Re: [ReefKeeping] Coraline Algae growth accelerator

  • Jeff Davison
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
      The Seio work good for me and at a 250.00 savingings over the Tunze on each
      one its a no brainer. I have had 3 ea. Seio's in my tank for well over 3
      years with no problems, (nock on wood) they really do move a high volume of
      water and are very flxible in the many ways of mounting them. I take them
      out 1 time a year and give them a good cleaning.

      As far as the Coraline Alge question. When I had PC's for light my Coraline
      grew at a very very fast pace due to High Calcium 450 to 550. (by way of
      Tropic Marine Bio Calcium out of Germany) and good water current. If you
      have MH lights it will only grow in the shadows and where there is low
      light.
      This is my experience as a Marine Aquariest of 7 years.
      Jeff Davison
      AKA Luv2reef
      AKA Luv2turn (wood that is)

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        I have seen urchins eat coraline. I even have one of those urchins myself. But if conditions are good in your tank, then an army of urchins could never keep up with all the coraline growth.

        Rich

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
          I certainly agree that high light does not encourage coraline. One thing coraline does like is smooth surfaces like plastic. So... the best place is going to be a shaded smooth plastic surface with lots of water flow. But, don't forget to KEEP THE NUTRIENT LEVEL DOWN. Nothin worse for coraline than having to compete with nuisance algae.

          Rich