A couple questions......

  • Terri A. Randall
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
      My tank is all set up, doing wonderfully, fully cycled in, etc. I
      ordered a clea-up crew, snails and hermits and they have done a great
      job in cleaning up the diatoms, algae, etc. Fist question....now that
      they've cleaned up my tank so beautifully, should I be feeding them
      something? doesn't look like there's much left in there for them at
      this point.

      Now...the stocking question...

      My tank is a FOWLR system. I am primarily interested in the somewhat
      larger aggressive species.

      I'd like to put a larger Angel, perhaps a Passer, or emperator, a
      tang or two, a trigger, puffer, lion, a wrasse and a harlequin tusk.

      Those are some of my favorites at any rate. Do any of you see a
      problem with that line-up? With most all of them, *they* say *add
      last* after your other fish are already established. Well.... I can't
      add them all last. I need to start somewhere. Does the fish species
      I'm considering sound o.k.? I have a 210 gallon system by the way.

      Also.... I'm assuming if I do add the fish I mentioned, my tank will
      end up being a large buffet for the puffer, trigger etc. as far as
      the snails and crabs are concerned. I assume they will kill them
      all ? I really don't have anywhere else to put them at this point.

      So...suggestions as to my fish selection? Who to add first, last, etc.
      Thoughts anyone?

      Thank you in advance
      Terri Randall
    • Jeff Davison

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
          155 total between the two. More crabs than snails < 105 crabs & 50 snails>,I ordered the standard algae clean up crew from www.liveaquaria.com   This is the one....   http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=520

          Even though I have a 210 gallon tank, I ordered the 125 gallon pack. I figured that was plenty and I was right! They cleaned the tank right up.

          But now....what to feed them? I know many will become food themselves, at some point but I don't want them to starve in the meantime.

          Terri Randall
          Creature Comforts Pet Care
          Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
          APS List Owner

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
            You could try some of Mark Weiss Black Powder. Soft corals go wild immediately after adding this stuff and the crabs love it to. When feeding your Formula 1 cubes use a small medicine dropper to brake up into fine particles, the crabs will devour it, you wont be able to see it but they will. The crabs will also eat the stuff you cant see on the rocks and sand such as hair algae, tiny particles of food, fish waste etc.  As far as the snails, try not cleaning the glass as often. With a clean up crew like that you should be able to feed heavy and not worry about it. Keep an eye on Nitrates and Phosphates and you may need to clean your protein skimmer more often. I have about 25 scarlet hermits and 3 giant Turbo snails and they do the trick but my biggest algae eaters are my fish particularly  my Gold ring Bristle tooth or Kole's Tang. This guy is a algae eating fool. He eats more algae than all the other fish (all algae eaters) and clean up crew combined times 5.
            Jeff