride in having such a diverse, interesting,
      highly active and knowledgeable online community, so you can be
      almost certain that there are some club members who attend the
      Renaissance Faires in your own areas. My Lords and Ladies, please do
      your best to make our new members feel at home here among us!

      Our spotlight member fills the space on yonder blank parchment of our
      home scroll! Those who are of a mind to provide images for our
      honored spotlight, be they of yourself, your family, or
      your "furry", "feathered" or "scaled" children, feel free to
      dispatch an e-missive to my humble self. Also remember that our
      member for April, 2004, was our first spotlighted non-human
      character, but hopefully not the last. So if you are a fairy, a
      troll, an orc, an elf, or what have you, please feel free to contact
      me. September 2005, was our first Illustrated Spotlight Member, the
      first time that we have featured a member in this fashion, but
      hopefully it will open the door to an additional way in which member
      can be featured. I think this may be a new way for our members to
      express themselves within the group, especially those who
      have artistic talent but may not be comfortable with appearing in
      person in our spotlight...

      LordCygnusX@...

      Our spotlighted portrait of the month for December 2005 is the noble
      Lord Michael McDane Harris A.K.A of Rengeek San Antonio Texas.

      Besides chasing Wenches at Renaissance Faires he is also an on air
      talent on Renradio.

      He has many links you can visit and view:

      otters.sachaos.com

      renradio.com

      rengeek.org

      www.livejournal.com/users/rengeek

      If you would like to be featured thusly, either your artwork or your
      garbed self, (it matters not how long you may have been a member)
      feel free to contact me.

      Please be sure to make full use of our link listings in our Map Room
      and place up your own homepages or other fun and useful links. Feel
      free to examine all the past postings. Know that you are free to
      invite any of your circle or friendly companions that you feel would
      enjoy our happy little assembly.

      I thank thee one and all for your time, humbly yours,

      ~Lord Cygnus

      Moderator for Yahoo E-Groups - Renaissance Faires - Guilds, Troupes,
      and Fans of Renaissance Faires.

    • Gil
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 8, 2006
        Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,

        Sorry to be running about a week and a half behind. I didn't have
        anyone to post up last month and I only recently had a member to
        spotlight this month. We have so many new additions to our populace
[...]

        Our spotlighted portrait of the month for February 2006, is our St.
        Valentine's Day Queen of Hearts, that gypsy wench with the name you
        can not pronounce, Mistress Ailuja Lenru (Who in real life is known as
        Catherine Barson) whose home faire is the Fairburn Georgia
        Renaissance Festival.

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2, 2006
[...]

          Our spotlighted portrait of the month for March 2006 is the lovely
          Lady Magpye who some of you might also know as Mistress Elizabeth
          Fetch, (at VARF) or Lady Margaret Pye - Magpie (at MDRF). She is a
          member of Her Majesty's Hounds, she is the Light Heeled Groat Trug in
          The Order of the Rose, member ID# 2947 of the IWG - Local 42, and the
          Official Keeper of the Cider. Renaissance Faire activities include
          North Carolina Renaissance Festival, Scarborough, Fells Point Pyrate
          Invasion, VARF, Polly Dodger Keel-Hauling, Sterling, Celtic Festival
          and PARF, and MDRF. Also she is a brand new member of RF2!!

          Here is a link to her homepage:

          http://www.ibangi.com

          Message 4 of 27 , May 8, 2006
            Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,

            Sorry to be running about a week and a half behind. I didn't have
            anyone to post up last month and I only recently had a member to
            spotlight this month. Remember if you are interested in being our
            spotlight or would like to suggest another member that you feel should
            have that honor, please write to me in a personal e-missive. We have
[...]

            Our spotlighted portrait of the month for May 2006 is the photographer
            Lord Ken Leonard. Instead of an image of our spotlighted member, this
            is the first time that we are using an example of the member's work. I
            feel that this will open a new avenue of expression to enable our
            members to express themselves creatively. Here are his own words about
            his life as photographer, playtron and rennie, among many other things.

            "I am quite honored to say the least. ..

            "I am a retired Computer Engineer living in Belmont Shore (Long Beach)
            SoCal. I guess you could say my "home Faire" is the Renaissance
            Pleasure Faire (South) now held at Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area in
            Irwindale, CA. In my retirement (and actually before) I am very much
            into photography trying to hone my skills and (hopefully) getting
            better as time goes by. I do not dress up for the faire's nor do I
            belong to any group. My main interests are enjoying the faire's and
            later reliving the day via my photos. I love to share these photos
            with all enthusiasts near and far. Unfortunately this year I was
            unable to get any great photos of the Joust as there is a large metal
            fence around the arena and the "guard's" will not let you get close
            (to shoot through the fence). I have been attending the Pleasure Faire
            (South) since the days it was held in Agura. Believe I have shot the
            faire for the past 4 years or so. So to sum things up, I am just a
            photographer who very much enjoy's these faire's and tries to capture
            the felling of the fair through my photographyÂ…"

            Ken Leonard
            Belmont Shore, SoCal
            e-mail: xl1ken@...

            Here is a link to his homepage:

            http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/root

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
[...]

              Our spotlighted portrait of the month for June 2006 is of the
              villagers of Colville, the community of the brand new Kentucky
              Highland Renaissance Festival in Eminence, KY! The faire opens on June
              3rd and runs each weekend until July 9th.

              From most information about the Kentucky Highland Renaissance Festival:
              http://www.kyrenfaire.com

              Pictured are:

              Back Row L-R: Angus Calquhoun, a hunter; Phillip McGuinness, the Towne
              drunkard; Captain Amos Muirhead, Pirate Captain of the Dragon's Fury;
              Sir Robert the Bruce, Earl of Carrick, Guardian of Scotland; Zerek
              Zarovich, a traveling gypsy magician; Dugan Buryman, the Village grave
              digger

              Front Row L-R: Mistress Larena of Colville, Lady Lucia's younger
              sister; Widow Molly McGuinness, the Village tavern owner; Cowley
              McFie, the Towne herald; Lady Lucia of Colville, a visiting
              noblewoman; Abigail Tailor, the Towne seamstress; Emma MacPhail, the
              Towne cook; Nynia Zarovich, a traveling gypsy woman; Piper Vermin, the
              Village rat catcher & pirate

              This is the first time that we have featured members of our group in
              this fashion as an ensemble, but hopefully other troupes will want to
              be spotlight thusly. I think this may be yet another way for our
              members to feature themselves, their guilds, fair cast members and
              other organizations. If you need a little FREE "P.R." for your group,
              then I'd be happy to assist you in this way.

              If you would like to be featured thusly, either your artwork or your
              garbed self, (it matters not how long you may have been a member) feel
              free to contact me.

              Please be sure to make full use of our link listings in our Map Room
              and place up your own homepages or other fun and useful links. Feel
              free to examine all the past postings. Know that you are free to
              invite any of your circle or friendly companions that you feel would
              enjoy our happy little assembly.

              I thank thee one and all for your time, humbly yours,

              ~Lord Cygnus

              Moderator for Yahoo E-Groups - Renaissance Faires - Guilds, Troupes,
              and Fans of Renaissance Faires.

            • Chuck Spitler
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                Best wishes to all our fellow festival/fair/faire participants across the country from Baron Heinrich von Lauffer and the Koroneburg Family of the Koroneburg Old World European Renaissance Festival. (Please check us out at www.renaissanceinfo.com )

                OOOOOOOOOOOMPHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

                Gil <LordCygnusX@...> wrote:
[...]

                From most information about the Kentucky Highland Renaissance Festival:
[...]

                Medieval costume Medieval knights

              • Lucy
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Thanks! The Village name is Briarwood. :D

                  Lucy

                  --- In RenaissanceFaires2@yahoogroups.com, "Gil" <LordCygnusX@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,
                  >
                  > We have so many new additions to our populace here and we
                  > are so pleased to have you all joining in our merry gathering. I
                  > would like to take this time to welcome you all! We have unique
                  group
                  > with members from all across the country as well as
                  internationally.
                  > Our group takes pride in having such a diverse, interesting,
                  > highly active and knowledgeable online community, so you can be
                  > almost certain that there are some club members who attend the
                  > Renaissance Faires in your own areas. My Lords and Ladies, please
                  do
                  > your best to make our new members feel at home here among us!
                  >
                  > Our spotlight member fills the space on yonder blank parchment of
                  our
                  > home scroll! Those who are of a mind to provide images for our
                  > honored spotlight, be they of yourself, your family, or
                  > your "furry", "feathered" or "scaled" children, feel free to
                  > dispatch an e-missive to my humble self. Also remember that our
                  > member for April, 2004, was our first spotlighted non-human
                  > character, but hopefully not the last. So if you are a fairy, a
                  > troll, an orc, an elf, or what have you, please feel free to
                  contact
                  > me...
                  >
                  > LordCygnusX@...
                  >
                  > Our spotlighted portrait of the month for June 2006 is of the
                  > villagers of Colville, the community of the brand new Kentucky
                  > Highland Renaissance Festival in Eminence, KY! The faire opens on
                  June
                  > 3rd and runs each weekend until July 9th.
                  >

                  > From most information about the Kentucky Highland Renaissance
                  Festival:

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                    --- In RenaissanceFaires2@yahoogroups.com, "Lucy" <LucyBuckles@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks! The Village name is Briarwood. :D
                    >
                    > Lucy

                    Oh,... sorry about that. :-|
                  • jd@clanscot.org
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                      ahoy thar
                      Come one come all,
                      on Saturday July 15th many groups and guilds will be sailing
                      to the Irvine Spectrum in Cali to raid & watch the movie together
                      in our garb. Everyone is welcome to come. In 2003 there were
                      about 400 or more pirates who gathered. We met last time
                      around 11ish and hit the theatre around 3 or 4.
                      AAARRR ! ! !

                    • Gil
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 1, 2006
[...]

                        Illustrated Spotlight Member and May 2006 was the first time that we
                        are using an example of the member's work as a photographer. Which
                        were both the first time that we have featured a member in either
                        fashion, but hopefully they will open the doors to an additional ways
                        in which member can be featured. I think these may both be a new ways
                        for our members to express themselves within the group, especially
                        those who have artistic talent but may not be comfortable with
                        appearing in person in our spotlight...

                        LordCygnusX@...

                        Our spotlighted portrait of the month for July 2006 is Master Artisan
                        Lord Andrew MacGregor (A.K.A. Charles Knutson), of MacGregor Historic
                        Games / Rose & Pentagram Design Purveyors of historic pastimes to
                        re-enactors around the world! Here are his own words about
                        his life as a carpenter, craftsman, playtron and rennie, among many
                        other things.

                        "Our home fair is MNRF where we started out as street characters
                        (Andrew & Ellesh MacGregor) in 1989 with a Scottish historical
                        reenactment group. My wife, Beth didn't know a craft to demonstrate to
                        portray women's roles, so she often got stuck cooking. But, she did
                        play Backgammon, and eventually used her love of the game to create a
                        niche for herself in our group teaching the public about the history
                        of games.

                        Over several years, so many people asked if the games were for sale
                        anywhere, that we designed our own boards featuring my Celtic
                        knotwork, and began selling them as MacGregor Historic Games (
                        http://historicgames.com ) at various Renfairs and historical
                        reenactments. We've been in business teaching and selling period games
                        since 1995. We try to keep an educational asspect to what we do, and
                        so along with demonstrating the games, I also demonatrate a small wood
                        lathe that I built myself based on my research (
                        http://historicgames.com/lathes/lindex.html ) on which I make small
                        toys and game pegs and other small objects turned from wood and bone."

                        From more information about MacGregor Historic Games:
                        http://historicgames.com

                        June 2006 was the first time that we have featured members of our
                        group as an ensemble, but hopefully other troupes will want to

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
[...]

                          Our spotlighted portrait for the month of September 2006 was submitted
                          by Spotlight alumnus as well as a highly prolific posting member of
                          RF2, Rev. Warflight the Wrong. Here are his own words about this
                          photograph that he was so kind to bestow to us.

                          "This is a picture of two rather famous people dressed as Barbarians
                          (who wish to remain nameless, as faire in this garb is their fun time,
                          and so far nobody from the media has staked out their homes yet...
                          they are NEVER out of garb, or character while at faire... and they
                          are the only folks stout enough to handle more than one shot of my
                          homemade rum... or that $800 bottle of French Absinth... those
                          bastards... Go Chargers... "

                          June 2006 was the first time that we featured members of our group as
                          an ensemble, and hopefully other troupes will want to be spotlight
                          thusly. I think this will be yet another way for our members to
                          feature themselves, their guilds, fair cast members and other
                          organizations. If you need a little FREE "P.R." for your group, then
                          I'd be happy to assist you in this way. If you would like to be
                          featured thusly, either your artwork or your garbed self, or have
                          another member that you would like to nominate for our spotlight (it

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 8, 2006
[...]

                            Our spotlighted portrait for the month of November 2006 Olaf, is the
                            Red A.K.A The Big Red Viking and his lovely wife. Here are his own
                            words about their lives as playtrons, rennies and Vikings.

                            "We've enjoyed CA ren faires for over 8 years and seeing dozens of
                            friends each year. Even the small Folsom faire was delightful, as it's
                            all about the good folks there. One day we plan to travel nationwide
                            to see the most of the large faires, perhaps using a huge RV to
                            celebrate our retirement (which is still many many moons away).We were
                            married in ren faire garb and I hope everyone finds their soulmate."

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 13, 2006
                              Hail and Welmet, Good Gentles All,

                              Due to the holiday rush, I am running a behind. So let's get to it,
                              shall we?

[...]

                              Our spotlighted portrait for the month of December 2006 was submitted
                              by Spotlight alumnus as well as a highly prolific posting member of
                              RF2, Rev. Warflight the Wrong. Here are his own words about this
                              photograph that he was so kind to bestow to us.

                              "This is a picture of our Rabbi (we did a 15th century Rabbi, and have
                              been told my a few folks that nobody has done this before. Josh Sirek
                              (we call him Schrek) was studying to be an Orthadox Rabbi at one
                              point, and so I did some research of Rabbis hiding with Gypsies during
                              the Inquisition, up until the Elizabethan period, and put together
                              this costuming originally for myself, but he was a natural for it,
                              since he speaks fluant Hebrew, and can curse out a sailor in
                              Yiddish... besides, I also have priest garb, and it's SO worth it to
                              have the Rabbi, and the priest walk into the tavern...)"

                              Since I always try to tie in something with our spotlighting and up
                              until now I've done a Yule Tide or Christmas theme, during this month.
                              This year I thought I might go with Chanukah, the Festival of Lights.
                              Admittedly, I don't know much on this festival, but after doing a bit
                              of research and adding that to what little I already know, I can tell
                              you this much. Chanukkah is probably one of the best known Jewish
                              holidays, not because of any great religious significance, but because
                              of its proximity to Christmas. Many non-Jews think of this holiday as
                              the Jewish Christmas, adopting many of the Christmas customs, such as
                              elaborate gift-giving and decoration. It is bitterly ironic that this
                              holiday, which has its roots in a revolution against assimilation and
                              the suppression of Jewish religion, has become the most assimilated,
                              secular holiday on the Jewish calendar. It is a celebration of the
                              victory of the Maccabees and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple.
                              It also commemorates the miracle of the oil that burned for 8 days.
                              Every year between the end of November and the end of December, or,
                              while very rare in occasion, early January Jewish people around the
                              world celebrate the holiday of Chanukah, the Festival of Lights.
                              Chanukah begins at sunset on the 25th day of the Hebrew month of
                              Kislev and run until the 2nd of Tevet, but the starting date on the
                              western calendar varies from year to year. The holiday celebrates the
                              events which took place over 2,300 years ago in the land of Judea,
                              which is now Israel.

                              For more on this subject there are MANY sites, here is one of them:

                              http://www.ou.org/chagim/chanukah/whatischanukah.htm

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
[...]

                                Our spotlighted portrait for the month of April 2007 is the
                                mystically exquisite and entrancing creature known as "the
                                Peacock Fairie" of the Texas Renaissance Festival one of the nation's
                                largest, most acclaimed renaissance theme parks. Here are her own
                                words about her life as a playtron, a rennie and a Fairie.

                                "My true name is Allison, and I haven't yet been able to stick to a
                                faire name for I am just referred to as the Peacock Fairie at my home
                                faire, the Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville, TX. I have
                                been going to that faire since I was 10 (I am 23) but only as this
                                persona for 5 years now. I've not yet made it to any out of state
                                faires, but have been to the Dallas faires Hawkwood and Scarborough
                                many times, as well as the Faire near Austin, Excalibur. I try to
                                change some part of my costume every year, including adding a second,
                                white paire of wings two years ago. I love the renaissance faires --
                                I love the chance to leave my normal 9-5 life and become some sort of
                                crazy creature for a couple days."

[...]

                              • Richard
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                                  > Our spotlighted portrait for the month of April 2007 is the
                                  > mystically exquisite and entrancing creature known as "the
                                  > Peacock Fairie" of the Texas Renaissance Festival one of the
                                  nation's
                                  > largest, most acclaimed renaissance theme parks. Here are her own
                                  > words about her life as a playtron, a rennie and a Fairie.
                                  >
                                  > "My true name is Allison.

                                  Nice! Very Eastern.

                                  Olde Richard