Re: [ReefKeeping] ? about Ordering Marine fish on-line...

  • Greg Wade
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
      I've heard great things about LiveAquaria.com (Dr's. Foster & Smith) and ThatFishPlace.com. I think they both have some fish/corals they will not warrant but there is a disclaimer for them. I think most of the stock is covered by warranty.

      Greg

      On Nov 30, 2007 2:17 PM, Bryan Gifford <samwiseca@...> wrote:

      http://www.saltwaterfish.com/  they have been good to my friend and I for years.

      On Nov 30, 2007 1:36 PM, Terri A. Randall <randall@...> wrote:

      For people like myself that have no LFS, I could use some advice. Do any of you get your livestock on-line? Is there a very good retailer that you like? One that has good quality, healthy, fish, etc? Reasonable shipping prices, warrant live delivery, good to deal with etc?

      I'd love some recommendations please.
      Thank you~
      Terri Randall
      --
      -- Bryan
    • Tom McDorman
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007

        I have had very good experience with Dr Fosters and Smith

        http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

        I had one order that they sent me the wrong items.  I called, they gave me full credit and let me keep what they had shipped.  They also gave me a 30% discount on my next order.

        I’ve also used www.MarineDepot.com for both equipment and live fish items.   I have found them to have good equipment pricing in particular.

        Regards

        Tom

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
          Thank you Tom & everyone else for your helpful input. another question if you don't mind.....
          My dealer said a 2inch layer of sand is sufficient. I've heard others say to go with 4 inches. any preferences? Once again, this is a FOWLR set up.

          Can you start with a 2 inch base and then if you decide it's not deep enough add to it or will that present problems?

          Should I start with live sand? Or at least *some live sand? Dealer said it wasn't necessary as the live rock will seed the sand.

          Thoughts anyone?

          Thank you!

          My new 210 is going to be delivered on Thursday! I can't wait.

          Terri Randall
          Creature Comforts Pet Care
          Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
          APS List Owner

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007

            I have no opinion as to what is better, but the company who initially helped me install my system, used 4 inches of live sand.  The owner is a degreed marine biologist.  That said, he is running a business, so I can’t say if he sold me 4” and I only needed 2”.   My system however has been very robust and I’ve not had any issues.  It would be more difficult to add more sand later, so I suppose my input would be to start with 4” inches.

            I’ve only heard of using all live sand.  Maybe others can share more input on this?

            Regards

            Tom

            Thank you Tom & everyone else for your helpful input. another question if you don't mind.....

            My dealer said a 2inch layer of sand is sufficient. I've heard others say to go with 4 inches. any preferences? Once again, this is a FOWLR set up.

            Can you start with a 2 inch base and then if you decide it's not deep enough add to it or will that present problems?

            Should I start with live sand? Or at least *some live sand? Dealer said it wasn't necessary as the live rock will seed the sand.

            Thoughts anyone?

            Thank you!

            My new 210 is going to be delivered on Thursday! I can't wait.

            Terri Randall

            Creature Comforts Pet Care

            Sheridan, Wyoming 82801

            www.GotPaws. net

            APS List Owner

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
              I run about 1 - 2 inches.  Once again, it's what I have had success with, and I've tried everything from bare bottom to a plenum with 4 - 6" of sand.
              deeper than 2", you need to be careful and with particle size, to small, and you can have an anaerobic zone in the sand bed.
              Doug

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
                It is not necessary to add 100% live sand. If you added 10% live sand and 90% inert (dead) sand, pebbles, crushed coral, etc, it will all be live sand within a few months.

                If you had 100% dead sand and put in a few pounds of live rock, the sand bed will consist of 100% sand within six months.

                If you have 100 pounds of dried out and dead "live rock" and add 10 pounds of viable live rock, it will be 100% live rock within six months.

                Are you getting the picture? The microfauna and bacteria is what makes the live rock "live", not the coral and inverts.

                It's a good idea to import in some live sand occasionally to make the microfauna more heterogeneous.

                Did it hurt that you used 100% live sand? No, it is the best way to get the microfauna up and running, with the widest possibilty of species diversity.

                Not too long ago, I had a yound friend scoop up a styrofoam box of live sand from S. Padre Is. It was over a hundred pound's worth, and I had him scoop it up just before he left. I gave him the styrofoam box and twenty dollars to offset some of his gasoline costs. The sand was in my 750 reef in less than 24 hours after it left the ocean. The young friend, who works in construction, thought he made a killing on it because it took him less than a minute to shovel it up. He also brought me back some hermits crabs in a gallon jug of seawater, pro bono, because he wanted to see something that he contributed to the tank. Once I equalized the gallon of water, I dumped the water and critters directly in. Blue Leg Hermit Crabs from the Gulf of Mexico are notoriously hardy and are almost reef proof.

                Will 2" of sand work? Yes...But not nearly as well as six inchs, etc. Four to six inches is thought of as necessary to have anaerobic activity in the reduction of nitrates. Will that make your critters happier, even if you have a fish only tank. Of course...Anything that lowers nitrates makes the livestock more healthy and cuts down on necessary, but expensive and frequent water changes. I use about 8 inches of a mixture of various Arkansas River sand, ocean sand, crushed coral and crushed oyster shell (used for poultry egg production). Anything but colored aquarium gravel. A couple thousand pounds worth sits on the 120" x 48" bed footprint.

                Will a four to six inch bed save you money over the long run? Of course. Your critters will love you for it...LOL

                Don in Tulsa

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Ahhhh, you want that anaerobic zone in your bed, dummy. Have you ever heard of biological nitrate reduction? Just don't stir it up constantly and cause it all to be aerobic.
                  What do you think the two inches of sand becomes when it sits under live rock?

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
                    hello
                    your sand bed should be 5 inches or more to work
                    like it should ........I think.
                    tee

                  • Rich
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
                      One howling discrepancy in the discussion on sand bed depth is the GRAIN SIZE of the substrate.

                      Rich

                    • Donald Plisco
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007

                        True, to a degree. I like to mix the types.

                        Don