Re: [Remembering_The_Kanji] Re: SRS for ipod touch

  • Rick Matz
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 11 5:15 PM
      I would that once you get a good working set of kanji (~500 or so), it would be useful to try  and start reading magazines, newspapers, etc. That's why I'm interested in the Hiragana Times.

      Best Regards,

      Rick
      http://CookDingsKitchen.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 12 8:32 AM
          > it really feels like a language you learn in layers: kanji --> word
          > --> sentence
          >
          > good luck!
          I agree. I'm in the 'word' phase and starting into the 'sentence'
          phase. The only thing I'd add is learn Hiragana/Katakana. Try to avoid
          Romaji.
        • Rick Matz
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 12 4:31 PM
            But you see my point, don't you?

            doing RTK though the first 500 kanji won't take you very far :)

            On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Rick Matz <rickmatz@...> wrote:

            I would that once you get a good working set of kanji (~500 or so), it would be useful to try  and start reading magazines, newspapers, etc. That's why I'm interested in the Hiragana Times.

            Best Regards,

            Rick
            http://CookDingsKitchen.blogspot.com

          • Bernat Agullo Rosello
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 12 4:45 PM
              Of course ;)

              start reading (and SRSing words or sentences) as soon as you can and leave the RTK behind:
              it's just a game-starter

              because of the nature of RTK you need to do it all the way to the end --- just don't stay there making sure you STILL know all of them

              good luck!

              On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Rick Matz <rickmatz@...> wrote:

              But you see my point, don't you?

            • Dr. Curt 'Mex' Nicol D.D. Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 13 6:25 AM
                Hi

                > but this would require a jailbroken phone; my phone is too new, so no jailbreak available yet:-(

                This is one of the (many) problems I have with the iPhone, the first
                thing you need to do with your new phone is break it so you can use it
                the way you want to LOL

                ~Mex
              • ma3xiu1
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 14 12:55 AM
                  --- In Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Curt 'Mex' Nicol D.D. Ph.D." <the-war-room@...> wrote:

                  > This is one of the (many) problems I have with the iPhone, the first
                  > thing you need to do with your new phone is break it so you can use it
                  > the way you want to LOL

                  Yes, I agree, it is not ideal, but then life is full of compromises. The important thing is not to let these little disappointments distract you from the big picture, which is TO FINISH RTK!! Only 340 to go!

                  Then I can finally start to learn 日本語。。。
                • Michael Andreacchio
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 14 1:31 AM

                    Read the link above, it may be possible without jailbreaking if u don't want to do that.

                    On 14/04/2010, at 17:55, "ma3xiu1" <ma3xiu1@...> wrote:

                    --- In Remembering_ The_Kanji@ yahoogroups. com, "Dr. Curt 'Mex' Nicol D.D. Ph.D." <the-war-room@ ...> wrote:

                    > This is one of the (many) problems I have with the iPhone, the first
                    > thing you need to do with your new phone is break it so you can use it
                    > the way you want to LOL

                    Yes, I agree, it is not ideal, but then life is full of compromises. The important thing is not to let these little disappointments distract you from the big picture, which is TO FINISH RTK!! Only 340 to go!

                    Then I can finally start to learn &#26085;&#26412; &#35486;& #12290;&# 12290;&#12290;

                  • ma3xiu1
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 14 2:05 AM
                      --- In Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com, Michael Andreacchio <andy82@...> wrote:

                      > http://ichi2.net/anki/#iphone
                      >
                      > Read the link above, it may be possible without jailbreaking if u
                      > don't want to do that.

                      It's not that I don't want to jailbreak, it's that I can't, as iPhones running the new firmware can't be jailbroken (yet).

                      Thanks for the link above. Using that info, I have been running iAnki on my iPhone for a few weeks now, and it works very nicely even without jailbreak. The only downside is that I can't use the KanjiStrokeOrder font with iAnki, but this doesn't matter too much as I'm nearly finished RTK anyway.

                      Once I start SRS-ing sentences, it will be more interesting to see if iAnki can handle furigana. If not, or if the furigana is too small to read, I'll need to investigate other workarounds or solutions.

                      -Matt
                    • Dr. Curt 'Mex' Nicol D.D. Ph.D.
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 14 4:16 AM
                        Hi

                        > http://ichi2.net/anki/#iphone
                        >
                        > Read the link above, it may be possible without jailbreaking if u
                        > don't want to do that.

                        I've got a nice new HTC Desire turning up in a couple of days, so I'm
                        fine. But I'm sure the link will be of use to any iPhoners out there.

                        ~Mex
                      • Sparks, Chris - BLS
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 14 5:20 AM

                          iAnki handles furigana fine.  Just use Anki’s Japanese reading plugin and it will add the furigana automatically, or you can add your own in square braces.  Either one displays fine in iAnki.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 21 12:02 AM
                            --- In Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com, "Sparks, Chris - BLS" <sparks.chris@...> wrote:

                            > iAnki handles furigana fine. Just use Anki's Japanese reading plugin
                            > and it will add the furigana automatically, or you can add your own in
                            > square braces. Either one displays fine in iAnki.

                            I just tried it - it works really well! First though I need to finish RTK1 - only 250 left to go now. Once I've covered all the kanji, I expect my review time should gradually go down, and I will have time to start entering sentences into Anki.
                            /Matt
                          • Michael Andy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 22 5:21 AM
                              ...i'm sure you guys would be able to just use the web interface anyway if you can't jail break or don't have an iPhone.

                              about iPhones with new firmware you're right, kinda... I did mine straight away and not it's ok but i can't upgrade. If you downgraded the OS then used pwnage tool (not blackrain) you'd have a chance. Anyway waiting until OS4 might be the best thing, i'm sure the devs are waiting for that anyway

                              --
                              Michael Andreacchio
                            • ss samurai
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 18, 2010
                                Hi there, I have just recently installed Anki onto two of my computers, and I have now just purchased an iPhone 4. I'm wondering, how easy is it to sync between the two computers, and then, how easy is it to sync between the three? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

                                Thanks,

                                Simon

                                samoansamurai

                                check out my website www.samoansamurai.com

                                Anata no gosenzo sama ni kao o awase rare masuka!

                                (Prepare to meet your ashamed ancestors! )

                                To: Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com
                                From: ma3xiu1@...
                                Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:51:02 +0000

                                --- In Remembering_ The_Kanji@ yahoogroups. com, ss samurai <samoansamurai@ ...> wrote:
                                > But, I'm feeling motivated by what you've said, so, I'm thinking that I should go for it, I might start at 1000. And go from there. I've also been using www.smart.fm, I think that it's really good, but it doesn't work on my itouch when I'm not connected, I tried to find iAnki, but couldn't find it.

                                iAnki is not a regular iPhone app, so you won't find it in the iTunes store. It is a clever hack that uses Safari to provide the user with an offline flash card system. It is a little tricky to set up, but if done correctly then it looks to all intents and purposes just like any other native app. Setup info is available on the Anki wiki site:

                                http://ichi2. net/anki/ wiki/iAnki

                                Because Anki/iAnki is working quite well for me. I haven't investigated any other possibilities like smart.fm. Maybe once I finish RTK, I might take a look at some of the other offerings before moving into the vocab/sentence learning phase.

                                Anyway, sorry about the blank messgage before. Although iPhone is great for studying Japanese, it seems to be not so good at sending email (ok, I seem to have some setup issue there). I'll have to look into it after I have finished reviewing today's Kanji ;-).

                                -Matt.

                              • Matt
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 18, 2010
                                  These days, there is now an iPhone app for Anki in the Apple App store. This app costs a little more than what you normally pay for apps, but int opinion is worth every cent.

                                  Syncing is fairly simple. Anki on your desktops and iPhone all sync up to a common server on the internet. The only thing you need to be careful of is make sure you sync everything before you switch to using another device, otherwise you can end up with conflicts. But in practice this is no big deal.

                                  You can use iAnki on your iPhone if you want, but it is much more limited and difficult to use compared to the App store Anki. I used iAnki for some time before the official app became available, and it served me well, but the official app has much better features and is so much easier to use.

                                  --- In Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com, ss samurai <samoansamurai@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi there, I have just recently installed Anki onto two of my computers, and I have now just purchased an iPhone 4. I'm wondering, how easy is it to sync between the two computers, and then, how easy is it to sync between the three? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!
                                  >

                                  > Thanks,
                                  >

                                  > Simon
                                  >
                                  > samoansamurai
                                  >
                                  > check out my website www.samoansamurai.com

                                  > Anata no gosenzo sama ni kao o awase rare masuka!
                                  >
                                  > (Prepare to meet your ashamed ancestors! )
                                  >

                                  > To: Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: ma3xiu1@...
                                  > Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:51:02 +0000
                                  > Subject: [Remembering_The_Kanji] Re: SRS for ipod touch
                                  >

                                  > --- In Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com, ss samurai <samoansamurai@> wrote:
                                  > > But, I'm feeling motivated by what you've said, so, I'm thinking that I should go for it, I might start at 1000. And go from there. I've also been using www.smart.fm, I think that it's really good, but it doesn't work on my itouch when I'm not connected, I tried to find iAnki, but couldn't find it.
                                  >
                                  > iAnki is not a regular iPhone app, so you won't find it in the iTunes store. It is a clever hack that uses Safari to provide the user with an offline flash card system. It is a little tricky to set up, but if done correctly then it looks to all intents and purposes just like any other native app. Setup info is available on the Anki wiki site:
                                  >
                                  > http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/iAnki
                                  >
                                  > Because Anki/iAnki is working quite well for me. I haven't investigated any other possibilities like smart.fm. Maybe once I finish RTK, I might take a look at some of the other offerings before moving into the vocab/sentence learning phase.
                                  >
                                  > Anyway, sorry about the blank messgage before. Although iPhone is great for studying Japanese, it seems to be not so good at sending email (ok, I seem to have some setup issue there). I'll have to look into it after I have finished reviewing today's Kanji ;-).
                                  >
                                  > -Matt.

                                • Sparks, Chris - BLS
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 19, 2010

                                    I run Anki on three different PCs at home and have purchased the official Anki App, which is now available in the App Store.  In addition, I sometimes access Anki via the web.  Syncing with several decks among all of these has always worked flawlessly for me.  Syncing is just a matter of opening up the decks on your PC or pressing the Sync button on the iPhone app.  Couldn’t be easier.

                                    The Anki iPhone app is more expensive than most apps, but it is definitely worth it.   It allows you to do reviews anywhere.  I’m pretty stingy: I’ve had an iPhone for 2 years and have only paid for 2 apps in that time; one of them is Anki.  It’s a great app.

                                    I used iAnki for more than a year, and it was quite challenging to keep working; and it was limited in terms of number of decks, what you could do with it, etc.  Plus, there were several times when Apple would change something or upgrade the OS and it would break iAnki.

                                    From: ma3xiu1@...
                                    Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:51:02 +0000

                                      From: sparks.chris@...
                                      Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:42:56 -0400