LEF opposed glutamine supplementation

  • gts
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2000
      I found the LEF article in which the foundation states its concerns about
      glutamine.

      "One cause of brain cell death is glutamate toxicity. Brain cells use
      glutamate as a neurotransmitter, but unfortunately glutamate is a
      double-edged sword in that it can also kill aging brain cells. The release
      of glutamate from the synapses is a usual means by which neurons communicate
      with each other.

      Effective communication means controlled release of glutamate at the right
      time to the right cells, but when glutamate is released in excessive
      amounts, intercellular communication ceases. The flood of glutamate onto the
      receiving neurons drives them into hyperactivity, and the excessive activity
      leads to cellular degradation. The Life Extension Foundation has never
      recommended glutamine supplements for healthy people because of concern
      about glutamine-induced brain cell damage."

      -LEF Magazine August 1998
      http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag98/aug98-report1.html

      See my web page also at www.optexinc.com/glutaminerisks.htm

      -gts