expertise needed for 4-H youth marine biology project

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007

      Is anyone available to volunteer their time to help our youth in the marine biology project learn more about this hobby?  We are located in Rancho Palos Verdes just six minutes off the 110 Harbor Freeway, furthest south exit in San Pedro, CA.  We would welcome any level of commitment whether as a one time speaker on a particular subject at our monthly meeting held the 1st Saturday of each month at 10a.m., tech support, or field trip to visit someplace which is both educational and fun for youth ages 10-18.  The MASLAC meetings are a bit far and too technical for most of the kids in our group though perhaps some of you remember our boys Chris and Brian who had come to meetings with us a couple years ago.  Chris was the enthusiast who had 11 tanks in operation at our home for a while.  He is off to college now in Santa Barbara and we are down to just two tanks in operation.  I am still leading the project for the club and would love some assistance.  I was learning along with the kids and my son Chris knew more than me.   He did a lot of volunteer work in the field himself with volunteering as a docent at Cabrillo Aquarium, diving and doing underwater photography thru an internship at the Aquarium of the Pacific and helping to start an aquarium club at his high school with donated tanks.  We have a lot of extra used equipment and frags we could share in exchange for some assistance.  Presently we have some equipment problems with our tanks that I think could be resolved easily by someone more knowledgeable. Help in this area would be most appreciated.

      Email me at nottohome@... direct if interested.

      Thank you.

      Nancy Otto

      "4-H is a community of young people across America who are learning citizenship, leadership and life skills."

    • ktadams2
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007
        Hi Nancy,
        I would like to offer your 4H club a free 5'x10' booth at "Marine
        Aquarium Expo" if you think it would help. Even though the event is
        nearly sold out I am still offering a few select clubs free booth
        space in the courtyard for the purpose of promoting their
        organization. The event is Two days: April 5 and 6, 2008 at the
        Orange County Fair & Exposition Center.
        http://www.ocfair.com/ocf/Calendar/ViewEvent.asp?EventId=758
        Just shoot me an e-mail if you are interested and I'll give you more
        details.
        thanks,
        Kevin Adams
        info@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007

            Hi Kevin,

            Thanks very much for this generous offer.  Let me ask the project members at our meeting next Saturday and I’ll get back to you.

            Best Regards,

            Nancy Otto

            (310) 779-5500 - cell

            nottohome@...