Re: Introduction (an ex(?)-Carleton Druid Priest.)

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
      --- In Reformed_Druid_Texts@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Scharding"
      <mikerdna@h...> wrote:
      > Why you must be Greg Hoffman, I believe I called you once in 1992
      > while doing research.

      yup.

      > I'd like to know more details about which history your typed up.
      > But you'll be receiving a little bit of Carleton history in your
      > mailbox next weekend, possibly. I've republished Richard
      Shelton's
      > collection of Carletonia; The Carleton Druid Collection and you're
      > slated to get a copy (being an old timer at Carleton), so keep an
      > eye on that, I'd love your opinion.

      Got it yesterday - I'll take a look at it. Thanks.
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
        Actually, (if I remember right), there was a bit of proliferation of
        the order numbers by the time I got there - possibly going up to 7
        or 8, but thats really fuzzy. I think I was "entry-level priest")
        (3rd by your count), and I know of one or two 4 or 5's that had
        departed prior to my graduation.

        --- In Reformed_Druid_Texts@yahoogroups.com, "Norm Nelson"
        <norman_e@e...> wrote:
        > If you can find that hard copy, check with the Archives at the
        Carleton
        > Library to see if they want a copy. Except for someplace in the
        back of
        > Mike Scharding's closet, that's the only official depository of
        RDNA
        > information.
        > As one of the founders. I'm happy to welcome you to this
        group. RDNA is
        > still tongue-in-cheek, sometimes to the extent that it makes it
        hard to
        > talk!
        > There are only three Orders in RDNA: 1st, which (in my days)
        anyone who
        > attended a service attained, 2nd, "ordained" to help distribute
        the Waters
        > of Life, and 3rd, an Archdruid, conducting the services. If you
        were the
        > last, you'd remember, so I suspect that you might have been a 2nd
        Order, if
        > you were "a priest".
        > — Norm Nelson, Carleton '64
        Druid
        > Priest.)
        >

        > Hello RDNA...
        >
        > My name is Greg, and I was a Druid at Carleton in the '74-'78
        era. II
        > ended up as a (forgotten order) priest.
        >
        > One of the things I do remember doing is taking the box of RDNA
        > history and typing it into a computer file (gee - I think it was
        > PDP-11...). I think I probably have a hard copy of it somewhere
        or
        > another still.
        >
        > When I describe my experiences with the RNDA, I usually describe
        it as
        > a "religon lab exercise", with the assignment being "make up a
        > religion, let it go, and observe how people react to it;
        compare and
        > contrast to existing religions".
        >
        > It was definitely tongue-in-cheek stuff. But I heard others
        say "I've
        > been looking for the right religion, and this is really
        meaningful for
        > me".
        >
        > Lab assignment completed, I guess.
        >
        > I'd especially be happy to hear from ex-Carleton folks from this
        time.

        of Service.
      • Norm Nelson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
          I should clarify me comment.  Initially, there were only the 3 Orders.  Fisher claimed to have been ordained as a 3rd in high school, so he ordained us as 2nds.  Anyone who attended a service and partook of the Waters was automatically a 1st Order.
              Before my graduation in 1964, Fisher, Frangquist and I created the 4th, 5th and 6th Orders, and ordained each other to them. Fisher became patriarch of the 4th; I became Patriarch of Bracciaca, the 5th Order, and Frangquist of the 6th.
              As I recall (after all, we're talking 40 years ago!) somebody created at least a 7th Order.  I don't recall an 8th, but I wasn't in touch for a while, so it might have been created.  I'm not sure how these were done, since it was initially a requirement that anyone who became a higher Order had to be a member of all the lower ones, and I don't recall ordaining anybody [although it might have been done by proxy with my (forgotten) permission].
              Mike probably has (or has access to) documentation on all the "higher" Orders.

          <norman_e@e...> wrote:
          > If you can find that hard copy, check with the Archives at the
          Carleton
          > Library to see if they want a copy.  Except for someplace in the
          back of
          > Mike Scharding's closet, that's the only official depository of
          RDNA
          > information.
          >     As one of the founders. I'm happy to welcome you to this
          group.  RDNA is
          > still tongue-in-cheek, sometimes to the extent that it makes it
          hard to
          > talk!
          >     There are only three Orders in RDNA: 1st, which (in my days)
          anyone who
          > attended a service attained, 2nd, "ordained" to help distribute
          the Waters
          > of Life, and 3rd, an Archdruid, conducting the services.  If you
          were the
          > last, you'd remember, so I suspect that you might have been a 2nd
          Order, if
          > you were "a priest".
          >     — Norm Nelson, Carleton '64

          of Service.

        • Stephen Abbott

            <norman_e@e...> wrote:
            > If you can find that hard copy, check with the Archives at the
            Carleton
            > Library to see if they want a copy.  Except for someplace in the
            back of
            > Mike Scharding's closet, that's the only official depository of
            RDNA
            > information.
            >     As one of the founders. I'm happy to welcome you to this
            group.  RDNA is
            > still tongue-in-cheek, sometimes to the extent that it makes it
            hard to
            > talk!
            >     There are only three Orders in RDNA: 1st, which (in my days)
            anyone who
            > attended a service attained, 2nd, "ordained" to help distribute
            the Waters
            > of Life, and 3rd, an Archdruid, conducting the services.  If you
            were the
            > last, you'd remember, so I suspect that you might have been a 2nd
            Order, if
            > you were "a priest".
            >     — Norm Nelson, Carleton '64

            AD Stephen W. Abbott