Re: [Remembering_The_Kanji] Oak - Diana the Huntress

  • Craig Welch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2005
      wazzabuffet wrote:

      >Does anyone know the story behind this? I did a quick google search
      >and came up lots of links relating to who she was etc. but nothing
      >specifically about the alleged story.

      "The Golden Bough" is a book by Sir James Frazer. In it, he describes
      the worship of the oak. Diana is not named in this context (oak) as 'The
      Huntress', but alluded to. She was known as "Diana Nemorensis", and was
      worshipped at the sacred grove and lake of Nemi in Aricia.

      If the fable has no resonance with the reader, Heisig's use of it
      doesn't do much to remember the kanji. On the other hand, chasing up his
      various latin and mythology references is very illuminating!

      I remember the character because I have a dining table made of oak ...
      and it's quite white.
    • wazzabuffet
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2005
        Hey Craig, thanks for the response. Further googling with your hints
        yielded a html version of "The Golden Bough"

        http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/

        Yes, while chasing up unfamiliar references can be rewarding, learning
        Kanji is challenging enough as it is. What I've done in those
        instances is substituted my own stories in their place.

        But, I might later for fun...

        --- In Remembering_The_Kanji@yahoogroups.com, Craig Welch <yahoo@c...>