Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

* * * What is your take on Artificial Sweetners?

Expand Messages
  • Mike
    previous post: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rejuvenation/message/9121 My take on Artificial Sweetners? While natural sweetners (except stevia, alcohol
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
      previous post:
      http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rejuvenation/message/9121

      My take on Artificial Sweetners?

      While natural sweetners (except stevia, alcohol sugars
      - erythritol and xylitol in particular - and a few more
      natural substances) do increase glucose too much and
      should be avoided, comparing natural to artificial is
      a false comparison except for glucose levels (even then,
      artificial sweetners can keep the body from gauging how
      many carbs have been ingested). It's apples to oranges.

      A better comparison would be synthetic chemical sweetners
      to other synthetic chemicals. One that basis, it is more
      than evident that anyone concerned about long-term health
      would not eat ANY of the natural OR synthetic sweetners
      except the few natural sweetners that do not bump glucose
      too high. I use xylitol. Erythritol sounds great, but I
      haven't tried it.

      Beyond-A-Century has three good natural sweetners at good
      prices.

      http://www.easycart.net/BeyondACenturyInc./Sweet_Stuff.html

      Some side effects of Splenda:

      http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/8/splenda.htm

      Splenda's Sour Side Effects

      Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40 percent shrinkage)
      Enlarged liver and kidneys
      Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
      Reduced growth rate
      Decreased red blood cell count (take your EPO, Ellis!)
      Diarrhea (in fairness, too much of an alcohol sugar
      will also cause some diarrhea, but it takes quite a bit)

      Michael


      [Hello Michael... Whenever we discuss sweeteners, I always
      get a lot of posts telling me that they are dangerous and
      warnings that I should not use aspartame. It is not that
      I don't believe these warnings, it is that I believe it is
      not as bad for my health as SUGAR. In any case, I have to
      take a choice, either I use sugar, or I use aspartame...
      my choice is to use aspartame because it helps me to
      control my glucose levels.

      I AGREE with Dr. Mercola on SPLENDA, but I don't agree
      with Dr. Mercola on the dangers of aspartame ("Canderel"
      in Mexico, "NutraSweet" in the U.S.A.) The best thing
      might be to avoid sweeteners, but this is very impractical,
      since I don't manufacture sugar-free gelatin which is a
      very good dessert because it has protein, no fat, and no
      carbs, but it does contain aspartame... and because I
      don't manufacture many other sugarless foods which also
      contain aspartame. I prefer to buy them than not to buy
      them... and I prefer to buy them than to buy the competing
      products that have a much higher carbohydrate content.

      Anyways, if you really want to reverse aging and live a
      long and healthy life, GO IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. The
      right direction is to learn about food and nutrition,
      and how it affects YOU and then try to eat that way.

      Whether you use or don't use aspartame is trivial compared
      to the bigger choice: do you go the High Carb Low Fat route,
      or do you go the Low Carb route?

      THAT is really a MUCH more important matter than whether or
      not you use aspartame or stevia or honey or sugar.

      EVERYBODY AGREES that refined table sugar is VERY BAD...
      EVEN THE EXPERTS at the U.S.D.A. who hardly got anything
      else right at all, got it right on their infamous Food
      Guide Pyramid. (I heard they changed it... but they
      didn't... it is somebody else's proposal... I have my
      proposals too: The Carbohydrate Thermometer tells it all.)

      http://www.rajeun.net/carbotherm.html

      So... Just be aware of how much TABLE SUGAR is poured into
      desserts and sweetbreads and soft drinks, and chocolates
      and sweets and marmalades, and DON'T EAT THEM, or don't
      each as much of them... Eat twice as much of the Good,
      and half as much of the Bad.

      If only you AVOID foods that have added TABLE SUGAR you
      will turn more towards the right direction than if you
      avoid aspartame but eat a lot of sweet sugar-added foods.

      It is all a matter of relativity, as Einstein might have
      said. - Ellis]
    • Mike
      Ellis wrote: In any case, I have to take a choice, either I use sugar, or I use aspartame... my choice is to use aspartame because it helps me to control my
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
        Ellis wrote:
        In any case, I have to take a choice, either I use sugar,
        or I use aspartame... my choice is to use aspartame because
        it helps me to control my glucose levels.


        Ellis,

        The entire point of my post is that you DO NOT have to make a
        choice between sugar or aspartame or any other artificial sweetner
        that is a foreign molecule to the body and therefore contributes to
        a low level imflammatory response, which is a major contributor to
        long term disease and AGING. You CHOOSE to, but there are other
        alternatives that don't have the side effects of aspartame, achieve
        the same results, and taste much better.

        You CHOOSE to exclude those while placing long term health at risk.

        Aspartame's side effects are well-documented in many studies, animal
        and human. In addition, the huge PR/smear campaign mounted by
        Monsanto and Searle and targeted at the FDA/AMA/ADA and the public
        is no secrtet either.

        [I don't know about it... tell us about it... - Ellis]

        Dr. Mercola did not do the primary research, just as you or I
        haven't either. He has reveiwed the extensive documentation
        and, along with many other unassociated MDs, agrees that
        aspartame is quite toxic, including methanol and formaldehyde.

        The approach you're taking reminds me of the soldier who gets
        run over by a supply truck because he's too distracted looking
        for (glucose) snipers.

        It's best to pay attention to both.

        Mike

        [Hello Mike, I'm too busy taking my glucose levels and
        injecting growth hormone and insulin every day without also
        paying attention to whether or not aspartame is very bad for
        me. Really, if you want to live a long and healthy life, worry
        about the carbs, and that is difficult but a big step in the
        right direction. I'm not ignoring it, I am simply overwhelmed
        with too many therapies that I do... With all the errors
        in my program, the important point is that it has worked very
        well for me, so far, and I am already 60 years old. Do
        whatever I do that you want to do, and don't do whatever is
        not good for you... Anyways, thanks for telling me it is not
        good for me, it probably isn't but it doesn't matter that much.

        Ellis]
      • Scott Brown
        Hi Ellis: (this is the one you asked me to send again) I ve followed many of your precepts as a long time member of this list and respect you greatly for much
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005
          Hi Ellis: (this is the one you asked me to send again)

          I've followed many of your precepts as a long time member
          of this list and respect you greatly for much of what you
          do, but I'm shocked that you say "it doesn't matter that
          much." It does, indeed. You, by admitting that you
          use highly toxic Aspartame, encourage others to use it
          and indeed you may easily be unaware of the harm it is
          doing to you neurologically, in spite of the fact that you
          say you're doing well.

          Aspartame is a slow, long term toxin. It often acts
          "silently," doing its damage without the awareness of
          the individual using it. Perhaps you don't remember
          and can't keep up with all this because of this silent
          neurological damage. It may be so toxic that it more
          than overcomes the good you do by keeping your glucose
          levels low.

          As Mike said - and I paraphrase - if you don't pay
          attention to both, there may be little benefit in paying
          attention to either.

          Scott

          PS:

          Since you don't seem familiar with the literature on this
          extremely toxic substance, I've put a few references below.

          Many people, including myself, have posted informative
          articles and studies on Aspartame, demonstrating its
          toxicity on Rejuvenation in the past. If you recall, I
          mentioned that Michael J. Fox and several of his then
          young cohorts, all "addicted to" diet soda, acquired
          Parkinson's at early ages. What a coincidence!

          There is a lot more than that, which is listed below, but
          if you really want to understand this issue - that keeps
          coming up - you owe it to yourself and to others on this
          list to read some of this stuff:

          <http://www.dorway.com/jwnoasp.html>Dr. Julian Whitaker's Assessment

          <http://www.aspartame.com/lydon.htm>Article by Christine Lydon, MD

          <http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_and_brain_chemistry.htm>Neurological Damage
          in Rat Study:

          <http://www.dorway.com/dontkno.html>An overview of the Scientific Studies
          showing the dangers of <http://www.dorway.com/dontkno.html>Aspartame:

          <http://www.dldewey.com/columns/asparst2.htm>List of NON INDUSTRY FUNDED
          Research on <http://www.dldewey.com/columns/asparst2.htm>Aspartame:

          <http://www.birthdefects.org/information/env_aspartame.htm>Birth Defects:

          <http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/tesla_conference.htm>Mary Nash
          Stoddard's overview in interview:

          <http://www.aspartame.com/>A Mutitude of Information

          <http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/adverse.txt>Holistic Medicine's
          Apartame Adverse Page


          [Hello Scott... yes, I know... I just answered Phil Mican's
          post on the same topic, and he agrees with you. So what am
          I to do? I am 60 years old, I don't have neurological damage
          that I can tell, I don't want to start using sugar, I can't
          avoid aspartame if I avoid sugar, and Dr. Bernstein uses aspartame
          also, so I am not alone and in fact I am in good company.

          So... by admitting that I use highly toxic aspartame, if it is
          really highly toxic, I am saying that I have not been poisoned yet...
          and if I have to choose my poison, I have to prefer aspartame
          than sugar.

          But... Dr. Bernstein and Phil Micans have suggested stevia, which
          is not easily available in Mexico, but I will try to get some
          through the internet, and I will try to use it instead of
          aspartame, which I only add to my food when I drink coffee.

          Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it, but I can't do two
          things that are exclusive one of the other, and I have to
          go with the lower glucose that I get with aspartame.

          - Ellis]







          At 10:48 AM 9/2/2005, you wrote:
          >Ellis wrote:
          >In any case, I have to take a choice, either I use sugar,
          >or I use aspartame... my choice is to use aspartame because
          >it helps me to control my glucose levels.
          >
          >
          >Ellis,
          >
          >The entire point of my post is that you DO NOT have to make a
          >choice between sugar or aspartame or any other artificial sweetner
          >that is a foreign molecule to the body and therefore contributes to
          >a low level imflammatory response, which is a major contributor to
          >long term disease and AGING. You CHOOSE to, but there are other
          >alternatives that don't have the side effects of aspartame, achieve
          >the same results, and taste much better.
          >
          >You CHOOSE to exclude those while placing long term health at risk.
          >
          >Aspartame's side effects are well-documented in many studies, animal
          >and human. In addition, the huge PR/smear campaign mounted by
          >Monsanto and Searle and targeted at the FDA/AMA/ADA and the public
          >is no secrtet either.
          >
          >[I don't know about it... tell us about it... - Ellis]
          >
          >Dr. Mercola did not do the primary research, just as you or I
          >haven't either. He has reveiwed the extensive documentation
          >and, along with many other unassociated MDs, agrees that
          >aspartame is quite toxic, including methanol and formaldehyde.
          >
          >The approach you're taking reminds me of the soldier who gets
          >run over by a supply truck because he's too distracted looking
          >for (glucose) snipers.
          >
          >It's best to pay attention to both.
          >
          >Mike
          >
          >[Hello Mike, I'm too busy taking my glucose levels and
          >injecting growth hormone and insulin every day without also
          >paying attention to whether or not aspartame is very bad for
          >me. Really, if you want to live a long and healthy life, worry
          >about the carbs, and that is difficult but a big step in the
          >right direction. I'm not ignoring it, I am simply overwhelmed
          >with too many therapies that I do... With all the errors
          >in my program, the important point is that it has worked very
          >well for me, so far, and I am already 60 years old. Do
          >whatever I do that you want to do, and don't do whatever is
          >not good for you... Anyways, thanks for telling me it is not
          >good for me, it probably isn't but it doesn't matter that much.
          >
          >Ellis]
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >Study my personal anti-aging program, Rejuvenation, and study my
          >best pages, Essential, which you are welcome to read and follow,
          >here:
          >
          >Rejuvenation http://www.rajeun.net/rejuvenation.html
          >
          >Essential http://www.rajeun.net/essential.html
          >
          >Some of these pages, now open to the public, will
          >soon be for members only.
          >
          >Search and read the archives of Rejuvenation by going
          >to "Messages" then use the search feature.
          >
          >Please help make it easy for others to subscribe to Rejuvenation.
          >Send this URL to people you would like to subscribe to this
          >discussion:
          >
          >http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/Rejuvenation
          >
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • philmicans
          Ellis, Long time- no write, as they say. But when I took a look recently at your chat group and saw this post about artificial sweeteners I had to say
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12, 2005
            Ellis,

            Long time- no write, as they say. But when I took a look recently
            at your chat group and saw this post about artificial sweeteners I
            had to say something!

            [Hello Phil... It is nice to hear from you again. For those who
            do not know him, Phil Micans is Editor in Chief of "International
            Antiaging Magazine" which has always been excellent, but now is
            even better than before, so it is superb. I recommend everybody
            should subscribe to Life Extension Magazine, and also to Phil's
            "International AntiAging Magazine" which has many excellent original
            articles. See it at:

            http://www.antiaging-systems.com

            Phil, please tell us more about the next I.A.S. Anti Aging
            Convention, which I think you have every year in Monaco or
            London. - Ellis]

            You should definitely stay clear of aspartame. It is simply too
            closely related to aspartate, a major excitatory neurotransmitter
            in the brain. And there is evidence that the sweetener itself
            crosses the blood brain barrier.

            The bottom line is that evidence points to excitotoxins being the
            possible trigger for Alzheimer's disease, (and affecting other
            forms of senile dementias too). This was recently highlighted by
            the approval of a new drug- Memantine (that's the chemical name),
            which is an excitotoxin blocker. It has become the first drug to
            be efficacious in the late-stages of Alzheimer's disease, which
            is quite remarkable considering that most drugs are only effective
            in the early or mid stages of the disease.

            This is therefore suggesting that excitotoxins have a major role
            in the development of that disease.

            Now aspartame is one of the chief (common) triggers for excitotoxins.
            There are others, of course, another primary is MSG (monosodium
            glutamate- the common flavor enhancer in Chinese food etc).

            I could mention a very famous actor who in his mid 40's was diagnosed
            with a form of Parkinson's disease. He led a very "clean" lifestyle,
            but he had one thing that stood out about his lifestyle: He would
            drink 10-20 cans of Diet Coke (the aspartame containing version) most
            days. I appreciate this is not "proof" but one has to look for "clues"
            and a type of conclusion can be drawn.

            There's a great article about all this on the IAS website written by
            biochemist James South, a very respected authority in brain nutrition
            etc. See:

            http://www.antiaging-systems.com/extract/excitotoxins.htm

            I appreciate these things are always a difficult call. Maybe the
            longer term detrimental effects of aspartame intake are outweighed
            by the shorter term benefits of controlled insulin response etc?

            Or maybe as we know aspartame should be avoided, that we choose
            another artificial sweetener (for example Xylitol- which at least
            has been shown to be of benefit to teeth too!)

            Of course, it may be that information will come to light later
            about other artificial sweeteners that may also mean they are "bad"
            in some regard. But then that's life, we can only react to the
            information we have at hand.

            Lastly, on the note of sugar, we must remember that sucrose is not
            a natural molecule... after all it's glucose and fructose bonded.

            If you are going to choose to have a sweet tooth, choose a natural
            unrefined one- fructose.

            Keep up the good work on the chat group. I appreciate how much of
            your time it must take up. We are all looking forward to your new
            forum.

            Phil

            [Hello Phil... Every time I write to say that I am in favor
            of aspartame because it is better than sugar, I get a lot of
            feedback telling me how bad and dangerous it is... and although
            I believe you, I still take it.

            I cannot bring myself to stop taking it because I don't have any
            choice in the matter: it is everywhere... I can either choose to buy
            products with SUGAR in them, or I can choose products with
            aspartame in them.... but I can't choose not to eat one or the other.

            So I choose products with aspartame instead of products with
            sugar. I am joined on this decision by Dr. Richard Bernstein, who
            is the expert I choose to believe on the topic of diabetes.

            In "Diabetes Solution" Dr. Bernstein says the following about
            aspartame:

            =================================================================================================Powdered Artificial Sweeteners

            Sweet'n Low, Equal, The Sweet One, Sugar Twin, and similar powdered
            products in paper packets usually contain about 96% glucose and
            about 4% artificial sweetener. They are sold as low-calorie
            sweeteners because they contain only 1 gram of glucose as compared
            to 3 grams of sucrose in a similar paper packet labeled "sugar".
            More suitable for diabetics are tablet sweeteners such as saccharin,
            cyclamate, and aspartame. (Equal in the U.S.) Note that the same
            brand name can denote two different products. Equal is a powder
            containing 96% glucose and also a tablet containing no glucose.
            Stevia powder and liquid (sold in health food stores) contain no
            sugar of any kind. p. 124

            Since the Health food industry shuns artificial sweeteners like
            saccharin or aspartame, if a food taste sweet, it is probably sugar.
            - p. 129

            Please remember that with the exception of the no-calorie beverages
            and moderate portions of sugar-free Jell-o, there are no "freebies."
            - P. 129

            I carry a package of Equal (aspartame) tablets with me, particularly
            when I go out to eat. - p. 136

            You can prepare your own granulated sweetener for use in some of
            the following recipes by crushing or grinding Equal (aspartame)
            tablets (not packets) or saccharin tablets in one of the following
            ways: between two spoons, in a pepper mill, in a small electric
            coffee grinder. Aspartame (but not saccharin) will lose its
            taste if added to food before cooking, so it must be used only
            after cooking. You may prefer to use stevia since it is sold as
            a powder or liquid and is not degraded by heat. - p. 333
            ===================================================================================================
            From this I conclude that Dr. Bernstein accepts and recommends
            aspartame in pill form, but not in packets, and he accepts aspartame
            in Jell-o and Diet Coke or other soft drinks.

            He also accepts stevia... but he uses aspartame himself.

            So again I am back to what I have said, I could try to switch to
            stevia, if it was available in Mexico, but it isn't... for whatever
            reason, it is not found here... Maybe I will buy some stevia
            through the internet, maybe even from I.A.S. if you sell it... but I
            still am forced to accept, not reluctantly, to have diet soft drinks,
            and diet yoghurt and diet jell-o which contain aspartame, or
            acelsufame-K, (which is also accepted by Dr. Bernstein.)

            And again... THE REASON why I like aspartame is BECAUSE IT DOES NOT
            RAISE BLOOD GLUCOSE, which I think is extremely important. It is
            possible that it is an excitotoxin that causes Alzheimers, but I
            have no doubt at all that raising blood glucose will cause the loss
            of neurons, and that is certainly without any doubt one reason that
            senior citizens lose their memory. So between the possibility of
            Alzheimers and the certainty of senility, I have to choose to prevent
            the certainty of senility due to loss of neurons.

            But if I could have stevia, both you and Dr. Bernstein would agree
            that it is good and better than sugar... so I promise I will try
            to get stevia...

            But I know I will still drink diet soft drinks, and sugar free
            yoghurts, and aspartame containing jell-o, because even if I would
            solemnly say I wouldn't, I know I eat many things that I shouldn't
            eat. I don't have that much will power to avoid everything I say I
            shouldn't eat, so I do the best I can, I try to eat much of what
            I think is not as bad as other things I could eat which are worse
            because they raise blood glucose. I really do try to keep blood
            glucose controlled by avoiding high carb foods... but sometimes
            I eat them anyways.

            "Good bye, neurons" I say to myself when I eat something I know I
            shouldn't be eating... and then I limit myself a bit, if I can.

            So... that is not to say that aspartame is good for me or for
            anybody... It is to say I eat it because I have reason to believe
            that in this world of imperfects, it is more perfect than sugar
            or than whatever other alternative is available... and I am joined
            in this opinion by Dr. Bernstein, who I think is the expert that I
            choose to follow to avoid high blood glucose.

            But I also agree that if I can increase my use of stevia and
            decrease my use of aspartame in tablets, I would be following
            the advice of both Dr. Bernstein and many others on this forum
            who have asked me to stop using aspartame, so I PROMISE everybody
            I will get some stevia through the internet.

            Thanks for writing. Again, three stars for this post. This
            is a really important debate for everybody to listen to.

            Ellis Toussier




            --- In Rejuvenation@yahoogroups.com, "rcj112" <rcj112@y...> wrote:
            >
            > I asked this earlier thru my mail & I know ur a busy man so
            > it might have not made it. What is ur take on artificial
            > sweetners? Are they safe? Are some safer than others & if
            > so what do u recomend?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > rc
            >
            > [Hello rc... My "take" on artificial sweeteners is that they
            > are much better than SUGAR, or HONEY, or MAPLE SYRUP, or any
            > of the other "natural" sweeteners. The reason why this is
            > so is because they don't raise my glucose levels.
            >
            > I did the following, and I ask you to repeat this experiment:
            >
            > Take two identical water glasses and fill each with about half
            > a glass of water, any amount, but it should be the same amount
            > of water in each glass.
            >
            > Then... mix one envelope of an artificial sweetener into one
            > glass. I mixed one envelope of 1 gram of Nutra Sweet, which
            > is called Canderel in Mexico.
            >
            > This gives you a very sweet clear liquid.
            >
            > Weigh 1 gram of sugar on an accurate scale... mix into the other
            > glass of water... taste it and compare the "sweetness" with the
            > glass with the artificial sweetener... if it is not as sweet,
            > mix another and another 1 gram of sugar until they taste
            > approximately as sweet as each other.
            >
            > The taste is not the same, but I think the sweetness is more or
            > less the same when it is 8 grams of SUGAR and 1 gram of Nutra
            > Sweet.
            >
            > So... let us suppose it is 1 to 8... Let us suppose you mix
            > 15 grams of sugar into a cup of coffee... Instead of 15 grams,
            > you mix 2 grams of NutraSweet... 2 grams of carbohydrate almost
            > doesn't budge my blood glucose levels, but 15 grams of
            > carbohydrate does make it go up from 90 to about 110...
            >
            > Or, as part of a meal with 20 grams of carbohydrates, a
            > soft drink with 2 more grams, or a soft drink with 15 grams of
            > carbohydrates, it certainly makes a big difference if my
            > blood glucose goes from 90 to 120 (20+2 grams of carbs) than
            > from 90 to 140 (20+15 grams of carbs)... especially since it is
            > ENTIRELY AVOIDABLE. So... I prefer water, but in Mexico I
            > often choose to drink Diet Coke when I am not sure of the
            > water.
            >
            > If you choose to sweeten your foods (or you choose foods...) that
            > have artificial sweeteners instead of SUGAR, you can lower
            > carbohydrate intake and therefore blood glucose levels, probably
            > 15 to 60 grams less per meal, between coffee, desserts, yoghurts,
            > gelatins, soft drinks, etc., and IN THE LONG RUN it really should
            > make a difference.
            >
            > So... that's "my take" about artificial sweeteners.
            >
            > I KNOW that many people will write to tell me that Nutra Sweet
            > or aspartame is bad for my health, that it can cause headaches
            > and maybe other symptoms, and you might be right...
            >
            > But in the end, everything is good and bad... you have to decide
            > if it is more good for you, or more bad for you, and do what you
            > think is better for you.
            >
            > I think keeping my glucose levels controlled is extremely
            > important, and artificial sweeteners help me to do this, so I
            > am in definitely in favor of using them.
            >
            > There are several artificial sweeteners on the market, among
            > them Nutra Sweet, which contains aspartame, and Splenda, which
            > says it is made from sugar but it is sweeter... and there is
            > Stevia, which is a natural sweetener which is many times sweeter
            > than sugar, but doesn't taste too good in my opinion...
            >
            > Even though many people have written to me to say that I
            > shouldn't use Nutra Sweet, I have no problem with it and it is
            > still the sweetener that I use at home, but sometimes I use
            > Splenda or whatever they give me in a restaurant. I think
            > they are both "safe enough" for me, but if I ever would have
            > a rash or any other symptom or reason to stop using them, I
            > will stop using them.
            >
            > There used to be other good sweeteners, but whenever some mad
            > scientist drowns a mouse in sweeteners, the F.D.A. takes it off
            > the market, and soon after the rest of the planet follows
            > obediently... so I think many good sweeteners have been taken
            > off the market, beginning with saccarin which used to be my
            > parent's way of sweetening coffee... I remember my mother was
            > extremely upset when they took away her favorite sweetener from
            > the shelves because some mad scientist had killed a rat in
            > hundreds of times the poor rat's dose of saccarin.
            >
            > I certainly do NOT believe that aspartame causes cancer, lupus,
            > diabetes, heart disease, blindness, multiple sclerosis, and
            > every other dreaded disease known to man. This is without any
            > doubt a hoax, and a very bad one too, because it has made
            > millions or billions of people around the world choose sugar
            > instead of aspartame. Sugar is a much worse choice than
            > aspartame, however bad aspartame really is.
            >
            > Thanks for writing. Three stars for this post.
            >
            > - Ellis]
          • JGCJulie
            Hi Ellis, [hello Julie...] I can t help adding my two cents to this discussion of artificial sweeteners. I think the most important poinr is this: Both sugar
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
              Hi Ellis,

              [hello Julie...]

              I can't help adding my two cents to this discussion of artificial
              sweeteners. I think the most important poinr is this: Both sugar
              and aspartame are bad for you. But there really is no dichotomy
              that says you must either use sugar or aspartame. In my opinion,
              there's no reason to use either.

              [There are products that either you don't eat or you have to
              choose with sugar or aspartame... like Jell-o, yoghurt, chewing
              gum, etc. And there is coffee, into which you have to choose to
              put in sugar, or Nutrasweet ("Canderel" in Mexico) I could
              not buy these products at all... but I do buy them, because I
              LIKE Jell-o, yoghurt, chewing gum, and coffee... So I am forced
              to choose whether to eat them with sugar, or with aspartame.
              - Ellis]


              My husband and I use stevia in its many forms available in the
              U.S.: powder, liquid, tablets, or powder packets. There are even
              brands that mix stevia with a small amount of something else (that
              has no carbs) which makes it taste better. My favorite is a product
              called Sooooo Lite, which has a small amount of another substance
              mixed with the stevia, and, to me, tastes much better than plain
              stevia.

              I wouldn't touch most diet drinks with a ten-foot pole. Not only
              bcause they contain aspartame, which I woudn't consume under any
              conditions I can imagine, but because they contain high amounts of
              phosphorous that acidify the body (and which has a bad impact, among
              other things, on the teeth and bones). But we make our own
              delicious no-carb lemondade, by mixing liquid stevia with lemon (or
              lime) juice and water.

              (I said "no carb," but it has whatever carbs the lemon or lime
              juice has.) Stevia doesn't taste very good in certain foods or
              drinks, but in some (such as sour substances) it tastes essentially
              like sugar.

              If you're concerned about the water, then can't you buy bottled
              water, carbonated water, whatever? Or bring your own drink?

              [Yes, I can, and I do at home... but in a restaurant, I usually
              drink a diet drink or lemonade with Nutrasweet ("Canderel")
              - Ellis]


              Rather than eating commercial yoghurt preparations or jello for
              dessert, we make our own dessert using low-fat, unsweetened yoghurt,
              to which we add stevia.

              [Look at the label of this low fat unsweetened yoghurt, and it
              might contain aspartame... - Ellis]


              We also add whey protein powder to balance out the carbs in the
              yoghurt, and berries (we use it that way for breakfast). However,
              for a quick dessert, you could just add stevia to unsweetened
              yoghurt.

              Here in the U.S., stevia is available in many forms in almost any
              health food store (including the chains, like GNC and Vitamin
              Shoppe). If it's not available in Mexico (which seems silly, since
              it's a South American herb),

              [The only thing Mexico has in common with South America is that we
              speak the same language. It is 4 hours by jet to Columbia, 12 hours
              by Jet to Brazil, and maybe 15 hours to Argentina. We are on
              a different continent. There isn't any highway that goes from
              South America to North America... they end in the jungles of
              Columbia and Panama. - Ellis]

              then buy a supply of it from wherever you can online. It should be
              avaialble from many online sources (I'd be surprised if both LEF and
              Vitamin Research Products (of which Dr. Ward Dean is the Medical
              Director) don't carry it.

              Occasionally, if I have to, I'll use something with sucralose
              (Splenda) in it (such as a liquid calcium that contains it), but
              only when I have no other option. From everything I've read,
              Sucralose isn't nearly as bad as aspartame (although I certainly
              avoid it when I can).


              You might be right that it's better to use aspartame than sugar.
              But, as others have given ample references for, I think aspartame is
              bad news, is a brain excitotoxin, and, if not as bad as sugar, is in
              any event somethng my husband and I won't allow in our bodies.

              I think Dr. Bernstein is great. But I've never found a doctor who
              knows everything, and maybe this is Dr. Bernstein's personal blind
              spot. Especially as a resident of the U.S., I see no reason why he
              should tolerate the use of aspartame, when it's so easy to satisfy a
              sweet tooth with readily available stevia.

              [He does accept stevia. He probably just accepts aspartame
              when he has no choice but to eat it, or leave it. - Ellis]


              Also, I think ample evidence indicates that Xylitol is an excellent
              sweetener choice. It has many beneficial properties -- it enhances
              dental health, kills bacteria in the gastrointestinal system, and
              even fights osteoporosis. Furthermore, while it is a carb, it's low
              glycemic. And it tastes pretty good, too. So, why not order some
              of that as well and test it with your glucose meter? (VRP even
              carries Xylitol gum.)

              I've recently gotten turned on to International Anti-Aging Systems,
              and just placed my first order with them. They are definitely on
              the smart end of anti-aging advocacy!

              I encourage you, Ellis, to work on eliminating aspartame from your
              diet by working out for yourself how to use stevia (completely
              harmless, apparently, and possibly even beneficial), Xylitol, and,
              when necessary, less toxic artificial sweeteners instead.

              :) Julie

              [Thanks. I'll try to get stevia. And I agree with you that
              Xylitol TASTES very good, but it is difficult for me to have a
              supply of it whenever I need it in Mexico, too. But it still
              does not solve the problem that if I want to have yoghurt, and
              chewing gum, and diet drinks, and I do... there aren't any with
              Xylitol, my choice is only: with aspartame, or with sugar.

              But the message is clear: I should try to avoid aspartame
              and also sugar... and I should try to get stevia... I will...
              thanks.... - Ellis]

              --- In Rejuvenation@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brown <scotflyr@p...>
              wrote:
              >
              > Hi Ellis: (this is the one you asked me to send again)
              >
              > I've followed many of your precepts as a long time member
              > of this list and respect you greatly for much of what you
              > do, but I'm shocked that you say "it doesn't matter that
              > much." It does, indeed. You, by admitting that you
              > use highly toxic Aspartame, encourage others to use it
              > and indeed you may easily be unaware of the harm it is
              > doing to you neurologically, in spite of the fact that you
              > say you're doing well.
              >
              > Aspartame is a slow, long term toxin. It often acts
              > "silently," doing its damage without the awareness of
              > the individual using it. Perhaps you don't remember
              > and can't keep up with all this because of this silent
              > neurological damage. It may be so toxic that it more
              > than overcomes the good you do by keeping your glucose
              > levels low.
              >
              > As Mike said - and I paraphrase - if you don't pay
              > attention to both, there may be little benefit in paying
              > attention to either.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > PS:
              >
              > Since you don't seem familiar with the literature on this
              > extremely toxic substance, I've put a few references below.
              >
              > Many people, including myself, have posted informative
              > articles and studies on Aspartame, demonstrating its
              > toxicity on Rejuvenation in the past. If you recall, I
              > mentioned that Michael J. Fox and several of his then
              > young cohorts, all "addicted to" diet soda, acquired
              > Parkinson's at early ages. What a coincidence!
              >
              > There is a lot more than that, which is listed below, but
              > if you really want to understand this issue - that keeps
              > coming up - you owe it to yourself and to others on this
              > list to read some of this stuff:
              >
              > <http://www.dorway.com/jwnoasp.html>Dr. Julian Whitaker's
              Assessment
              >
              > <http://www.aspartame.com/lydon.htm>Article by Christine Lydon, MD
              >
              >
              <http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_and_brain_chemistry.htm>Neurological
              Damage
              > in Rat Study:
              >
              > <http://www.dorway.com/dontkno.html>An overview of the Scientific
              Studies
              > showing the dangers of
              <http://www.dorway.com/dontkno.html>Aspartame:
              >
              > <http://www.dldewey.com/columns/asparst2.htm>List of NON INDUSTRY
              FUNDED
              > Research on <http://www.dldewey.com/columns/asparst2.htm>Aspartame:
              >
              > <http://www.birthdefects.org/information/env_aspartame.htm>Birth
              Defects:
              >
              >
              <http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/tesla_conference.htm>Mary
              Nash
              > Stoddard's overview in interview:
              >
              > <http://www.aspartame.com/>A Mutitude of Information
              >
              > <http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/adverse.txt>Holistic
              Medicine's
              > Apartame Adverse Page
              >
              >
              > [Hello Scott... yes, I know... I just answered Phil Mican's
              > post on the same topic, and he agrees with you. So what am
              > I to do? I am 60 years old, I don't have neurological damage
              > that I can tell, I don't want to start using sugar, I can't
              > avoid aspartame if I avoid sugar, and Dr. Bernstein uses aspartame
              > also, so I am not alone and in fact I am in good company.
              >
              > So... by admitting that I use highly toxic aspartame, if it is
              > really highly toxic, I am saying that I have not been poisoned
              yet...
              > and if I have to choose my poison, I have to prefer aspartame
              > than sugar.
              >
              > But... Dr. Bernstein and Phil Micans have suggested stevia, which
              > is not easily available in Mexico, but I will try to get some
              > through the internet, and I will try to use it instead of
              > aspartame, which I only add to my food when I drink coffee.
              >
              > Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it, but I can't do two
              > things that are exclusive one of the other, and I have to
              > go with the lower glucose that I get with aspartame.
              >
              > - Ellis]
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > At 10:48 AM 9/2/2005, you wrote:
              > >Ellis wrote:
              > >In any case, I have to take a choice, either I use sugar,
              > >or I use aspartame... my choice is to use aspartame because
              > >it helps me to control my glucose levels.
              > >
              > >
              > >Ellis,
              > >
              > >The entire point of my post is that you DO NOT have to make a
              > >choice between sugar or aspartame or any other artificial
              sweetner
              > >that is a foreign molecule to the body and therefore contributes
              to
              > >a low level imflammatory response, which is a major contributor to
              > >long term disease and AGING. You CHOOSE to, but there are other
              > >alternatives that don't have the side effects of aspartame,
              achieve
              > >the same results, and taste much better.
              > >
              > >You CHOOSE to exclude those while placing long term health at
              risk.
              > >
              > >Aspartame's side effects are well-documented in many studies,
              animal
              > >and human. In addition, the huge PR/smear campaign mounted by
              > >Monsanto and Searle and targeted at the FDA/AMA/ADA and the public
              > >is no secrtet either.
              > >
              > >[I don't know about it... tell us about it... - Ellis]
              > >
              > >Dr. Mercola did not do the primary research, just as you or I
              > >haven't either. He has reveiwed the extensive documentation
              > >and, along with many other unassociated MDs, agrees that
              > >aspartame is quite toxic, including methanol and formaldehyde.
              > >
              > >The approach you're taking reminds me of the soldier who gets
              > >run over by a supply truck because he's too distracted looking
              > >for (glucose) snipers.
              > >
              > >It's best to pay attention to both.
              > >
              > >Mike
              > >
              > >[Hello Mike, I'm too busy taking my glucose levels and
              > >injecting growth hormone and insulin every day without also
              > >paying attention to whether or not aspartame is very bad for
              > >me. Really, if you want to live a long and healthy life, worry
              > >about the carbs, and that is difficult but a big step in the
              > >right direction. I'm not ignoring it, I am simply overwhelmed
              > >with too many therapies that I do... With all the errors
              > >in my program, the important point is that it has worked very
              > >well for me, so far, and I am already 60 years old. Do
              > >whatever I do that you want to do, and don't do whatever is
              > >not good for you... Anyways, thanks for telling me it is not
              > >good for me, it probably isn't but it doesn't matter that much.
              > >
              > >Ellis]
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >Study my personal anti-aging program, Rejuvenation, and study my
              > >best pages, Essential, which you are welcome to read and follow,
              > >here:
              > >
              > >Rejuvenation http://www.rajeun.net/rejuvenation.html
              > >
              > >Essential http://www.rajeun.net/essential.html
              > >
              > >Some of these pages, now open to the public, will
              > >soon be for members only.
              > >
              > >Search and read the archives of Rejuvenation by going
              > >to "Messages" then use the search feature.
              > >
              > >Please help make it easy for others to subscribe to Rejuvenation.
              > >Send this URL to people you would like to subscribe to this
              > >discussion:
              > >
              > >http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/Rejuvenation
              > >
              > >
              > >Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.