Question for the group

  • trandall55
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2, 2008
      I have a pre-fab sump/filtration system. A brief description....
      Tower, return water enters and sprays down over a lot of live rock in
      the first tower section. When purchased, it was set up and filled
      with bio-balls but thanks to you guys, I quickly got rid of those and
      filled that void with live rock. Then, under that there's sort of a
      water filled void where I stuck my heaters to get them out of the
      way. Next to this tower is another section of my sump that holds my
      protein skimmer and two return pumps etc. BUT! And this is my
      question.....before the water enters the second chamber, it passes
      through a larger rectangular block of foam, then enters second
      section.

      Not sure why it hasn't occured to me but do you think I should get
      rid of the foam block altogether? I do clean it from time to time but
      surely not on a regular basis. Not sure what the purpose of it is
      except perhaps to keep larger particulate matter from entering the
      second chamber, return pumps, skimmer etc.

      My nitrates are *fairly* stable especially since I added a refugium
      with mud, macro, critters, etc. but every once in a while they will
      rise a bit.

      Do you think I need that foam block at all? If so and it's
      beneficial, I'll keep it and make sure I clean it much more
      frequently. but if it serves no real purpose, I'll toss it.

      Thanks in advance for your input!

      Terri~
    • Bill Bergovoy
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2008

        And the answer is…

        the foam is for catching the large particulate… ding ding ding… you win the grand prize… hehehe

        you can leave it, but I would suggest cleaning it often… (twice a week)… if you don’t like that, or that is too often, then get rid of the foam, and then use foam or floss or other filter material, when you want a more clear tank…  Before picture day???  Before a party at your house when you want folks to ewww and ahhhh

        good luck

        bill

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 3, 2008
          It is hard to say without seeing it in person. One possibility is the foam catches/reduces micro-bubbles that would otherwise result in that "hazy" water syndrome that occurs when a pump cavitates or sucks in bubbles in the water supply.

          Rich
          ---- trandall55 <randall@...> wrote:
          > I have a pre-fab sump/filtration system. A brief description....
          > Tower, return water enters and sprays down over a lot of live rock in
          > the first tower section. When purchased, it was set up and filled
          > with bio-balls but thanks to you guys, I quickly got rid of those and
          > filled that void with live rock. Then, under that there's sort of a
          > water filled void where I stuck my heaters to get them out of the
          > way. Next to this tower is another section of my sump that holds my
          > protein skimmer and two return pumps etc. BUT! And this is my
          > question.....before the water enters the second chamber, it passes
          > through a larger rectangular block of foam, then enters second
          > section.
          >
          > Not sure why it hasn't occured to me but do you think I should get
          > rid of the foam block altogether? I do clean it from time to time but
          > surely not on a regular basis. Not sure what the purpose of it is
          > except perhaps to keep larger particulate matter from entering the
          > second chamber, return pumps, skimmer etc.
          >
          > My nitrates are *fairly* stable especially since I added a refugium
          > with mud, macro, critters, etc. but every once in a while they will
          > rise a bit.
          >
          > Do you think I need that foam block at all? If so and it's
          > beneficial, I'll keep it and make sure I clean it much more
          > frequently. but if it serves no real purpose, I'll toss it.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your input!
          >
          > Terri~

        • Terri Randall
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 3, 2008
            Good idea. I took the insert and my blue/white filter pads out last night. they REALLY needed cleaning. I may leave them out for a few days and see what if anything transpires with my tank water since I now have a better skimmer.

            Like you said, I can always stick them back in.

            Thanks Bill~

            Terri Randall
            Creature Comforts Pet Care
            Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
            APS List Owner

            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 3, 2008

              No problem..

              Do a test or two after a water change (without the pads), and see if there is any changes…

              Gl

              Good idea. I took the insert and my blue/white filter pads out last night. they REALLY needed cleaning. I may leave them out for a few days and see what if anything transpires with my tank water since I now have a better skimmer.

              Like you said, I can always stick them back in.

              Thanks Bill~

              Terri Randall

              Creature Comforts Pet Care

              Sheridan, Wyoming 82801

              www.GotPaws. net

              APS List Owner

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 5, 2008
                Tonight I peeked at the tank after lights-out and saw hundreds of the little(~1"diameter) brittle stars floating around the tank. I know there are thousands in the tank, but have never seen them take off en masse like this. Anybody know what this behaviour is about?

                Rich
              • Becky Ellen
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 13, 2008
                  I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?

                  Becky Ellen

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 14, 2008
                    That would be my first uneducated guess as well. I was hoping there was a star expert out here that could explain indepthly the hows and mechanics of the whole process. Also, what is it that sets them off all at once?

                    Rich
                    ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                    > I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?
                    >
                    > Becky Ellen

                  • Jeff Davison
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 14, 2008

                      Hey Rich Jeff Davison a reefer for 12 years. Bristle stars are nocturnal and are coming out to feed at night. Your bristle star Sleeping half-moon emoticon must have breeded. I have similar behavior in my 180. At night thousands and I mean thousands of snails about 3/16" dia. come out onto the glass and rocks to feed. I only have about 8 Scarlet hermits and 3 huge turbo snails as a clean up crew, The little snails keep my rocks sparkling clean.
                      Jeff

                      ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@sbcglobal .net> wrote:
                      > I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?
                      >
                      > Becky Ellen

                    • Rich
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 14, 2008
                        Hi Jeff,

                        If the stars are feeding then why only the one time? I often check the tank during the night and have seen alot of strange stuff, but this is the ONLY ONE time I have seen the stars do this.

                        Rich
                        > Hey Rich Jeff Davison a reefer for 12 years. Bristle stars are nocturnal and are coming out to feed at night. Your bristle star must have breeded. I have similar behavior in my 180. At night thousands and I mean thousands of snails about 3/16" dia. come out onto the glass and rocks to feed. I only have about 8 Scarlet hermits and 3 huge turbo snails as a clean up crew, The little snails keep my rocks sparkling clean.
                        > Jeff

                      • Jeff Davison
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008

                          They may have been newly born stars  then eaten by predators that night or the next day, I am am not a marine biologist but that is my guess.
                          Jeff
                          If the stars are feeding then why only the one time? I often check the tank during the night and have seen alot of strange stuff, but this is the ONLY ONE time I have seen the stars do this.

                          Rich
                          > Hey Rich Jeff Davison a reefer for 12 years. Bristle stars are nocturnal and are coming out to feed at night. Your bristle star must have breeded. I have similar behavior in my 180. At night thousands and I mean thousands of snails about 3/16" dia. come out onto the glass and rocks to feed. I only have about 8 Scarlet hermits and 3 huge turbo snails as a clean up crew, The little snails keep my rocks sparkling clean.
                          > Jeff

                        • Becky Ellen
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                            Ok, my curriosity got the best of me and did some research:

                            Brittle Stars spawn en masse
                            http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2003/00000072/00000003/art00015

                            Becky Ellen
                            any web sites posted are for information only, and are not a recommendation
                            for the company or the products sold at that site.

                            That would be my first uneducated guess as well. I was hoping there was a
                            star expert out here that could explain indepthly the hows and mechanics of
                            the whole process. Also, what is it that sets them off all at once?

                            Rich
                            ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                            > I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?
                            >
                            > Becky Ellen

                          • Rich
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                              Hey Jeff,

                              I like your guess. The only thing is that these were not new born. They were quite visible to the naked eye. They appeared to be the specie of adult that is about an inch diameter and occupy nearly ever aphotic nook and crevice in the tank. The weird thing is HOW do they become bouyant and appear to swim so?

                              Rich
                              > They may have been newly born stars then eaten by predators that night or the next day, I am am not a marine biologist but that is my guess.
                              > Jeff

                            • Rich
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                                The only problem is that article refers to red serpent and ruby brittle stars which do exhibit typical broadcast spawning as is so common among echinoderms.

                                IF they were spawning, then why 'broadcast' themselves around the tank in that manner. Seems like it would merely lead to increase in predation of the adults.

                                ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                > Ok, my curriosity got the best of me and did some research:
                                >
                                > Brittle Stars spawn en masse
                                > http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2003/00000072/00000003/art00015
                                >
                                > Becky Ellen
                                > any web sites posted are for information only, and are not a recommendation
                                > for the company or the products sold at that site.

                              • Rich
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                                  But that article does bring to mind one very significant factor.
                                  My tank is illuminated by solar tube from the sky. I suppose it is possible the stars received some sort of lunar cue to do their thing.

                                  Of course my big dream WAS to induce mass spawning of corals; but I have yet to see that happen in my tank.

                                  ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                  > Ok, my curriosity got the best of me and did some research:
                                  >
                                  > Brittle Stars spawn en masse
                                  > http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2003/00000072/00000003/art00015
                                  >
                                  > Becky Ellen
                                  > any web sites posted are for information only, and are not a recommendation
                                  > for the company or the products sold at that site.

                                • Jeff Davison
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 17, 2008

                                    Hey Rich,
                                    I would suggest joining a reef club in your area if there is one and bring this up at a meeting, I am stumped. I have had a brown serpent star in my 180 for about 8 years and that is the only one I have ever seen.
                                    Good luck.

                                  • quidproquo820@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 17, 2008

                                      Hello Everyone,

                                      There are two HUGE shows coming up in Southern California that everyone should be aware of:

                                      1)  "Reef-A-Palooza" (RAP) in October 2008:  http://www.reefapalooza.org/
                                      and
                                      2)  "Marine Aquarium Expo" (MAX) in April 2009:  http://www.marineaquariumexpo.com/

                                      RAP is a giant frag swap and MAX is a consumer/trade show.  Both have speakers, raffles, workshops, etc. and cover an entire weekend.  MAX has a third day (Fri) for industry professionals and business owners only.

                                      Anyone and EVERYONE who is in the marine aquarium hobby should make it a HIGH PRIORITY to attend one or both of these two incredible events.  MAX and RAP are both at the OC Fair & Event Center in Costa Mesa CA:  http://ocfair.com/ocf/

                                      Hobbyists and exhibitors alike come from all over the nation to attend these shows.  It is well worth your time to make it a mini vacation and attend.  Entrance fees are only $10 for adults and Free for kids 12 and under. You do NOT want to miss these events.....trust me!

                                      Kevin Adams

                                    • Becky Ellen
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 17, 2008
                                        Hi Jeff,
                                        You probably have fish or other critters in your tank that eat these little
                                        ones that Rich is talking about. They are the little tiny ones that hitch
                                        hike on live rock. The main body, ususally, is smaller than a head of a pin
                                        and with arms stretched out are maybe about .5 of an inch; I have some that
                                        are larger. The ones that are common (probably 1000s) in my 75 (reef) are
                                        white, or white with black stripes. I haven't seen any in the 150 (FOWLR).
                                        They hide in the crushed coral and liverock.

                                        I still think it was the once-a-year spawing that Rich just happen to see.
                                        The corals will do it one night, sometime in October.

                                        Becky Ellen