Re: First IGF-1 Test Results

  • Ellis Toussier
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 1999
      --- Tom <dunlin@...> wrote:
      > From: dunlin@... (Tom)
      >
      > Ellis. . .
      >
      > Just got my latest IGF-1 back and it's much lower
      > than I had hoped.
      > Before the Humatrope . . .it was 112 and now it's
      > 187 which is still
      > very low. I've been taking 1 i.u. per day(six days
      > a week). . .half in the
      > morning and half at night.

      Julie, don't worry about it... Lazarus Long says IGF-1 tests are not
      extremely reliable. Something similar happened to me at some point...
      I took 8 i.u.'s per week for one month, and I went down in IGF-1! I
      felt confused so I wrote to Lazarus Long, and he said not to waste my
      money on more IGF-1 tests, to look at results and how I was feeling...
      I was looking better and feeling very well... so I ignored the IGF-1
      tests and just continued taking rHGH, and I don't regret it at all.
      SOMETHING must be happening but it is difficult to get a number to pin
      it down, to tell you you are really way up...

      > Does anyone know if it will continue to go up with
      > time? or should
      > I increase the dosage for a few weeks? These are
      > all the questions
      > that I need answered.

      Julie, you can try going up in dosage... but you're getting good
      results right now. If you go up in dosage you might get the same good
      results or maybe better... but I don't know... You're doing very well
      right now... why change?

      I just read Marty's message about Dr. Cranton telling him that 1 i.u. per
      day will raise IGF-1 about 100 ng/ml... that is really very interesting...
      if it is a straight line, that would mean that we can take up to about 3
      i.u.'s per day... doesn't that sound like a bit too much? I think the most
      I would be willing to try on myself would be 2 i.u.'s per day...

      Which reminds me... why isn't Dr. Cranton subscribed to this newsgroup?
      I think I might not have sent him an invitation. Please try to think of who
      we would like to have join this group... Dr. Ronald Klatz, also, of course...

      > Do you think I should speak (e-mail) Dr. Vazquez and
      > ask his opinion?

      He's not going to know any more about it than that it is not what you
      expected...

      > What increases have the rest of you gotten in about
      > a six week period? What
      > else can I do to help the Humatrope along?

      I think you should just not worry about it... you are in no trouble,
      and you're feeling better, so why worry about it?

      > Any suggestions, anyone???? I really do feel a lot
      > better even if the level is still low.

      Julie, that is ALL that is important... you really do feel a lot
      better!

      > I've read that some clinics do not retest after
      > starting because the
      > level often does not rise but the person feels
      > better and looks better.
      >
      > Julie

      I agree with that... I was really confused when I got my results back
      and they had gone down, and everything else was so good. I wish I
      hadn't spent money on the tests, and then have confusing results.
      ===
      Ellis Toussier
      Please reply to both etoussier@... and etoussier@...
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 1999
        Hi Ellis and Marty,

        Thanks for the reply. I went back to Dr. Klatz's book "Grow Young"
        and think I'll make a few changes in how I do things . . .such as,

        1. I won't eat anything after 7:00 so I can give my body four hours
        for the insulin to go down. I also am going to eat only protein
        and complex carbs especially at dinner. Dr. Klatz states that
        the first hours after eating, blood sugar rises and insulin is
        released, which encourages the storage of excess carbs and fat.
        The second hour, growth hormone is released and the levels of
        insulin and blood sugar start to fall. At this stage, growth
        hormone acts to build up muscle protein, an activity that is
        enhanced by the presence of the insulin. Then four hours after
        eating,(fasting stage), the growth hormone concentrations remain
        at a high level, while insulin almost disappears. At this
        stage, growth hormone acts solely to mobilize the body's fat
        stores for burning as fuel. I realize that this is how the
        body naturally releases the hgh but I think we can also simulate
        that same effect.

        2. Dr. Cranton in "Resetting the Clock" also has a chapter on diet
        that says keep the carbs complex, the protein lean and don't
        touch the white stuff or more simply stated, anything that comes
        in a box. Eat as natural as possible . . .I try to find organic
        . . .and watch the type of fats and amount.

        3. Excercise every day. I've been going to a trainer for about
        six weeks and know that in the long run, this will be one of
        the things that will help make the difference.

        4. Take good supplements. I'll make sure I give my body everything
        it needs to do the job properly.

        5. I think I'll add DHEA to the program. I didn't want to add it
        when I first started the rhGH so I would be able to tell what
        benefits were entirely from that. Now is probably the time
        to try it. Are any of you taking this now.

        Ellis . . .it would be wonderful if you could get these two doctors
        to take part in this list. Please do invite them.

        Marty. . .keep on doing what you're doing. We both feel better
        in the short term even thought our IGF-1 levels are only back into
        the 180's. If we add all the other parts to the program to mazimize the
        effect, perhaps we can raise the level into the 200's or maybe
        that's not even necessary.

        There are so many questions and I just hope we'll be able to be the ones
        that come up with some of the answers through this group.

        All of you are important to me. . .you're the ones who understand
        the problems and also, the ones who dream the dream . . .of feeling
        better and being the best we can be. I don't know one single person
        locally that is trying this therapy so I really feel lucky to have
        this group as support!!!

        Julie
      • s&c
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 1999
          Eating 3-4 meals a day with 3.5 - 4 hrs between meals
          plus low glycemic index foods helps. Also,
          fasting for 24hrs/ per week.

          Tom wrote:

          > From: dunlin@... (Tom)
          >
          > Ellis. . .
          >
          > Just got my latest IGF-1 back and it's much lower than I had hoped.
          > Before the Humatrope . . .it was 112 and now it's 187 which is still
          > very low. I've been taking 1 i.u. per day(six days a week). . .half in the
          > morning and half at night.
          >
          > Does anyone know if it will continue to go up with time? or should
          > I increase the dosage for a few weeks? These are all the questions
          > that I need answered.
          >
          > Do you think I should speak (e-mail) Dr. Vazquez and ask his opinion?
          >
          > What increases have the rest of you gotten in about a six week period? What
          > else can I do to help the Humatrope along?
          >
          > Any suggestions, anyone???? I really do feel a lot better even if the level
          > is still low.
          >
          > I've read that some clinics do not retest after starting because the
          > level often does not rise but the person feels better and looks better.
          >
          > Julie

          > http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/Rejuvenation
        • Ellis Toussier
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 1999
            Hi Julie,

            (I was thinking... maybe you should get your own
            e-mail address... something like:
            Julie<julie@...> so when we reply it doesn't
            say "Tom wrote:")

            --- Tom <dunlin@...> wrote:
            > From: dunlin@... (Tom)
            >
            > Hi Ellis and Marty,
            >
            > Thanks for the reply. I went back to Dr. Klatz's
            > book "Grow Young"
            > and think I'll make a few changes in how I do things
            > . . .such as,
            >
            > 1. I won't eat anything after 7:00 so I can give my
            > body four hours
            > for the insulin to go down. I also am going to
            > eat only protein
            > and complex carbs especially at dinner.

            > 2. Dr. Cranton in "Resetting the Clock" also has a
            > chapter on diet
            > that says keep the carbs complex, the protein
            > lean and don't
            > touch the white stuff or more simply stated,
            > anything that comes
            > in a box, and watch the type of fats and amount.
            >
            > 3. Excercise every day.

            > 4. Take good supplements.
            >
            > 5. I think I'll add DHEA to the program. I didn't
            > want to add it when I first started the rhGH so I would be able to
            tell what benefits were entirely from that. Now is probably the time
            to try it. Are any of you taking this now.

            Julie, I have read that DHEA is also important for women but that the
            dosage is about one fourth as much as for men. (Also: See Life Extension
            Foundation Anti-Aging Therapies) Start low on this and then go up.
            There is another hormone, pregnenolone, which is similar
            or a precursor to DHEA which is also probably good for you, and it is
            produced by the same gland that produces DHEA so it is probably a good
            idea to take a little of this too, if you start on DHEA. I have also
            read that IGF-1 levels increase with just DHEA, so I agree that if you
            take it in addition to your rHGH you will probably get a boost in IGF-1
            levels (if that is in fact so important... I don't know how important
            it is, but how it is measured doesn't seem to be very reliable, since
            several of us report good results and low or confusing IGF-1 levels.)

            > Ellis . . .it would be wonderful if you could get
            > these two doctors to take part in this list. Please do invite them.

            I am not the only one that can do the inviting. Please, everybody,
            invite everybody that you think would be interested in this discussion.

            I found a stupendous newsgroup, sci.life-extension, over at deja-news
            and I had never even known it existed. The internet is so vast that
            after 4 years I barely found out today about sci.life-extension I
            will add it to my Life Links page right away.

            > Marty. . .keep on doing what you're doing. We both
            > feel better in the short term even thought our IGF-1 levels are only
            back into the 180's. If we add all the other parts to the program to
            mazimize the effect, perhaps we can raise the level into the 200's or
            maybe
            > that's not even necessary.

            > There are so many questions and I just hope we'll
            > be able to be the ones that come up with some of the answers through
            this group.

            > All of you are important to me. . .you're the ones
            > who understand the problems and also, the ones who dream the
            dream... of feeling better and being the best we can be. I don't know
            one single person locally that is trying this therapy so I really feel
            lucky to have
            > this group as support!!!

            That is exactly how I feel about it. There is only one other person I
            know that is taking growth hormone, and one more about to begin, but I
            have found my support (and I try to give support) on the internet, and
            this group, especially.

            > Julie

            I am going to be out of town for one week starting Tuesday, and I won't
            be able to monitor the posts during that week. So far, maybe just the
            description of this newsgroup keeps advertising and multi-level marketing
            and recruiting off because nobody had ever posted a message trying to
            recruit, or invited anybody to an MLM company, or things like that.
            (I am not against MLM or advertising, but this is not the place for it,
            right?) I can turn this list on automatic, for that week, in which case
            all messages will be posted straight, without any monitoring...or, if
            somebody would like to volunteer to monitor the posts, just let me know and
            I'll pass it to you. - Ellis
            ===