Question for the group

  • Terri A. Randall
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 6, 2008
      I'm curious....On average, do you feed more frozen/fresh foods or
      flake/pellet dried foods?

      Aproximately how many times a week do you feed fresh or frozen foods?

      How often do you feed flakes & pellets.

      Do you have a reason < besides easier or faster> for choosing to feed
      one over the other?

      Thank you for your responses.
      Terri Randall
    • Bill Bergovoy
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 6, 2008

        Hello stranger…  J

        I feed my tank twice a day, (sometimes once)

        Mornings is a pinch of flake.

        Evening is a cube of homemade frozen food.

        I saved several frozen food cube trays, and washed them well.  (I use four trays actually).   I buy two scallops, and two large shrimp, (or the equivalent mass).  I then freeze them for about 15 minutes prior to processing them.

        Then I clean the shrimp, (de-shell), and throw all the seafood into the food processor, and three sheets of nori, a tsp of vitamins and other additive junk, some fresh garlic, some zoe, and whatever else I have handy…

        I pulse it a half dozen times or so.  IF you run it too long, it will build up heat and cook the fish, That would not be as good or healthy for the fishies…  I blend it until it is spreadable, but still has lumps, (size dependent on your fishies’ little mouths)

        Then spread the mix into those clean trays.  Then I put them into a zip loc bag until frozen.  I then use my ‘seal-a-meal’ and they will last me a couple of months…

        Not bad for about $3-4 worth of fish and stuff

        I also don’t rinse my frozen cube out before feeding…

        It makes the fish ‘attack’ the cube to rip it to shreds.  Feeding frenzy action…

        My tank is crystal clear about 5-10 minutes after feeding…  and the skimmer is not over acting..

        Good luck

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 6, 2008
          Hi Bill~ Good to hear from you.  Thanks I always appreciate your input. My tank is doing great. My fish are healthy and happy, levels great and my corals are doing very well too. Although..... I did lose my Purple Plate coral :0(   I don't know why? He seemed to be doing so well and then out of the blue, started bleaching and turned white. Then, of course the crabs took over....oh well, I guess that is their job.

          The only thing I can think of is it just couldn't handle the *reef safe* ick treatment I used. That's another LONG story. Everything else was fine and it worked very well < that and then running my diatom filter, another toy.... ;0) >. I noticed that when I would treat the tank, the plate would really slime up. Everything else did very well and my gorgeous Purple Tang , <who I could NOT get out of my tank > is now healthy, spot free, eating like a pig, etc.

          So Bill....you don't thaw your frozen cubes before putting into your tank then? I've been thawing mine first and mixing with a bit of Garlic extreme. Feeding the food frozen isn't a problem?

          I've got another fish order pending with the guys at Vivid. They have been fantastic by the way and their stock is healthy and beautiful. They'll be shipping my babies on Monday. Can't wait!!

          Terri Randall
          Creature Comforts Pet Care
          Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
          APS List Owner

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2008

            Glad to hear things are doing well.  Sorry to hear about the fungia. I want a purple one or purple rimmed plate…  I have a ‘brite’ orange/pink plate now.  It is pushing a baby off of it right now.  It has been about two months, and I am wondering how long it is supposed to take?   It looks like a dime sized piece is growing right out from the edge…  The flesh inflates around it, like it is pushing it off.  The baby has a full mouth, and little tentacles…

            I cant wait…

            On the store bought frozen, I would probably thaw and rinse, cause you don’t know what else is in the mix, or other holding tank water or ???  But for my recipe, it is all fish and fish guts…

            The fish don’t seem to mind the cold, and the vlamingi, is a PIG.  I usually let him get one or two bites, then I have to chase him away…

            The other issue is trying to feed the fish but not the cleaner shrimp… I want them to eat off the fish, but if they are full and content, they have no motivation…  But when they are in the mood, they jump on the backs of my fish and take them for a spin around the tank…

            Well, okay, not all the way around…

            Glad to hear vivid is taking care of you, they are a good company…  You might also want to look into liveaquaria dot com   They have a 14 day stay alive guarantee… Most places are just DOA only…

            Anyway, good to hear from you… ttul

            Bill

[...]

            www.GotPaws. net

            APS List Owner

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2008
              Thanks Bill. I have ordered from Liveaquaria.com too. Another great company. Very pleased with them as well. The Vivid guys, besides the *arrive alive* guarantee, they also have a 15 day guarantee on most all their stock with the exception of some of the most delicate species.

              And I ordered a great  *Mushroom Rock* from Totallyexoticcorals.com. They called is a *Fantastic Rock*. Really nice piece! It has some great zoas and about 5 different kinds/colors of mushrooms on it. Looks great.

              I'd LOVE to see a pic of your plate pushing the baby outta the nest so to speak.
              Take care~

              Terri Randall
              Creature Comforts Pet Care
              Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
              APS List Owner

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 7, 2008
                We feed a little flake and some pellets in the morning ... then in the
                evening we spot feed all of our corals with either our homemade food ..
                cube mysis ... or prime reef we switch it up everyday. The fish get
                what the corals miss. Oh and I just put a video of our tank up on
                youtube if anyone feels like checkin it out. :)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWqWIB3Ntko

                --- In ReefKeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Terri A. Randall" <randall@...>
                wrote:

                > I'm curious....On average, do you feed more frozen/fresh foods or
                > flake/pellet dried foods?
                >
                > Aproximately how many times a week do you feed fresh or frozen foods?
                >
                > How often do you feed flakes & pellets.
                >
                > Do you have a reason < besides easier or faster> for choosing to feed
                > one over the other?
                >
                > Thank you for your responses.
                > Terri Randall

              • Terri Randall
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 7, 2008
                  Loved your video! Thanks for sharing. Loved the background music too! :0)

                  Terri Randall
                  Creature Comforts Pet Care
                  Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
                  www.GotPaws.net
                  APS List Owner

                  wrote:

                  > I'm curious....On average, do you feed more frozen/fresh foods or
                  > flake/pellet dried foods?
                  >
                  > Aproximately how many times a week do you feed fresh or frozen foods?
                  >
                  > How often do you feed flakes & pellets.
                  >
                  > Do you have a reason < besides easier or faster> for choosing to feed
                  > one over the other?
                  >
                  > Thank you for your responses.
                  > Terri Randall

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Bill Bergovoy
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 7, 2008

                    NICE

                    I guess I will try the video thing next time…

                    I like your tank.

                    Bill

                    wrote:

                    > I'm curious....On average, do you feed more frozen/fresh foods or
                    > flake/pellet dried foods?
                    >
                    > Aproximately how many times a week do you feed fresh or frozen foods?
                    >
                    > How often do you feed flakes & pellets.
                    >
                    > Do you have a reason < besides easier or faster> for choosing to
                    feed
                    > one over the other?
                    >
                    > Thank you for your responses.
                    > Terri Randall

                  • tracy downes

                      wrote:

                      > I'm curious....On average, do you feed more frozen/fresh foods or
                      > flake/pellet dried foods?
                      >
                      > Aproximately how many times a week do you feed fresh or frozen foods?
                      >
                      > How often do you feed flakes & pellets.
                      >
                      > Do you have a reason < besides easier or faster> for choosing to feed
                      > one over the other?
                      >
                      > Thank you for your responses.
                      > Terri Randall

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • trandall55
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2, 2008
                        I have a pre-fab sump/filtration system. A brief description....
                        Tower, return water enters and sprays down over a lot of live rock in
                        the first tower section. When purchased, it was set up and filled
                        with bio-balls but thanks to you guys, I quickly got rid of those and
                        filled that void with live rock. Then, under that there's sort of a
                        water filled void where I stuck my heaters to get them out of the
                        way. Next to this tower is another section of my sump that holds my
                        protein skimmer and two return pumps etc. BUT! And this is my
                        question.....before the water enters the second chamber, it passes
                        through a larger rectangular block of foam, then enters second
                        section.

                        Not sure why it hasn't occured to me but do you think I should get
                        rid of the foam block altogether? I do clean it from time to time but
                        surely not on a regular basis. Not sure what the purpose of it is
                        except perhaps to keep larger particulate matter from entering the
                        second chamber, return pumps, skimmer etc.

                        My nitrates are *fairly* stable especially since I added a refugium
                        with mud, macro, critters, etc. but every once in a while they will
                        rise a bit.

                        Do you think I need that foam block at all? If so and it's
                        beneficial, I'll keep it and make sure I clean it much more
                        frequently. but if it serves no real purpose, I'll toss it.

                        Thanks in advance for your input!

                        Terri~
                      • Bill Bergovoy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 2, 2008

                          And the answer is…

                          the foam is for catching the large particulate… ding ding ding… you win the grand prize… hehehe

                          you can leave it, but I would suggest cleaning it often… (twice a week)… if you don’t like that, or that is too often, then get rid of the foam, and then use foam or floss or other filter material, when you want a more clear tank…  Before picture day???  Before a party at your house when you want folks to ewww and ahhhh

                          good luck

                          bill

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 3, 2008
                            It is hard to say without seeing it in person. One possibility is the foam catches/reduces micro-bubbles that would otherwise result in that "hazy" water syndrome that occurs when a pump cavitates or sucks in bubbles in the water supply.

                            Rich
                            ---- trandall55 <randall@...> wrote:
                            > I have a pre-fab sump/filtration system. A brief description....
                            > Tower, return water enters and sprays down over a lot of live rock in
                            > the first tower section. When purchased, it was set up and filled
                            > with bio-balls but thanks to you guys, I quickly got rid of those and
                            > filled that void with live rock. Then, under that there's sort of a
                            > water filled void where I stuck my heaters to get them out of the
                            > way. Next to this tower is another section of my sump that holds my
                            > protein skimmer and two return pumps etc. BUT! And this is my
                            > question.....before the water enters the second chamber, it passes
                            > through a larger rectangular block of foam, then enters second
                            > section.
                            >
                            > Not sure why it hasn't occured to me but do you think I should get
                            > rid of the foam block altogether? I do clean it from time to time but
                            > surely not on a regular basis. Not sure what the purpose of it is
                            > except perhaps to keep larger particulate matter from entering the
                            > second chamber, return pumps, skimmer etc.
                            >
                            > My nitrates are *fairly* stable especially since I added a refugium
                            > with mud, macro, critters, etc. but every once in a while they will
                            > rise a bit.
                            >
                            > Do you think I need that foam block at all? If so and it's
                            > beneficial, I'll keep it and make sure I clean it much more
                            > frequently. but if it serves no real purpose, I'll toss it.
                            >
                            > Thanks in advance for your input!
                            >
                            > Terri~

                          • Terri Randall
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 3, 2008
                              Good idea. I took the insert and my blue/white filter pads out last night. they REALLY needed cleaning. I may leave them out for a few days and see what if anything transpires with my tank water since I now have a better skimmer.

                              Like you said, I can always stick them back in.

                              Thanks Bill~

                              Terri Randall
                              Creature Comforts Pet Care
                              Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
                              APS List Owner

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 3, 2008

                                No problem..

                                Do a test or two after a water change (without the pads), and see if there is any changes…

                                Gl

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 5, 2008
                                  Tonight I peeked at the tank after lights-out and saw hundreds of the little(~1"diameter) brittle stars floating around the tank. I know there are thousands in the tank, but have never seen them take off en masse like this. Anybody know what this behaviour is about?

                                  Rich
                                • Becky Ellen
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 13, 2008
                                    I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?

                                    Becky Ellen

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 14, 2008
                                      That would be my first uneducated guess as well. I was hoping there was a star expert out here that could explain indepthly the hows and mechanics of the whole process. Also, what is it that sets them off all at once?

                                      Rich
                                      ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                      > I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?
                                      >
                                      > Becky Ellen

                                    • Jeff Davison
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 14, 2008

                                        Hey Rich Jeff Davison a reefer for 12 years. Bristle stars are nocturnal and are coming out to feed at night. Your bristle star Sleeping half-moon emoticon must have breeded. I have similar behavior in my 180. At night thousands and I mean thousands of snails about 3/16" dia. come out onto the glass and rocks to feed. I only have about 8 Scarlet hermits and 3 huge turbo snails as a clean up crew, The little snails keep my rocks sparkling clean.
                                        Jeff

                                        ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@sbcglobal .net> wrote:
                                        > I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?
                                        >
                                        > Becky Ellen

                                      • Rich
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 14, 2008
                                          Hi Jeff,

                                          If the stars are feeding then why only the one time? I often check the tank during the night and have seen alot of strange stuff, but this is the ONLY ONE time I have seen the stars do this.

                                          Rich
                                          > Hey Rich Jeff Davison a reefer for 12 years. Bristle stars are nocturnal and are coming out to feed at night. Your bristle star must have breeded. I have similar behavior in my 180. At night thousands and I mean thousands of snails about 3/16" dia. come out onto the glass and rocks to feed. I only have about 8 Scarlet hermits and 3 huge turbo snails as a clean up crew, The little snails keep my rocks sparkling clean.
                                          > Jeff

                                        • Jeff Davison
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008

                                            They may have been newly born stars  then eaten by predators that night or the next day, I am am not a marine biologist but that is my guess.
                                            Jeff
                                            If the stars are feeding then why only the one time? I often check the tank during the night and have seen alot of strange stuff, but this is the ONLY ONE time I have seen the stars do this.

                                            Rich
                                            > Hey Rich Jeff Davison a reefer for 12 years. Bristle stars are nocturnal and are coming out to feed at night. Your bristle star must have breeded. I have similar behavior in my 180. At night thousands and I mean thousands of snails about 3/16" dia. come out onto the glass and rocks to feed. I only have about 8 Scarlet hermits and 3 huge turbo snails as a clean up crew, The little snails keep my rocks sparkling clean.
                                            > Jeff

                                          • Becky Ellen
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                                              Ok, my curriosity got the best of me and did some research:

                                              Brittle Stars spawn en masse
                                              http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2003/00000072/00000003/art00015

                                              Becky Ellen
                                              any web sites posted are for information only, and are not a recommendation
                                              for the company or the products sold at that site.

                                              That would be my first uneducated guess as well. I was hoping there was a
                                              star expert out here that could explain indepthly the hows and mechanics of
                                              the whole process. Also, what is it that sets them off all at once?

                                              Rich
                                              ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                              > I have an uneducated guess.....Breeding season?
                                              >
                                              > Becky Ellen

                                            • Rich
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                                                Hey Jeff,

                                                I like your guess. The only thing is that these were not new born. They were quite visible to the naked eye. They appeared to be the specie of adult that is about an inch diameter and occupy nearly ever aphotic nook and crevice in the tank. The weird thing is HOW do they become bouyant and appear to swim so?

                                                Rich
                                                > They may have been newly born stars then eaten by predators that night or the next day, I am am not a marine biologist but that is my guess.
                                                > Jeff

                                              • Rich
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                                                  The only problem is that article refers to red serpent and ruby brittle stars which do exhibit typical broadcast spawning as is so common among echinoderms.

                                                  IF they were spawning, then why 'broadcast' themselves around the tank in that manner. Seems like it would merely lead to increase in predation of the adults.

                                                  ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                                  > Ok, my curriosity got the best of me and did some research:
                                                  >
                                                  > Brittle Stars spawn en masse
                                                  > http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2003/00000072/00000003/art00015
                                                  >
                                                  > Becky Ellen
                                                  > any web sites posted are for information only, and are not a recommendation
                                                  > for the company or the products sold at that site.

                                                • Rich
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 16, 2008
                                                    But that article does bring to mind one very significant factor.
                                                    My tank is illuminated by solar tube from the sky. I suppose it is possible the stars received some sort of lunar cue to do their thing.

                                                    Of course my big dream WAS to induce mass spawning of corals; but I have yet to see that happen in my tank.

                                                    ---- Becky Ellen <majormaam@...> wrote:
                                                    > Ok, my curriosity got the best of me and did some research:
                                                    >
                                                    > Brittle Stars spawn en masse
                                                    > http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/umrsmas/bullmar/2003/00000072/00000003/art00015
                                                    >
                                                    > Becky Ellen
                                                    > any web sites posted are for information only, and are not a recommendation
                                                    > for the company or the products sold at that site.

                                                  • Jeff Davison
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 17, 2008

                                                      Hey Rich,
                                                      I would suggest joining a reef club in your area if there is one and bring this up at a meeting, I am stumped. I have had a brown serpent star in my 180 for about 8 years and that is the only one I have ever seen.
                                                      Good luck.

                                                    • quidproquo820@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 17, 2008

                                                        Hello Everyone,

                                                        There are two HUGE shows coming up in Southern California that everyone should be aware of:

                                                        1)  "Reef-A-Palooza" (RAP) in October 2008:  http://www.reefapalooza.org/
                                                        and
                                                        2)  "Marine Aquarium Expo" (MAX) in April 2009:  http://www.marineaquariumexpo.com/

                                                        RAP is a giant frag swap and MAX is a consumer/trade show.  Both have speakers, raffles, workshops, etc. and cover an entire weekend.  MAX has a third day (Fri) for industry professionals and business owners only.

                                                        Anyone and EVERYONE who is in the marine aquarium hobby should make it a HIGH PRIORITY to attend one or both of these two incredible events.  MAX and RAP are both at the OC Fair & Event Center in Costa Mesa CA:  http://ocfair.com/ocf/

                                                        Hobbyists and exhibitors alike come from all over the nation to attend these shows.  It is well worth your time to make it a mini vacation and attend.  Entrance fees are only $10 for adults and Free for kids 12 and under. You do NOT want to miss these events.....trust me!

                                                        Kevin Adams

                                                      • Becky Ellen
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 17, 2008
                                                          Hi Jeff,
                                                          You probably have fish or other critters in your tank that eat these little
                                                          ones that Rich is talking about. They are the little tiny ones that hitch
                                                          hike on live rock. The main body, ususally, is smaller than a head of a pin
                                                          and with arms stretched out are maybe about .5 of an inch; I have some that
                                                          are larger. The ones that are common (probably 1000s) in my 75 (reef) are
                                                          white, or white with black stripes. I haven't seen any in the 150 (FOWLR).
                                                          They hide in the crushed coral and liverock.

                                                          I still think it was the once-a-year spawing that Rich just happen to see.
                                                          The corals will do it one night, sometime in October.

                                                          Becky Ellen