* * * 'Un-Growth Hormone' Increases Longevity

  • Robert Osborne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2011
      Ellis: Here is another anti-growth hormone study. It is interesting, and
      a bit unsettling to read studies against the use of growth hormone, but
      it is going to take more than this to make me stop using HGH. I am not
      sure what else MZ-5-156 did...

      Maybe it also lowered the mice's blood glucose and this is the reason
      why the mice lived longer... I don't know...

      I would like to see the OPPOSITE study: growth hormone given to
      mice... would THAT decrease their health and increase tumors and
      shorten their life span?

      I really should enter the Methusalem Mouse contest. I don't know where
      to get the mice. Perhaps I could get the mice in England and pay somebody
      to administer what I tell them to, and feed them what I tell them to, and
      check their blood glucose like I tell them to. - Ellis
      ==============

      'Un-Growth Hormone' Increases Longevity, Researchers Find

      ScienceDaily (Dec. 23, 2010)

      A compound which acts in the opposite way as growth hormone can reverse
      some of the signs of aging, a research team that includes a Saint Louis
      University physician has shown.

      The finding may be counter-intuitive to some older adults who takegrowth
      hormone, thinking it will help revitalize them.

      Ellis: We THINK it will revitalize us?

      Their research was published in the Dec. 6 online edition of the Proceedings
      of the National Academy of Sciences.

      The findings are significant, says John E. Morley, M.D., study co-investigator
      and director of the divisions of geriatric medicine and endocrinology at
      Saint Louis University School of Medicine, because people sometimes take
      growth hormone, believing it will be the fountain of youth.

      "Many older people have been taking growth hormone to rejuvenate themselves,"
      Morley said. "These results strongly suggest that growth hormone, when given to
      middle aged and older people, may be hazardous."

      The scientists studied the compound MZ-5-156, a "growth hormone-releasing
      hormone (GHRH) antagonist." They conducted their research in the SAMP8 mouse
      model, a strain engineered for studies of the aging process.

      Overall, the researchers found that MZ-5-156 had positive effects on oxidative
      stress in the brain, improving cognition, telomerase activity (the actions of an
      enzyme which protects DNA material) and life span, while decreasing tumor
      activity.

      MZ-5-156, like many GHRH antagonists, inhibited several human cancers, including
      prostate, breast, brain and lung cancers. It also had positive effects on learning, and
      is linked to improvements in short-term memory. The antioxidant actions led to
      less oxidative stress, reversing cognitive impairment in the aging mouse.

      William A. Banks, M.D., lead study author and professor of internal medicine and
      geriatrics at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, said the
      results lead the team "to determine that antagonists of growth hormone-releasing
      hormone have beneficial effects on aging."

      The study team included as its corresponding author Andrew V. Schally, M.D., Ph.D.,
      a professor in the department of pathology and division of hematology/oncology
      at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

      Story Source:

      The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by Saint Louis University, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

      Journal Reference:

      1.W. A. Banks, J. E. Morley, S. A. Farr, T. O. Price, N. Ercal, I. Vidaurre, A. V. Schally. Effects of a growth hormone-releasing hormone antagonist on telomerase activity, oxidative stress, longevity, and aging in mice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2010; 107 (51): 22272 DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1016369107