Re: [ReefKeeping] observations

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      I have seen a lot of strange fish behaviour, but that is a first for me. Does the lion eat exclusively from the cow?

      Rich
      ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
      > Over the last couple of days I have had the most obnoxious headache, so I thought watching the fish might help. In the 75 gal I have a rose bubble tip and a tomato clown. This is "Normal" behavior is for the clown to bring pieces of food to the anemone.
      >
      > Well, I was watching the critters in the 150 gal; where we have a long horn cow fish (Lactoria cornuta) and a lion fish ( Pterois volitans). I noticed that the cow was bringing food to the lion just like the clown does with the anemone. They both hang out in the same corner of the tank most of the time. Has anyone noticed this kind of behavior with other critters that aren't normally considered "Symbiotic"?
      >
      > Becky Ellen
    • Becky Ellen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        No, not exclusively; but the cow treats the lion like a special needs child.
        It seems like he deliberatly keeps the krill out of the water flow so the
        Lion has time to recognize what it is and get it. The cow acts like he is a
        big brother, keeping close to the lion; even though the lion is four times
        his size. It is just so funny to watch their relationship.

        Becky Ellen

        I have seen a lot of strange fish behaviour, but that is a first for me.
        Does the lion eat exclusively from the cow?

        Rich
        ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
        > Over the last couple of days I have had the most obnoxious headache, so I
        > thought watching the fish might help. In the 75 gal I have a rose bubble
        > tip and a tomato clown. This is "Normal" behavior is for the clown to
        > bring pieces of food to the anemone.
        >
        > Well, I was watching the critters in the 150 gal; where we have a long
        > horn cow fish (Lactoria cornuta) and a lion fish ( Pterois volitans). I
        > noticed that the cow was bringing food to the lion just like the clown
        > does with the anemone. They both hang out in the same corner of the tank
        > most of the time. Has anyone noticed this kind of behavior with other
        > critters that aren't normally considered "Symbiotic"?
        >
        > Becky Ellen
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          That is so interesting with such different species of fish.

          And I am glad it was not me who let Tony know that those were Asterina stars. I just hate bursting people's excitement when they think they have something so great just to find out it is a tank full of pests. I have known people to tear down their entiure tank and start over because of those darn stars. I have a few in my tank, but something seems to be keeping their population down. Many two and three legged ones limping around.