Re: Insurance

  • JRHMD53@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 1999
      If you were a patient at our center (Hilton Head Longevity Center) the
      hormone costs about $450/month with another $100/month of supplements to
      insure adequate health balance and $49.95 to check IGF-1 every other month.
      About $250 to get started. Not as bad as you thought!
      James R Hughes, MD
      888-412-4452
    • PJ
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 1999
        > >From: "Michael Meadows" <meadows@...>
        > >What are people's experiences with getting insurance coverage for HGH?
        > Will health insurance cover this? Or are
        > >all of you rich? <g>

        PJ adds:
        I am one of the few who get insurance coverage. I only get it because I
        am such a sickie with virtually no hGH at all. My level had to be <.5 of
        actual hGH after exercise. Most on this list will not be sick. I have
        had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 4 yrs with a systemic infection of
        mycoplasma incognitus inside my white blood cells. BTW this is the same
        infection many of the sick Gulf War vets have. If any of you know a vet
        who is sick, they may want to get their growth hormone levels tested, as
        this could be an effective treatment for this horrible illness.
        PJ
      • Michael Meadows
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 1999
          Customs and the FDA took exception to you bringing it into the US???? They
          gave you a hard time? They took it away from you? What problems did you
          encounter and what was the resolution?

          Michael

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 1999
            Michael,
            My experience went as follows: I declared my medicine on my customs form. I'm sure that I could have omitted it and walked right past the customs agents but I wanted to do things right. I had researched information on the U.S. Customs web site and the FDA's web site. I brought a recommendation from my doctor to a Mexican doctor (Doctor Vasquez, an excellent anti-aging physician) who examined me and wrote me a prescription. I had all this paperwork with me upon my return to the U.S. and felt confident that I would sail through customs.

            The agent took one look at the medicine noted it was injectible, and told me there is a ban on injectible medicine and that he is supposed to deny me entry. I was incredulous! I asked him if I was being denied entry because the molecule in rHGH is too big to be taken orally. He then began questioning me more and more aggressively about why I bought the medicine in Mexico. I showed
            him my prescription from the Mexican doctor and that seemed to piss him off. I finally admitted that a motivating factor was the lower price in Mexico, and that I was only bringing back a 60 day supply, etc. The second I mentioned the lower price, the customs agent wrote something down and left us in the room. He came back 10 or 15 minutes later and told us he had called the agent in charge of the San Antonio office and that agent said he would have denied us entry. He told me I would have to either surrender the medicine or go back to Mexico and try to get my money back. When I complained that just because I bought the medicine in Mexico didn't make it cheap, and told him how much money I had spent, the agent told us to wait and left to make a call to the FDA.

            He was gone a good 30 minutes, during which time other agents would come near us and talk about how my wife and I were being denied entry. I asked one of them why there was any question because this is a legal medicine prescribed by a physician and I am continuing therapy under the care of my physician at home. She told me that prescriptions from Mexican doctors are meaningless
            because those guys would write a prescription for anything. She told me I should have had a prescription from a U.S. doctor. She also told me it is legal to bring back up to a 90 day supply of medicine if you have a U.S. doctor's prescription. They would not let me contact my doctor in Connecticut to have him fax down a prescription.

            The agent came back in and said "you got lucky this time." The FDA does not have a firm policy on the importation of this drug and so they did not direct him to deny entry, they left it in his discression. He was being nice and would allow me entry this time. He went on to tell me that the U.S. Customs Department now had a file on me, and if I ever tried to bring back growth
            hormone again I would be denied entry. He also told me that the FDA was not happy and he had given them my passport information and they would be contacting me.

            I initiated contact with the FDA through an e-mail and got a response that showed some pretty basic misunderstanding on their part as to the manufacture and make-up of the medicine. Or I have some basic misconceptions. They feel that Humatrope manufactured for sale outside the U.S. is produced with different ingredients, processes and specifications than the U.S. version.

            They also think that Humatrope is also known as Norditropin or Somatropin. The FDA personal importation guidance was established only for enforcement where a product is unavailable (unapproved, etc.) and the use of the product does not present a risk to the user. They feel that they do not regulate the costs of medications (they do, however, seem to be removing a low cost competitor from the market which limits competitive price pressures and keeps the product expensive, thereby limiting the number of people who take it. This prevents manufacturers from growing the market and gaining production and marketing economies of scale, more producers entering the marketplace and lower prices).

            Sorry for my long tale. The short version is: they were not happy but let me pass.

            -Steve

            [In the meantime, other persons have also bought GH in Mexico and also
            crossed U.S. Customs, declaring their purchase, and not had as much trouble
            as Steve... what happened to Steve seems to be that it depends on how much training the agent has that you declare it to, because in the end it was the F.D.A. that did not deny him to pass, and left it at the discretion of the Customs agent. Why the Customs agent continued to pretend that it was such a big favor that he was doing to Steve, to let him carry through a legal medicine with a legal prescription, I don't really understand, but it is sure that if he had wanted to deny him passage, he could have, for no good reason at all. It would just be an injustice and nothing that can be done about it. I like to think the U.S. Government is not out to punish its citizens for buying medicines in Mexico, but sometimes I wonder. Steve describes that they got angry when he mentioned it was less expensive in Mexico. It is a prejudice, it makes no sense. But it will help if you also have an American doctor's prescription when you cross Customs. Ellis]

            Michael Meadows wrote:

            > From: "Michael Meadows" <meadows@...>
            >
            > Customs and the FDA took exception to you bringing it into the US???? They
            > gave you a hard time? They took it away from you? What problems did you
            > encounter and what was the resolution?
            >
            > Michael

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 1999
              Now you can see why I just came through customs and didn't declare
              a single thing!!!!

              Julie

              [Julie, I understand you perfectly well, but the correct thing would be
              for Customs not to cause a problem where there isn't a problem... U.S.
              citizens should have the right to buy a medicine made in the United States
              and approved by the F.D.A. with a legal prescription, wherever they
              prefer to buy it. Customs should not get angry because it is a Mexican
              doctor that issues the prescription (in Mexico) and Customs should not
              care if the motivation that someone has to go to Mexico to buy it is
              because it is less expensive. You would think that these agents never go shopping for a bargain themselves. They act as if they all buy only at the most expensive stores in town. -

              Right now... Steve should have the same right as anybody else to buy his growth hormone in Mexico, or in whichever country he wishes to. It is unfair that Customs has warned him never to buy growth hormone outside the U.S. again. WHY? WHY? Why can he buy it in the U.S., but not anywhere else? Ellis]