Re: [Rejuvenation] First Injection... math quiz...

  • Bill Saxon
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2000
      Not meaning to beat a dead horse but what I have written about directly
      injecting the IUs as marked on the syringe may be misleading to someone. In
      reading the fine print on the Genotropin flyer there is 1.14 of liquid that
      the various components are dissolved in. Being a solution the volume after
      dissolving would also be 1.14 ml.

      [Isn't that a strange quantity? It seems like that .14 ml is expected to
      be wastage... Anyways, 1.14 ml is a lot less than the 5 ml that Humatrope
      comes with, or the 3 ml that Norditropin comes with... However, you have
      17.5 i.u. diluted into 1.14 c.c. of diluyent, so each 1 i.u. is contained
      in every .065 c.c. - Ellis]

      The vial is marked as containing 5.8 mg or 17.5 IU of rHGH. Apparently this does not mean you can inject 1 IU from an Insulin Syringe without any adjustment.

      The Insulin Syringe is calibrated so that 100 IU (of Insulin I suppose) is equal to 1 ml (cc). This is apparently not true with rHGH since 1.14 ml of volume contains 5.8 mg of rHGH. Therefore .065 ml would equal 1 IU of rHGH. This would equate to 6.5 IU calibration lines on a one half cc (50 ml) Insulin Syringe.

      [correct. - Ellis]

      When I went on the Web and looked up IU (Internal Unit) it said words to the
      effect that it was useful but the definition was vague. That is an
      understatement. It would seem that it is an arbitrary volume holding an
      arbitrary concentration of a drug or vitamin so long as it is understood in
      general by most people who have a need to know that it is in fact that. {:o(

      [I think i.u. means "international unit", did you find that it is "internal
      unit" ? - Ellis]

      As an aside ... The 1/2 cc Insulin Syringe is great. It has a fine 30 gauge
      needle that is only 8 mm long. I hardly feel it when I inject. Also the
      calibrations are spread out because of the small bore of the syringe making
      it easy to read the volume. I use the Becton Dickinson Syringe available in
      Wal-Mart. I can then pull back the plunger and there is no visible residue
      and so very little loss of rHGH.

      [I agree... but 29 gauge or 28 gauge or 27 gauge don't hurt, either. - Ellis]