Dr. Roy Walford dies

  • Jerry Emanuelson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2004
      Dr. Roy Walford, one of the great pioneers of life extension and
      antiaging medicine, died on April 27, 2004. He died of complications
      of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (commonly known as ALS, or Lou
      Gehrig's Disease). He was 79. (He would have been 80 on June 29.)

      I just found out about it in a newsletter of the American Academy of
      Antiaging Medicine. There's more information at

      http://www.walford.com

      Nobody knows what causes amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Some
      scientists have suspected that is it caused by a virus similar
      to the virus that causes polio, but nobody really knows.

      Jerry Emanuelson

      (May he rest in peace. I use Dr. Walford's Diet Planner very often,
      and I agree with his slogan "Given the same amount of nutrients, fewer
      calories are better than more calories." In other words: nutrient
      dense calories are better than empty calories.

      However, Dr. Walford did not make any distinction between carbohydrates
      and protein, since one gram of each is 4 calories. So he would
      avoid FAT, but his recipes show that he did not avoid carbohydrates.
      There are MANY foods that Dr. Walford did not avoid because they do not
      contain FAT, but which I advise you should avoid, including rice, bread,
      corn, potatoes, whole wheat bread, and cereals. I also advise that
      you have to limit fruits. In fact, some fruits (APPLES) are close to
      being "empty calories" too, especially if you compare the nutrients in
      FRUITS to nutrients in VEGETABLES. (vegetables win by a large margin)

      This is a big omission, or a big mistake, in my opinion.

      I followed Dr. Walford's advice myself for many years. Using the
      glucose meter, I learned that carbohydrates are not created equal with
      protein because they shoot up MY glucose levels. Even foods that I
      had been thoroughly programmed to believe were very good for me, such
      as a large glass of ORANGE JUICE turned out to be terrible for me
      because they shoot up my glucose levels sky high.

      So I agree with Dr. Walford's advice in general, but I modified it
      in detail... "Given the same amount of nutrients, fewer calories are
      better than more calories, and lower blood glucose levels are better
      than higher blood glucose levels" (Note: 90 mg/dl is the point where
      my blood glucose levels will settle, as measured on a Roche AccuCheck
      Sensor, if I do not eat for several hours. 70 mg/dl. is the least it
      should ever drop.)

      http://www.rajeun.net/glucose.html

      http://www.rajeun.net/aadiet.html

      http://www.rajeun.net/35minutes.html