Re: STEP 3: THE ECLECTIC INTERESTS of EARLY REFORM

  • zorak_zoran
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
      Here's my work for Step 3:

      * Why didn't early Druids like sermons, preferring meditations?

      The best break from something you don't like is to change it into
      something you do like. The early Druids may have replaced the sermons
      with meditations because sermons (if they are anything like today's
      sermons) very patronizing. As newly young adults, they didn't need a
      parent figure telling them what to do again. Rather a more spiritual
      way to fill that time is to reflect. Personal reflection on a simple
      quote is very satisfying.

      I know we don't have to provide quotes but I liked this quote very much.

      "Your daily life is your temple and your religion.
      Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.
      The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.
      For in reverie you cannot rise above your achievements
      nor fall lower than your failures."
      ARDA2part6-1.pdf, page 19, from "The Prophet"

      This really personalizes religion and spiritual practice. It defines
      Druidic thought for me, that living and doing is spiritual. You don't
      need to go to a "store" to buy your "religion". You carry it with you.
      You make it on your own. I know I'm reading more into it but it
      inspired those thoughts.
    • Michael Scharding
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
        Thanks for jumping in there Zorak,

        There were 3 parts to the meditation part of the service at
        Carleton. A reading, some spoken words about the selection, then
        some quiet time (possibly a quaker carry-over). Fisher, though,
        apparently liked to talk alot, being headed for the Episcopal
        seminary, I suppose. So once in a while you'll see injunctions by
        later Archdruids to keep that short.

        Later ADs at other groves, would elaborate on the Liturgy by
        inserting more poems, call-response, or other creative elements.

        Any one else, like to throw in their thoughts, on this, perhaps the
        most obscure section of the ARDA 2 course?

        Oldtimers like to chime in on what they would usually do during this
        part of the service- readings and such they'd pick?

        Nudge, nudge?
        -Mike

        --- In Reformed_Druid_Texts@yahoogroups.com, "zorak_zoran"
        <zorak_zoran@...> wrote:

        > Here's my work for Step 3:
        >
        > * Why didn't early Druids like sermons, preferring meditations?
        >
        > The best break from something you don't like is to change it into
        > something you do like. The early Druids may have replaced the
        sermons
        > with meditations because sermons (if they are anything like today's
        > sermons) very patronizing. As newly young adults, they didn't need
        > parent figure telling them what to do again. Rather a more
        spiritual
        > way to fill that time is to reflect. Personal reflection on a
        simple
        > quote is very satisfying.
        >
        > I know we don't have to provide quotes but I liked this quote very
        much.

        > "Your daily life is your temple and your religion.
        > Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.
        > The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.
        > For in reverie you cannot rise above your achievements
        > nor fall lower than your failures."
        > ARDA2part6-1.pdf, page 19, from "The Prophet"
        >
        > This really personalizes religion and spiritual practice. It
        defines
        > Druidic thought for me, that living and doing is spiritual. You
        don't
        > need to go to a "store" to buy your "religion". You carry it with
        you.
        > You make it on your own. I know I'm reading more into it but it
        > inspired those thoughts.

      • Tezra Reitan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2007
          I'll chime in, as I guess I'm an old-timer.  This summer will mark my
          32nd anniversary as a 3rd Order Druid.  In the Hazelnut MotherGrove,
          of which when it was a physical grove I was at times a Co-ArchDruid
          and at times a Co-CoArchDruid, (I guess because I love chocolate),
          Stephen loved to do guided meditations, so he would guide us to
          various mythical places.  I miss that in the online rituals, but he can't
          type fast enough to make it time effective.
          Tegwedd

          <zorak_zoran@...> wrote:

          > Here's my work for Step 3:
          >
          > * Why didn't early Druids like sermons, preferring meditations?
          >
          > The best break from something you don't like is to change it into
          > something you do like. The early Druids may have replaced the
          sermons
          > with meditations because sermons (if they are anything like today's
          > sermons) very patronizing. As newly young adults, they didn't need
          > parent figure telling them what to do again. Rather a more
          spiritual
          > way to fill that time is to reflect. Personal reflection on a
          simple
          > quote is very satisfying.
          >
          > I know we don't have to provide quotes but I liked this quote very
          much.

          > "Your daily life is your temple and your religion.
          > Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.
          > The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.
          > For in reverie you cannot rise above your achievements
          > nor fall lower than your failures."
          > ARDA2part6-1.pdf, page 19, from "The Prophet"
          >
          > This really personalizes religion and spiritual practice. It
          defines
          > Druidic thought for me, that living and doing is spiritual. You
          don't
          > need to go to a "store" to buy your "religion". You carry it with
          you.
          > You make it on your own. I know I'm reading more into it but it
          > inspired those thoughts.

        • Beth Savage
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2007
            Tezra, you mentioned that your grove did guided meditations, did you
            ever do spoken meditations? If so, what kind of material did you use?

            Beth
          • tirnandarag
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
              Hi Beth,

              I do spoken meditations too but not guided ones. Do you care to hear
              about Poison Oak Grove's as well?

              Stacey, not such an old timer who joined in '84

              --- In Reformed_Druid_Texts@yahoogroups.com, Beth Savage <bsavage@...>
              wrote:

              > Tezra, you mentioned that your grove did guided meditations, did you
              > ever do spoken meditations? If so, what kind of material did you use?
              >
              > Beth

            • Beth Savage
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 17, 2007
                You bet!

                Beth

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 21, 2007
                  Call me Tegwedd.  The kind Stephen did are definitely spoken.  I don't
                  know where he got his material.  I suspect that he wrote them himself,
                  using his 5000 volume library as a resource.
                  Tegwedd

                  On 1/16/07, Beth Savage <bsavage@...> wrote:

                  Tezra, you mentioned that your grove did guided meditations, did you
                  ever do spoken meditations? If so, what kind of material did you use?

                  Beth

                • Dylan
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                    I hope they do some with me I love guided meditations.> >
                    > > Beth

                  • Tezra Reitan
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2007
                      You can create your own, you know.  My best friend has been doing them
                      for years, she taught me, and she has even taught her two children, 13 and
                      11 how.
                      Tegwedd