Introduction

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 24, 2010
      I just joined this group. I have had freshwater fish for a long time and am thinking of adding a saltwater reef setup. I am at the reading and research stage. I first thought of getting a 55 gallon tank like the one I have for my cichlids but after reading about the disadvantages of a narrow depth (only 13"), I have decided I want a tank that is 18" deep and about 20" tall (so it is easy to clean). So I am looking at either a 75-gallon, 100 gallon or 125-gallon aquarium which would be pre-drilled.

      I am considering getting a used one with a lot of the equipment, stand, lights etc. Am I crazy to even consider a 125-gallon as a beginner? I think I would prefer a 75-gallon (less intimidating, easier water changes, less costly maintenance) but know of a nice 125-gallon that seems to have all the right equipment (at least from what I have been reading in the latest edition of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums" - great book); beside a good protein skimmer, lights, etc., it includes a sterilizer, reactor and RO/DI system.

      What would you recommend? Wait for a 75-gallon or go for the larger one? Pros and cons please.
      I would like to know if the 125-gallon may be overkill at this stage and whether I might find it too much to start with. I know bigger is often better, means more stability, and more livestock possibilities but will it be overwhelming for someone starting out with saltwater? Doesn't it also mean a lot more maintenance than with a 75-gallon, more cleaning, water mixing etc. I can certainly wait till the right 75-gallon comes along if that is a better choice for a beginner.

      Thanks for your input.
      Marianne
    • Bill Bergovoy
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 25, 2010
        Lots of discussion about big vd small, but they are somewhat subjective.

        But, what isn't subjective is...  The bigger the more electricity it will take to maintain your tank.

        My 55g was about $125 per month.  My 180g was about $300 per month, depending on season.    Lighting and water cooling, because if the lights is the biggest cost, consideration.

        Good luck.

        Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

        The bigger the better! Believe me, you will never regret choosing the larger option when it comes to a reef.

        Steve