* * * PrandiMet... New Diabetes drug

  • silvia beck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
      ..hi ellis
      I have just started this drug , actually bought it in india ,
      it appears to work really well. what do you think ellis ???

      Ellis: I think you (and they) are missing the point.

      I KNOW that metformin lowers resistance to insulin, thus it makes
      the insulin that the pancreas releases more effective... and
      according to what they say below, repaglinide stimulates the
      pancreas to release insulin quickly... So, I AM CERTAIN that they
      will BOTH together work to lower blood glucose, and lower HbA1c...

      THE REAL GOAL is NOT how to lower blood glucose, or how to lower
      HbA1c... The real goal should be HOW TO KEEP THE PANCREAS FROM
      BURNING OUT IN THE LONG RUN. And in these tests, they have only
      shown that they can lower blood glucose and HbA1c... what they
      have NOT shown is HOW DOES THIS COMPARE WITH USING INSULIN?

      And I can give you the answer, with my eyes closed and both
      hands tied behind my back: The persons who will take this
      "combination" pill instead of using insulin WILL SUFFER WORSE
      DIABETES down the line... it may take 10 years, it may take
      20 years, but these persons should ALL be USING INSULIN TODAY
      which would: 1. Lower blood glucose just as well if not
      better... and ... 2. Keep the pancreas from producing insulin,
      thus it would keep the pancreas from burning out as soon as I
      AM CERTAIN it will burn out, using metformin + repaglinide.

      NOW, what they should do is to give HALF of the group this
      "combination" pill and THE OTHER HALF should be treated with
      Lantus + Humalog (ie, slow and fast insulin.) And I would bet
      1000 to 1 (one thousand to one) that the group that would use
      INSULIN would OUTLIVE the group that uses "PrandiMet"...

      GUARANTEED, they are not getting the treatment that they should
      get. GUARANTEED.

      But YOU could get the treatment you should have, if you would
      learn to USE INSULIN.

      http://www.rajeun.net/usinginsulin.html

      http://www.rajeun.net/usinglantus.html

      But I am not a doctor, so don't listen to me... and nobody who
      is treating these patients will listen to me. They are all
      SCARED to use insulin because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE INSULIN.
      They are DOCTORS, but they DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE INSULIN
      CORRECTLY. So they prescribe metformin and repaglinide, and
      they feel GOOD because their patients don't die soon. - Ellis

      , October 08, 2008 9:54 PM
      Subject: metformin and prandimet
      /PrandiMet will be available in the second half of this year. It will come in two fixed doses-1 milligram [mg] of repaglinide with 500 mg of metformin and 2 mg repaglinide with 500 mg metformin-and is recommended to be taken two to three times a day with meals http./www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/Tara_Dairman/New_Combination_Drug_Approved
      Jul 18, 2008 @ 03:33 PM

      On June 23, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new pill that combines two older drugs for Type 2 diabetes. Called PrandiMet, the pill is a combination of repaglinide (brand name Prandin) and metformin (Glucophage and other brand names).

      The two components of PrandiMet help lower blood glucose levels in different ways. Metformin prevents the liver from making too much glucose and makes the body more sensitive to insulin. Repaglinide stimulates the pancreas to release insulin quickly, and is used at mealtimes to help control after-meal blood glucose levels.

      The approval of this new combination drug was based in part on a study of 83 people (published in Diabetes Care in 1999) that showed that repaglinide and metformin together lowered blood glucose more than either drug alone. In the study, the people randomly assigned to take a combination drug for 4-5 months had a 1.4% drop in HbA1c levels compared to nonsignificant HbA1c changes in people who took either drug on its own. The study was also double-blind, meaning that neither the researchers nor the participants knew who was receiving which drug.

      However, these results were not without side effects. People who took the combination drug had a higher rate of hypoglycemia (33%) compared to those who took repaglinide alone (11%). And those who took repaglinide either alone or in combination gained weight (about 5-6.5 pounds), while the people in the metformin-only group lost weight (about 1.9 pounds).

      Other concerns associated with PrandiMet include kidney and liver function; people who have kidney or liver disease should not use PrandiMet, and the FDA advises that people have their kidney function checked before starting on PrandiMet and then at least once a year while they are taking the drug. PrandiMet should also be stopped before radiologic procedures involving iodinated contrast dye and not taken for another 48 hours after the procedure. And, because it contains metformin, PrandiMet carries some risk of gastrointestinal side effects (such as diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting) and a small risk of the serious side effect lactic acidosis.

      PrandiMet will be available in the second half of this year. It will come in two fixed doses-1 milligram [mg] of repaglinide with 500 mg of metformin and 2 mg repaglinide with 500 mg metformin-and is recommended to be taken two to three times a day with meals.

      PrandiMet is the first Type 2 diabetes combination drug combination on the market to contain repaglinide, but several other combination drugs contain metformin. These include Janumet (sitagliptin [Januvia] plus metformin), ACTOplus met (pioglitazone [Actos] plus metformin), Avandamet (rosiglitazone [Avandia] plus metformin), Metaglip (glipizide [Glucotrol] plus metformin), and Glucovance (glyburide [Micronase, DiaBeta, and Glynase] plus metformin).

      .
    • sobeped67
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2009
        Sobeped67: Ellis, Semorelin can give you a 50% boost in igf-1
        versus HGH.

        Ellis: You mean Semorelin can give a 50& boost in IGF-1... not
        "versus" HGH... because HGH can give a boost of 100% or more of
        IGF-1.

        Sobeped67: Also people should do Semorelin because it gives the
        brain a biofeedback loop. This means the brain after a while might
        shut down secondary to exogenous ( outside) amount of growth hormone.

        Ellis: You are GUESSING that the brain shuts down secondary
        to exogenous (outside) amount of growth hormone. In fact, my
        GUESS based on my own blood tests is that the pituitary works
        BETTER because the outside amount of growth hormone rejuvenated
        the pituitary itself...

        Sobeped6: Recently they are coming out with a releasing peptide
        combined with Semorelin that gives excellent igf-1 numbers.

        Ellis: What are those excellent numbers? A 50% boost from 100 is
        to 150... not enough... A 50% boost from 130 is 195... still not
        enough...

        So what do you want a 50% boost for if it is from "not enough" to
        "still not enough" ? - Ellis

        Sobeped67: Also HCG is effective in weight loss secondary to
        elevations in testosterone. It mimics LH raising testosterone.
        Sorry couldn't take it anymore, - Sobeped67

        Ellis: Hello Sobeped. What you write is what the manufacturer of
        Semorelin writes... but the persons who have taken Semorelin say
        it doesn't work as well as injectible growth hormone.

        I am not afraid that my brain will shut down HGH production "after
        a while" because I have taken HGH every day for more than 10 years,
        and my brain has did not shut down production of HGH... I invite you
        to see my page:

        http://www.rajeun.net/day30.html

        I did not take HGH for 30 days after I had injected growth hormone
        for 18 months... I tested my blood 5 times during one month... and
        30 days after I stopped using HGH, my IGF-1 was above 200...
        I think this means that my pituitary still lives... Lives like an
        athelete's pituitary, by the way... because IGF-1 of 201 is "like
        a 25 year old athlete"...

        And I stopped taking HGH for three weeks recently, because I forgot
        to pack it when I left to the airport for Europe. In that time I
        ate relatively well, and I injected insulin... but if my pituitary
        does not have growth hormone, it would not have been able to release
        growth hormone.

        Ellis

      • Darold Carpenter
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
          Ellis  I'm not sure if there are several manufactures of growth
          hormone releasing hormone, one of which is brand name Semorelin...
          And maybe some work and some don't. But I'm on record as saying
          I took Semorelin and it had ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT on my IGF-1 level...
          and I took large amounts, over several months.

          Checking with Dr. Dona Becker who prescribed the Scoreline for me.
          She has had several other patients try it and they all had the
          same results, which were: none.

          She no longer prescribes Semorelin.

          Regards Darold

          Ellis: Hello Darold... Thanks for your testimonial about
          Sermorelin. You have used HGH and you have used Sermorelin,
          so there are few people like you who can compare the two as
          you can. Thanks for writing. Stay well. - Ellis