Re: [ReefKeeping] are there any active group members?

  • Valerie Olivier
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 26, 2009
      I'm a lurker here.

      Valerie
      interesting quote....
      "The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 26, 2009
        I lurk too. I only respond if I think I can help.

        From: Valerie Olivier <valcountrychick@...>

        I'm a lurker here.

        Valerie
        interesting quote....
        "The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration. "

        are there any active group members here? I have flipped over a few times the last month and have not seen any new messages. just woundering
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
          Quite a few members. They just haven't been saying much lately.

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
            I would say most of us are lurking. Say, anybody go to Reef-a-palooza?

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
              Hey Becky,

              Remember Don Plisco? Any idea what ever happened to him?

              Rich

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
                No, unfortunately, I have no idea. I was just thinking about him the other day and how much I missed his....persnicketyness:-).

                _______________________________
                From: Rich wd6esz@...

                Hey Becky,

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009
                  No, I could barely walk, my RA got worse over the summer (I am much better now) .... did you?

                  _______________________________
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 27, 2009

                    I went to rap, and had a great time… prices on coral frags were totally reasonable…  lots of prices were posted on the tank / glass, and lots of selection for zoanthid starting at 100percent

                    I saw a new coral that will start making it’s way into the lfs soon…  cant recall the latin / genus name, but the common namewill be the ‘walking coral’  it looks like a dendro, and it moves around the sand bed…it has a symbiotic relationship with a ‘’peanut worm’ that drags it around.

                    Not sure of the price.

                    Couple of the vendors were selling mp40w for 375  bucks  some vendor, socaltropical, was selling the Neptune systems apex for 350 bucks…

                    Those were show/expo prices so I am sure you wont be able to beat them anywhere.

                    Lots and lot so of people, and realy looked better then ever…

                    But. I did have two remarkable events happen…

                    The frst was a lfs that was draining the tanks into the storm drain…  this is a big no-no…  im not sure if they were directed to do that or if they did it on their own, but  draining aquariums into the storm drains leads to problems, and everyone around here knows that, especially the club…. Draining the water into the storm drain leads to the ocean, and currently we have a calerpa taxifolia problem as they don’t have any naturally predators here….

                    The other event / issue was the president of the local club that is also the promoter of the event decided he had to get something off his chest…   aparently he didn’t appreciate me voicing my opinions of him and the club  …that I made more then a year ago…

                    Seems he wanted to start drama, or rather re start drama, right there in public right at the front entrance…

                    He called me a chicken shit and accused me of working for the competition…

                    I smiled at him,  and said mater of factly, that I signed all my opinions and or emails and took full ownership of everything I said, and would have no problems in repeating those opinions in his face or anyon’s face, and simply stated that the he is using the wrong insult…

                    As for the ‘competition’ remark… well, I guess that is the root of his perceived problem… he feels that every event, marine aquarium expo, imacwest, etc. is a competition and that they are taking money out of his mouth or something …

                    Oh well, I believe that more shows/events is a good thing. where all the reefers in the community will get a chance  to see at least one store per year….  And vendors might have to cut the prices to remain competitive…

                    But for a local club to care about and or worry about competition above the benefiting of the membership and or the hobby in general is just way wrong…

                    As was his confronting me and or trying to start drama at the event at the front door……

                    oh well, being able to act professionally or cordial is just too much to ask from some people…im thinking it is a sign of weakness or that guilt is making him act irrationally….

                    Hehehe

                    But, like i said, I had a great time, and hooked up with a lot of friends…  maybe some day when the ‘club’ grows balls and decides to submit financial reports, in the same detail they demanded of the last president,  and stops hiding the money, then I will change my opinions.. but, im not going to hold my breathe for this to happen anytime soon…

                    Anyways, I return this channel to the previously viewed drama free selection of…  boredom

                  • quidproquo820@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 29, 2009
                        I like the word "persnickety", but it feels like there are even better words. Yeh, I really miss him alot. I wonder if he passed on. It feels like he was kinda old.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 29, 2009
                          Wouldn't miss it for the world. Yes it was great. Sorry to hear about your RA. Time to get the knees done?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 30, 2009
                            Nope, nothing is ready to be replaced yet. Except maybe my brain:-) For right now, I think I am on the right combination of meds. My son is going to take me to the Herp World Expo in 2 weeks, so we will see how well I will do.

                            How is your tank doing? How many gallons is it, I forget.

                            ________________________________
                            From: Rich wd6esz@...

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 30, 2009
                              I hope not, he isn't much older than I am.

                              ________________________________
                              From: Rich wd6esz@...

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                Meds like arava or condroitin?

                                You remember the pics of my tank I posted a few years ago with me swimming insided to clean the glass? Mostly the same just that I've been behind on maintenance and the softies are overtaking the hard corals.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                  I didn't think he was that young. He always seemed so... uh, sage?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                    No, Amitriptyline, Tramadol, nabumetone. Amitriptyline is for a pinched nerve, but it really helps with the arthritis and asthma too.

                                    We have let our aquariums go too. In the 75 there is only one mushroom left and a small colony of brown button polyps. There are now oodles of brittle starfish; as for fish ---One tomato clown and a yellow watchman goby.

                                    The 150.... I had to give up having it as a reef, my husband kept on getting predator fish. The only invert in the main tank is a Queen Conch.  In the sump there are the normal little guys and a rock crab (that my son's girlfriend brought back from a tide pool (in Pismo). He (the crab) moves from the sump (150) in the entry way to the sump (75) in the kitchen and back. The dogs caught him once, I think he has stayed in the 150 sump since then:-).  I can't believe that the fish we have in there have lasted so long. We got the Dragon Wrasse & Purple Tang  back in 2004.

                                    Becky Ellen
                                    ________________________________
                                    From: Rich <wd6esz@...>
                                    To: ReefKeeping@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                      When you say "he moves between the sumps", do you mean across the floor or through some piping?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                        He climbs up the electrical cord of the pumps in the sump and then down across the floor through the hallway into the kitchen and up the electrical cords of the other sump. The first time I noticed it was in the other sump, was on 1 Apr. I got really mad at my husband for playing such a prank; he said he didn't do it. The next day the crab was in the other tank. He still said he didn't do it. But... I just knew my husband was behind it.

                                        Then 1 day he was at work and I found the crab on the floor scrambling to get to the other tank.  I had to apologise big time to my husband.

                                        ________________________________
                                        When you say "he moves between the sumps", do you mean across the floor or through some piping?

                                        ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@sbcglobal .net> wrote:
                                          In the sump there are the normal little guys and a rock crab (that my son's girlfriend brought back from a tide pool (in Pismo). He (the crab) moves from the sump (150) in the entry way to the sump (75) in the kitchen and back. The dogs caught him once, I think he has stayed in the 150 sump since then:-).  I can't believe that the fish we have in there have lasted so long. We got the Dragon Wrasse & Purple Tang  back in 2004.

                                        > Becky Ellen
                                      • laurie Bedus
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                          that's fabulous! anytime my crabs have gotten out they have not had anyplace to go and...my cats eat them after playing with them :-(

                                          ____________ _________ _________ __
                                          When you say "he moves between the sumps", do you mean across the floor or through some piping?

                                          ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@sbcgloba l .net> wrote:
                                            In the sump there are the normal little guys and a rock crab (that my son's girlfriend brought back from a tide pool (in Pismo). He (the crab) moves from the sump (150) in the entry way to the sump (75) in the kitchen and back. The dogs caught him once, I think he has stayed in the 150 sump since then:-).  I can't believe that the fish we have in there have lasted so long. We got the Dragon Wrasse & Purple Tang  back in 2004.

                                          > Becky Ellen

                                        • Becky Ellen
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
                                            they are smart little critters.

                                            ________________________________
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 2, 2009
                                              What color is this rock crab? Anything like a Thai Crab?

                                              ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                              > He climbs up the electrical cord of the pumps in the sump and then down across the floor through the hallway into the kitchen and up the electrical cords of the other sump. The first time I noticed it was in the other sump, was on 1 Apr. I got really mad at my husband for playing such a prank; he said he didn't do it. The next day the crab was in the other tank. He still said he didn't do it. But... I just knew my husband was behind it.
                                              >
                                              > Then 1 day he was at work and I found the crab on the floor scrambling to get to the other tank.  I had to apologise big time to my husband.
                                              >
                                              > ________________________________

                                            • Becky Ellen
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                Well I had to  image google "Thai Crab", got a lot of gourmet cooked ones, except for this one:
                                                http://i.pbase.com/u36/paul_h/upload/29345683.lon003br.jpg

                                                my little guy looks very simular.

                                                Why?

                                                ________________________________
                                                From: Rich wd6esz@...

                                                What color is this rock crab? Anything like a Thai Crab?
                                              • RichardW
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                  Many many years ago when I worked in a fish store, we had these "Thai Crabs" which look like the image you found and perhaps yours. These things would not only climb out of their tanks and travel long distances, but seemed to be able to find water and then find a way into it. I remember this one crab that would climb out, go across the parking lot down the block across heavy traffic, into a pet shop and into a particular dog's water dish. It was only by chance a store employee brought him back to us just to do it again and again. Even after drain the dog dish, that crab found a different dog's dish to go to.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                    That is too funny. I would imagine he will get out again then, so I will look in the dogs water dish if he is missing again.

                                                    thanks Rich

                                                    From: RichardW wd6esz@...