* * * Evidence that type 2 diabetes NOT best treated w/insulin

  • C.Marley
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
      New research has shown that Alzheimer's disease may be the
      result of insulin resistance of neuron synapses in the brain.

      High levels of insulin accelerates Alzheimer's. So in
      insulin resistant patients, flooding their bodies with
      additional insulin may be contributing to the development
      of Alzheimer's.

      The answer may be drugs that lower insulin resistance (like
      Metformin and Pioglitizone) combined with weight loss (fat
      increases insulin resistance).

      Every day there is more and more evidence that hyper-
      insulinemic type 2 diabetes is NOT best treated with
      more insulin.

      C. Marley, M.D.

      Ellis: {Hello Dr. Marley. I never said that anybody should
      FLOOD their body with insulin. I, and everybody, should use
      THE RIGHT DOSE of insulin, AT THE RIGHT TIME, in order to
      keep blood glucose near 85 or to bring it down as fast
      as possible if it is higher than 100, so that it doesn't
      cause sugar-damage...

      Insulin resistance is caused by previously high blood
      glucose levels, which caused the pancreas to release high
      levels of insulin, which overstimulated the insulin receptors
      of cells. The brain happens to be nervous tissue, and
      nervous tissue is one of the ones that is most damaged by
      high blood glucose... so it is very possible that high blood
      glucose would also cause high insulin resistance.

      That does not mean that the RIGHT DOSE at the RIGHT TIME
      causes Alzheimer's... that means that THE LACK OF THE
      RIGHT DOSE AT THE RIGHT TIME ultimately causes Alzheimer's
      because it causes the brain cells to become insulin
      resistant...

      And lowering insulin resistance and causing the pancreas
      to burn out beta cells because you turn it ON when you
      could have let it REST by injecting insulin, is not a
      very good idea, either. You have said before that you
      don't agree that beta cells "burn out"... but Dr. Bernstein
      believes that beta cell burn out when they are forced to
      work when they could have been resting... and I agree
      with Dr. Bernstein.

      Thanks for writing... - Ellis}
    • C.Marley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        C.Marley wrote:

        >Ellis: {Hello Dr. Marley. I never said that anybody should
        >FLOOD their body with insulin. I, and everybody, should use
        >THE RIGHT DOSE of insulin, AT THE RIGHT TIME, in order to
        >keep blood glucose near 85 or to bring it down as fast
        >as possible if it is higher than 100, so that it doesn't
        >cause sugar-damage...

        Dr. Marley: You are missing the point. People with insulin
        resistant diabetes are ALREADY flooding their bodies with insulin.
        Adding more insulin only adds insult to injury.

        Ellis: {I am not missing the point. "According to Ellis" people
        who are insulin resistant also respond to injected insulin...
        I have seen it, with persons who are very insulin resistant,
        and inject a small dose of Humalog... maybe they don't respond
        as much as people who are not insulin resistant... but they
        respond...

        The insulin floating about in their body is perhaps damaged
        or dirty... or who knows what is wrong with it... but it
        doesn't work to lower their blood glucose...

        But when these persons inject insulin, it DOES bring their
        blood glucose down. I have seen it. I don't believe the
        doctors or the books: I believe the glucose meter. Their
        blood glucose goes down, in spite of what doctors or books
        might say. Try it and see.

        And the important point is that they have to lower their
        blood glucose and not allow it to get high at all, or else
        their pancreas stays on the OPEN FAUCET position because
        blood glucose is high... so the pancreas tries to bring
        down blood glucose and eventually burns out more and more
        beta cells...

        Besides, they should use metformin which lowers insulin
        resistance, AND ALSO use injected insulin to lower
        blood glucose.

        - Ellis}

        Dr. Marley: So called "sugar damage" is not the problem it
        was once thought to be.

        Ellis: {So then please tell us what is the real problem...

        HbA1c is a measure of how much glucose is sticking to the
        hemoglobin in red blood cells. It gives us an idea of
        what the average blood glucose was in the previous 2 or
        3 months...

        But it also gives us an idea of how much blood glucose is
        sticking to OTHER tissues of the body, ie, the higher the
        HbA1c, the more glucose is probably sticking to NERVES and
        KIDNEYS, and EYES, and CIRCULATORY SYSTEM.

        We KNOW that persons with high blood glucose have more
        damage to the NERVOUS SYSTEM and the KIDNEYS and EYES...
        and they have more HEART ATTACKS and STROKE, and they
        also have less chance of survival if they have CANCER...

        SO if "sugar damage" is NOT the problem it was once thought
        to be, then I would like to know why persons with HIGH
        HB-A1c have more neuropathy, and more kidney problems,
        and more eye problems, and more heart attacks and strokes,
        than persons with HB-A1c much lower.

        Perhaps it is just COINCIDENCE that high blood glucose
        is associated with more neuropathy, more Alzheimer's,
        more heart attack, more cancer, more kidney disease, etc.?

        The F.D.A. is studying restricting the use of... SALT...

        That's right. It has not occurred to the FDA to restrict
        the use of SUGAR in food made and sold to the public.

        They also think that SUGAR DAMAGE is not the problem it
        was once thought to be. - Ellis}

        Insulin itself seems to be the problem in hyperinsulinemic
        Type 2 diabetes.

        Despite the evident faith you have in him, Dr. Bernstein is
        not the last word in Diabetes research!

        {No, he is not the LAST WORD in diabetes research...

        He is THE FIRST WORD in diabetes research...

        He was the FIRST to say that a HIGH CARBOHYDRATE DIET is
        NOT the CORRECT DIET for diabetics...

        He was the FIRST to say that diabetics can control blood
        glucose.

        He was the FIRST to say that diabetics should keep their
        blood glucose at the same levels as NON-DIABETICS... that
        means about 83 mg/dl all day, before and during and after
        eating...

        He is also probably the FIRST diabetic type I to live 60
        years with diabetes type I, which is no small feat considering
        that the first 35 years of his diabetes he had to SUFFER
        THROUGH the BAD ADVICE of the doctors of the American
        Diabetes Association...

        The next 35 years he had to FIGHT THE BAD ADVICE of the
        American Diabetes Association (A.D.A.) at every turn he made...

        The A.D.A. OPPOSED that diabetics should BE ALLOWED TO OWN
        BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS...

        The A.D.A. continues to say that even if diabetics type II
        are allowed to BUY a blood glucose meter, they don't really
        need to USE THEM, since they can get by without any problem
        if they measure their blood glucose ONCE every month (before
        they visit their doctor, of course) and that ONCE is BEFORE
        EATING BREAKFAST, which is not very clever...

        And the A.D.A. says it is not necessary for diabetics II
        to measure glucose before and after every meal. A

        And the A.D.A. says that an HbA1c of 7.0 (blood glucose about 170 mg/dl) is acceptable. Etc, etc. etc.

        So... First word in diabetes research is good enough for me.
        - Ellis]

        And it is definitely NOT a good idea for people with normal
        glucose metabolism to be injecting themselves with insulin!

        C. Marley, M.D.

        {Why not? What is wrong with keeping our blood glucose
        controlled BEFORE we become diabetics?

        I am not a diabetic and I have normal glucose metabolism
        so you are directing your criticism to me... So I would
        like to know WHY SHOULD I NOT BE INJECTING MYSELF with
        insulin... ?

        If you tell me that I might get a terrible hypoglycemia...
        I answer that I have never gotten hypoglycemia in 7 years,
        after 14,000 doses of insulin.

        If you tell me that I might get brain damage...
        I answer that I don't think I have gotten brain damage
        yet.

        If you tell me that my pancreas will stop producing insulin...
        I answer that my pancreas is producing insulin better than
        ever... I know this because if I don't inject insulin and I
        do drink a large glass of orange juice, my blood glucose goes
        UP 10 160 in 35 minutes, and then it goes down to below 120
        (and later, down below 100) in 70 minutes.

        If you tell me that I will become insulin resistant....
        I answer that my blood insulin measured before breakfast
        after one day of not injecting insulin is off the charts,
        below 3, which is "like an athlete" and I am not an athlete.
        3 means I am not insulin resistant, and less than three also
        means I am not insulin resistant... and 25 is the end of the
        chart that means somebody is insulin resistant, so I am at
        the extreme opposite end of the chart. So after 14,000
        shots of insulin, I am not insulin resistant.

        If you tell me that I will get diabetes...
        I answer that that is precisely why I take insulin, so that
        I will get diabetes many years later than I should have
        become diabetic, which will be about age 60 to 65, which is
        right about NOW... I definitely am NOT a diabetic yet, after
        14,000 shots of insulin.

        If you tell me that I will cause insulin resistance...
        I answer that I have taken 14,000 doses of insulin in the
        last 7 years, and I have not become insulin resistant.

        So... please give me some other reasons why I should not use
        insulin, since I am not a diabetic.

        Diabetics should use INSULIN, "according to Ellis". If they
        use METFORMIN and NOT insulin, then they might get lower
        blood glucose in the morning... but THIS IS NOT THE MEASURE
        THAT THEY ARE BEATING THEIR DIABETES... they also have to
        have blood glucose controlled AFTER breakfast, lunch, and
        dinner...

        And in any case, EVEN IF their blood glucose is controlled,
        their diabetes is advancing. They are avoiding the SIDE
        EFFECTS caused by diabetes, and this is a good thing, but
        IT COULD BE BETTER... and it is still very serious...

        Their diabetes is ADVANCING because their pancreas is still
        producing insulin which is wearing it out... so maybe 5 or
        10 or 20 or 30 years later but surely they will be diabetics
        type 1... and then they are in much greater trouble than if
        they could have kept their diabetes as diabetes type 2...

        They could have avoided this if they had used INSULIN and
        taken the burden of producing insulin off of their pancreas...

        I am not a doctor, so don't listen to me. But Dr. Bernstein
        is a doctor, and he says the same thing.

        Thanks for writing.

        - Ellis}
      • lippmanr001@hawaii.rr.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
          Dear Ellis:

          Thank you for a most illuminating explanation of diabetes, HB-A1C,
          insulin, etc.

          I have a question for you. Do you think that many over the age
          of 50 should be daily consuming PROPHYLACTICALLY a minimal
          dose of Metformin in order to sharpen and maintain their aging
          insulin receptors? Perhaps a 150 mg daily dose is warrented
          for anti-aging purposes?

          Respectfully yours,

          Rich

          {Hello Rich... This idea is not mine... I learned it from
          Dr. Ward Dean... Yes, if you do not want to use INSULIN
          which I think is the best, then the next best is metformin.

          But you have to understand what metformin does, and why I
          think it is not as good as insulin.

          Metformin reduces your resistance to insulin, thus it makes
          the insulin that your body produces more effective... but
          it does not stop your pancreas from producing insulin
          temporarily, which would be a good thing. Injected insulin
          takes the burden off of your pancreas, so for that
          occasion your pancreas rests. Later, if there is no
          injected insulin, your pancreas still works.

          It is false and utter nonsense that once you inject insulin
          you will forever stop your pancreas from producing insulin
          again, and you become insulin dependent.

          That is wrong, false, mistaken, and not true.

          When you lower your resistance to insulin, or increase
          your body's sensitivity to insulin with metformin, your
          blood glucose will probably be lower, but your pancreas
          will continue to produce insulin which will result in beta
          cell burnout. Diabetes in effect is still advancing,
          but you have better glucose control for several years.

          This is the reason why many type 2 diabetics seem to be
          well enough controlled with metformin, but eventually
          they become type 1 diabetics.

          Dr. Marley does not agree that beta cells burn out, but
          Dr. Bernstein bases all his practice on avoiding beta cell
          burnout. I am not a doctor, so I have to choose which one
          I should believe, and what Dr. Bernstein says makes more
          sense to me, because he has kept Diabetics Type 1 and
          Type II alive for 50 years including himself, by insisting
          that they should use insulin, and keep their blood glucose
          as close to 83 mg/dl as possible...

          So I prefer to agree with Dr. Bernstein.

          So whether beta cells burn out or not, I assume that they
          DO burn out because it helps me to visualize why I should
          use insulin and not metformin.

          So: Yes, something is better than nothing, and metformin
          is something... so I do think that taking metformin is
          good for anti-aging because it helps to keep blood glucose
          lower than it would have been... I don't know what dose
          that is, but you can find out your dose if you also check
          your blood glucose, and try to keep it about 85 mg/dl,
          especially the morning fasting blood glucose.

          But I prefer to use insulin, which also keeps blood glucose
          lower than it would have been and it is as cheap or cheaper
          than metformin, it does not hurt, and it also helps to keep
          beta cells from burning out, if you agree with Dr. Bernstein
          that beta cells burn out.

          Metformin, however, is less "hassle" to use than insulin,
          because it will probably not cause hypoglycemia, even if
          you forget to eat. On the other hand, less hassle also
          means less control. And... On the other-other hand...
          Lantus (very slow insulin) will not cause hypoglycemia even
          if you forget to eat, either... as long as you ate some time
          ago, ie, if you are not starving to death in the desert.

          Thanks for writing,

          Ellis

> [...]
          >
          > They could have avoided this if they had used INSULIN and
          > taken the burden of producing insulin off of their pancreas...
          >
          > I am not a doctor, so don't listen to me. But Dr. Bernstein
          > is a doctor, and he says the same thing.
          >
          > Thanks for writing.
          >
          > - Ellis}
          >

          > Study my personal anti-aging program, Rejuvenation, and study my
          > best pages, Essential, which you are welcome to read and follow,
          > here:
          >
          > Rejuvenation http://www.rajeun.net/rejuvenation.html
          >
          > Essential http://www.rajeun.net/essential.html
          >
          > Some of these pages, now open to the public, will
          > soon be for members only.
          >
          > Search and read the archives of Rejuvenation by going
          > to "Messages" then use the search feature.
          >
          > Please help make it easy for others to subscribe to Rejuvenation.
          > Send this URL to people you would like to subscribe to this

        • Don Steiny
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
            Ellis,

            The pancreas does produce insulin when one takes metfomin, but
            to get the same results it produces less insulin. Over time the
            pancreas does not have to work so hard.

            Ellis {So what is the REASON why you use metformin? Because it is
            a PILL and you don't inject it, or is it because you think that
            INSULIN IS DANGEROUS?

            Because whatever you can tell me about the benefit of metformin,
            you might be right but the benefit of using insulin is greater,
            as long as there is not a down side... and there isn't a downside,
            if you use insulin correctly, which is very easy to learn to do.

            - Ellis}

            BTW, I test my blood sugar and experiment around and cinnamon is
            helpful too. It may not be as good as insulin injections, but
            metformin is inexpensive and not hard to get a prescription to.

            I am not diabetic but my doctor believes in keeping
            blood sugar levels low and keeping the pancreas from working too hard.

            {Yes... but your doctor has learned that INSULIN IS DANGEROUS,
            and that is the reason why he looks for a substitute. Tell
            your doctor that I have used insulin 14,000 times, and that I
            think it is better than metformin or cinnamon, and it is
            not dangerous. - Ellis}

            My doctor said that sometimes, by the time people start taking
            metformin, it is already too late, so she prefers to intervene early.

            {She is a smart doctor. I agree with her on everything except
            that she doesn't prescribe insulin where she should. But I
            understand that she does not prescribe insulin, even if I could
            convince her that it is better than metformin, because she might
            lose her license for prescribing a safe hormone that other
            doctors think is very dangerous... ... - Ellis}

            I respect your opinions, but I have a very high opinion of this doctor, partially because she sees so many people and bases her ideas on both research and experience. She thinks that metformin
            takes some of the burden off the pancreas and it makes sense that
            it would because it would produce less insulin to achieve the same
            blood sugar levels. That is what it means to have increased
            insulin sensitivity.

            -Don

            Ellis: {No, that's not what it means to have increased insulin
            sensitivity... but it doesn't matter.

            I'm glad you are using metformin and I'm glad that you are
            keeping your blood glucose controlled before you are diabetic.
            I can't agree with everybody on everything, but I can agree with
            some people on some things. I agree with you and your doctor
            on this.

            Thanks for writing... - Ellis}

          • Pedro Herrera
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
              I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the use of metformin
              prophylactically. It's a great idea to use it.

              As far as the insulin is concern not all use of insulin is created
              equal. Type II diabetics have high insulin levels but it isn't
              doing it's job.

              If you consider the use of testosterone IM not topical your
              insulin will tend to respond more favorably.

              Before you reply, visit goodman and gilman along with guyton.

              Feel free to contact me with any questions or opinions, I value
              dissension it opens my calcifying mind.

              Pedro Herrera MD

              {Hello Dr. Herrera... You are not alone. MY DOCTORS also
              thought it was pretty far out of me to try to use insulin,
              when I began to use insulin 7 years ago... and I expected
              that I might stop using it in less than a week, it was just
              an experiment.

              But... I got such good results that I never stopped using it.

              The trick is: the right dose, at the right time.

              I am not AGAINST the use of metformin. I just insist that
              there is no reason to seek a substitute for insulin, since
              we have all the insulin that we want, made in laboratories.
              The ONLY reason to avoid using insulin is if it is DANGEROUS,
              and you have been taught that it is dangerous, so if you
              really want to blow your calcified mind open, TRY some
              Lantus someday on yourself, and then report to us here on
              Rejuvenation what you find. Go on. TRY IT, it won't hurt
              you, and if it works, you will have another weapon to help
              your patients.

              Thanks for writing, - Ellis}