Hi. I'm new

  • muffintopped
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 14, 2009
      Hi. I'm new to your club. I am the owner of The Coral Network (thecoralnet.com) and I came in to meet other reef keeping enthusiasts.

      I have one 65 gallon aquarium, and I have one 46 gallon bowfront I am working on moving my 29 into.

      I have had freshwater fish over 30 years, but saltwater only 3.

      I am learning! Bear with me if I ask stupid questions.

      I belong to some local clubs, and have a lot of fun sharing frags with friends.

      I'm so glad to meet you all.

      :)

      Renee
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
        What kind of stuff do you have in your tanks?

        ---- muffintopped <reddingpi@...> wrote:
        > Hi. I'm new to your club. I am the owner of The Coral Network (thecoralnet.com) and I came in to meet other reef keeping enthusiasts.
        >
        > I have one 65 gallon aquarium, and I have one 46 gallon bowfront I am working on moving my 29 into.
        >
        > I have had freshwater fish over 30 years, but saltwater only 3.
        >
        > I am learning! Bear with me if I ask stupid questions.
        >
        > I belong to some local clubs, and have a lot of fun sharing frags with friends.
        >
        > I'm so glad to meet you all.
        >
        > :)
        >
        > Renee

      • RPI
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
          I have 2 saltwater aquariums. Both are reef tanks with fish and inverts,
          and anemone.

          I have one 65 gallon aquarium, with a Current Sunpod dual 150 HQI light,
          with LEDs, Aqua LifeSystems skimmer, CPR Aquafuge Pro refugium 30g, CPR
          overflow, Rio return pump 850 GPH, 2 Maxijet 1200, UV sterilizer, Coralife
          timer, Natural Wave wave-maker timer, 200 lbs of Fiji rock and Tonga, 100
          lbs of Dolomite granulated lime, 25 lbs of aragonite crushed coral, and soft
          as well as some hard corals. My corals in that aquarium are as follows:
          Striped Pulsating Xenia, Red Sea Pink Pulsing Xenia, Colt, Kenya Tree,
          Carnation Tree, 350 w heater, 1/10 chiller, Nepthea, Long Tentacled Anemone
          12" across now, Haitian Anemone with long pink bottom, Rabies Green Fuzzy
          Hard Coral (I can't remember what it's called but its name is similar to
          Hydrophobia, lol), Cabbage Leather, Green Star Polyps, Neon GSPs, Pink/Beige
          Finger Leather, Staghorn, Green Slimer, Pink Clove Polyps, Bunny Rabbit Ear
          Leather, Flower Pot Leather, Giant Green Hairy Mushroom, Purple Ricordea,
          Pink Ricordea, Green Hairy Mushrooms, Purple & Green Hairy Mushroom, Pink
          Star Polyps, Frogspawn, Toadstool, and 50 Periwinkles, 10 hermits, one Fire
          Shrimp, 6 Nassarius Snails, 100 Cerith Snails, Half Black Angel, 2 Gold
          Barred Maroon Clowns, 2 mated Royal Gramma and I can't think of much more in
          that one at this time...but I'm probably missing something, lol.

          My other tank is a 29 gallon with 75 lbs of live rock, Bowl, Fiji and Tonga,
          a Prizm skimmer, HOB filter, Aqualight Pro HQI 150 + 2 65w Coralife Actinic
          & 250 watt heater, moonlights, ballast, 30 lbs of live aragonite, Frags are:
          Valentine's Day Massacre Palys, Gorilla Nipples Zoas, Monkey Butt Zoas, Blue
          Purple Puddles Zoas, Green Purlpe Puddles Zoas, Anthea, Leathers listed
          above, Xenia listed above, Pnk Clove Polyps, Rabbit Ear Leather, Purple
          Ricordea and Pink Ricordea, GSPs listed above, some orange unidentified
          zoas, Dragon Eye Zoas, Electric Dragon Eye Zoas, 1 pair of Maroon Clowns,
          one Blue Lined Blenny, One Bullseye Dragonet, 1 Firefish, 25 Periwinkles, 1
          Margarita snail (better cleaner than ALL 25 periwinkles together), 10
          Nassarius Snails (they are breeders, so I kind of just let them breed in
          there), a Green Rose Bubble Tipped Anemone, Anemone Crab, 1 1200 Maxijet,
          and I am adding a 15g sump this week to it, when I move everything that is
          in it, over to my new 46 bowfront, after I get the seams redone in it and
          the awful blue background off of it.

          So, I have 2 tanks running. I will be adding LED strip lights to the setups
          and when I do, upgrading the 46 from Halide to LED only. I will use it
          primarly as a frag tank, like I use it now, and to grow my zoos and palys.
          I did find a place to purchase my LEDs for a reasonable price, and just got
          my friend Laurie hers for under $100 (one is 48" 14k white, and one blue
          5000k to add to her T5s till she can afford to get a full spectrum).

          Right now, my 29 has flatworms, although they are one tenth what they began
          as...and I am working to rid it of them.

          Although I've kept salt only 3 years, I spent most of my life dreaming of
          it, so I didn't go in fully blinded, but I have sure suffered loss,
          regardless.

          I have gone through the usual newbie stuff...using tapwater, not testing,
          not listening to advice of more educated people, rushing into things,
          anemones too soon, overheating, etc.

          I think that's how we often have to learn.

          It's good to meet you all. :)
          Renee

          > What kind of stuff do you have in your tanks?
          >

          > ---- muffintopped <reddingpi@...> wrote:
          >> Hi. I'm new to your club. I am the owner of The Coral Network
          >> (thecoralnet.com) and I came in to meet other reef keeping enthusiasts.
          >>
          >> I have one 65 gallon aquarium, and I have one 46 gallon bowfront I am
          >> working on moving my 29 into.
          >>
          >> I have had freshwater fish over 30 years, but saltwater only 3.
          >>
          >> I am learning! Bear with me if I ask stupid questions.
          >>
          >> I belong to some local clubs, and have a lot of fun sharing frags with
          >> friends.
          >>
          >> I'm so glad to meet you all.
          >>
          >> :)
          >>
          >> Renee

          > signature database 3936 (20090313) __________

          > http://www.eset.com

        • Tony Sullivan
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
            welcome Renne
                Welcome to our happy clan. sounds like your well on your way in the world of salt water. Just remember there are so stupid questions only stupid answers.
                                 Reef on Tee

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
              Hi Clan!

              Thanks so much.  :)  I love talking about fish.

              It's nice to meet you also and thanks for being so welcoming.  I feel at home already.

              With that said, any tips on getting rid of teeny beige flatworms?  I've got a dragonet in there now (about 2 weeks as my new pet) and I have been siphoning them off the glass, but I still see a few and I've got to move the tank over to the 46 gallon and the last thing I want to is to transfer flatworms to the new bowfront aquarium, and/or to kill my copepod beds (which my dragonet has been eating like a little polka-dotted piglet) and then to lose her...because she is ultra-cute.

              Also, I have a Stomatella hatch...hundred to two-hundred on the glass in another tank.  All grow fascinatingly fast and have probably reached a quarter inch already.  Do people buy them?  I have the white as well as the brown and reddish brown kinds.  I've got some spawning videos of them as well.

              Thanks,
              Renee
                  Welcome to our happy clan. sounds like your well on your way in the world of salt water. Just remember there are so stupid questions only stupid answers.
                                   Reef on Tee

              Hi. I'm new to your club. I am the owner of The Coral Network (thecoralnet. com) and I came in to meet other reef keeping enthusiasts.

              I have one 65 gallon aquarium, and I have one 46 gallon bowfront I am working on moving my 29 into.

              I have had freshwater fish over 30 years, but saltwater only 3.

              I am learning! Bear with me if I ask stupid questions.

              I belong to some local clubs, and have a lot of fun sharing frags with friends.

              I'm so glad to meet you all.

              :)

              Renee

              __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3936 (20090313) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • Rich
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 16, 2009
                Plus I would say that there is more to life than just questions and answers. Sometimes it's just nice to talk about or see somebody's tank!

                ---- Tony Sullivan <teebonehead2424@...> wrote:
                > welcome Renne
                >     Welcome to our happy clan. sounds like your well on your way in the world of salt water. Just remember there are so stupid questions only stupid answers.
                >                      Reef on Tee

              • reeferret
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 16, 2009
                  Nice tanks! Do you have any pictures to show us?

                • reeferret
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 16, 2009
                    I'm sure there are people who would want to buy your Stomatella. Heck, even I'd be interested. How much do you think you want to charge?

                    --- In ReefKeeping@yahoogroups.com, "RPI" <reddingpi@...> wrote:
                    > Hi Clan!
                    >
                    > Thanks so much. :) I love talking about fish.
                    >
                    > It's nice to meet you also and thanks for being so welcoming. I feel at home already.
                    >
                    > With that said, any tips on getting rid of teeny beige flatworms? I've got a dragonet in there now (about 2 weeks as my new pet) and I have been siphoning them off the glass, but I still see a few and I've got to move the tank over to the 46 gallon and the last thing I want to is to transfer flatworms to the new bowfront aquarium, and/or to kill my copepod beds (which my dragonet has been eating like a little polka-dotted piglet) and then to lose her...because she is ultra-cute.
                    >
                    > Also, I have a Stomatella hatch...hundred to two-hundred on the glass in another tank. All grow fascinatingly fast and have probably reached a quarter inch already. Do people buy them? I have the white as well as the brown and reddish brown kinds. I've got some spawning videos of them as well.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Renee

                  • RPI
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
                      Sure. This is my 65, and this is my 29. I am cutting seams on the bowfront
                      this week, because they look like a dog took bites out of them all the way
                      down the front, lol. And, then I am re-seaming them.

                      Here is my 65 and my 29 (taken with my cellphone. The only one I have
                      available of it right now). Photos are attached.

                      Renee

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
                        PS- My 29 isn't dirty. That is the awful cell phone layer of "haze" I get
                        on images, lol. My 29 also doesn't have any green algae. That's green
                        Coralline. :) A variation we seem to get a lot of out here.