SCMAS/Marine Depot Scratch & Dent Sale - It's Baaaack!

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2009
      From: Gregory Carroll <greg.carroll@...>
      Subject: SCMAS/Marine Depot Scratch & Dent Sale - It's Baaaack!

      SCMAS/Marine Depot Scratch & Dent Sale - It's Baaaack!
      In a troubling Economy, Reefers need a break! Here is your chance to save a good chunk of change on products that you may be looking for.

      When:
      June 13, 2009

      Time:
      10:00 am – 2:00 pm

      Location:
      Marine Depot
      14271 Corporate Drive
      Garden Grove, CA 92843

      Up to 40% below regular prices

      Name brands like Algae Free, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, AquaC, AquaChef, Artica, ASM, Azoo, Blue Life, Aqua Logic, Aqua Medic, Captive Purity, Coralife, CPR, Current USA, Digital Aquatics, Deltec, Dolphin, Ecotec, Eheim, Elos, Fission, Giesemann, Hamilton, Hydor, Instant Ocean, Iwaki, JBJ, Kent, Knop, Laguna, Little Giant, Lumatek, Maxi-Jet, Neptune Systems, Ocean Runner, Pan World, PFO, Phoenix, Precision Marine, Quiet-One, Pinpoint, Radium, Red Sea, Reeflo, Rena, Salifert, Seachem, Sedra, Spectrapure, Sunlight Supply, Tom, Tunze, UVL, Ultralife, Ushio, Via Aqua, Warner Marine, Won, XM Lighting, ……..

      Large variety of equipment like pumps, chillers, lighting, filtration systems, protien skimmers, controllers, monitors, RO/DI, test kits, and more.
      Approximately $100,000 of 'opened merchandise' that can no longer be sold as new.
      All equipment will be available for testing with AC outlets available
      Cash only, no warranty, no returns.

      Proceeds go to benefit Southern California Marine Aquarium Society.

      Don't miss these once-in-a-lifetime bargains!

      Sincerely,

      Gregory Carroll
      SCMAS President
      Greg.Carroll@...
      www.scmas.org
      www.reefapalooza.org
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2009

        Proceeds go to benefit Southern California Marine Aquarium Society.

        Please clarify…

        What proceeds?  All proceeds, some proceeds, a percentage of the proceeds?

        Is SCMAS a non profit entity?  Do they report to members?  Or is some money grab for someone who knows someone who wants to know someone??

        Certainly they aren’t on this forum or they would post this great ‘sales’ info… (which used to be called the ‘scratch and dent’ sale…  with no warranties and cash only sales)

[...]

        Greg.Carroll@ scmas.org
        www.scmas.org
        www.reefapalooza. org

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2009

          Hahahahaha

          http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1648956&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

          [quote]

          The very first MD sale that we had, I spent about $500 and came home with TREMENDOUS amount of good stuff and I was very VERY happy. Today, I came home with a few bottles of B-Ionic and spent nearly $50. I love the sale, but sadly, I have to admit that it has been downhill since the very first one. The next sale being worse than the previous, and this one was no exception. Most of the stuff were either a)Pricey, or b)Noob stuff (like Coralife fixtures, Canisters, UV sterilizers, and Autofeeders) or c)Damaged stuff. The top-name stuff were pricey. The first MD sale was successful because EVERYTHING were priced like a garage sale. Today, everything was catalogued and meticulously priced, regardless of the item appearance. For example, a smashed pH probe is still priced at $30. ($50 retail minus 60% = $30) Regardless of the appearance. I was hoping that they were willing to negotiate some of the prices and not go "by the book" because some of the items CAN BE FIXED, albeit they need some serious DIY. If I'm gonna spend THAT MUCH and STILL have to DIY, then I might as well buy it NEW. I wanted to spend more.. I really do, but the items had to be reasonable as well.[/quote]

          Very true words in deed

          The first sale was to get rid of years of returned and ‘scratched and dented’ merchandise, and to help them move.  They had motivation to get rid of stuff.  What was their motivation this time???   To give a SMALL PROCEED to a wannabe club, and to line their pockets, as they really are in it to make money after all..

          This time they needed to push the prices as high as they can get away with… Isnt that the name of our hobby?  Keep charging more until you don’t sell then start ‘bargaining’?  Why else would anyone want to charge $100/eye for chalices, (or more)

          Until us consumers/end users start speaking up and giving the feedback like the above quote and others in that thread, folks wont get it…

          MD got away with ‘advertising’ where others cant.  I have friends that have been ‘banned’ cause the mods thought they were a ‘business entity’ and didn’t pay the sponsorhip fees to Reefnazi.com But, apparently MD pays enough to do what other legit sponsors CANT do. It is all about who you know, isn’t it?